Sold my 71 Demon...

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
I found it difficult to come up with a price for my 71 Demon so I thought perhaps this will help others with pricing theirs. My car was a tribute to the 340 with all the exterior parts including the hood scoop holes with the rubber rings. It had been build as a /6 but a previous owner had put a strong 318 in it. 904 trans with 3.23 gearing in the rear. All new brakes parts including master. Aftermarket AC that I installed from Classic Auto Air, QA-1 front control arms and adjustable strut rod. Rebuilt stage 2 Firm feel steering box. The gauge cluster was replaced with Classic Instrumentation panel (available on Summit). The interior door panels were new reproductions and the seat upholstery, carpet and headliner were all new as well. New voltage regulator, alternator, distributor, Holley 600 cfm carb. The body was pretty much rust free from Idaho but had some bad dents and creases here and there so the quarters, driver door skin and rockers were replaced. I deleted the side marker lights by welding them shut. Paint was a close match to the original B5 but it was a Kirker Paint "Metallic Blue" 2 stage which looked awesome in the sun. The wheels are 17" Boyd's. I put it on marketplace and had 2 strong buyers the first day. The first guy gave me $10K as a down payment and was going to pay the remainder in a couple days but "had a family emergency" and asked to be released from the contract we had written up. I gladly gave it back and sent the other person a text that it fell through. He immediately called me, arranged for a trailer and drove 8 hours to pick it up. When he got to my place we did a little negotiating as he was extremely tall and had never sat in an A body before. I took $300 off to help him out with purchasing buckets which I told him he could mount a little further back if he wished. He then said that with the bench all the way back, he didn't think his 8 year old could fit in the rear seat...I got in (6'2") and surprise, surprise, surprise!, I fit!! Barely... He then just stood there and was all confused and shaky cause he hadn't slept much and was running on Red Bull. I asked him if he was staying in a hotel nearby cause he was in no condition to drive and he said yes. I said I'd pay his hotel if we had a deal and with that we shook on $23,300.
Could I have gotten more?? Maybe... I think if it had a 340 I could have done much better but with a 318 I was happy. I certainly don't make money on my cars as I tend to make everything as nice as can be and spare little expense but I enjoy myself doing it.

image0 - Copy (3).jpeg

image0 - Copy (4).jpeg

image0 - Copy (5).jpeg

image0 - Copy (7).jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1 - Copy (3).jpeg

image2 - Copy (2).jpeg

image2 - Copy (4).jpeg

image2 - Copy (5).jpeg

image3 - Copy.jpeg

Somebody got a nice car. Sorry for your loss.

that's a nice car and i think a very reasonable price. with a transaction like that, i don't think the buyer could've asked for more. you're a stand up dude.

I kept it longer than most. When the project is finished I long for a new one and of course the space to work on it so it was time. I've got a 51 GMC pickup which I finished 8 years ago and will probably hold onto. I did it in matte black and it is on air suspension so I can lower it. Anyways, I purchased an 07 VW bug which I am going to turn into a pickup truck with a Smyth Performance kit and paint it up like a "mini me" for the GMC. It will be a daily driver but will go to shows with the GMC side by side.
1688607118890.png

I kept it longer than most. When the project is finished I long for a new one and of course the space to work on it so it was time. I've got a 51 GMC pickup which I finished 8 years ago and will probably hold onto. I did it in matte black and it is on air suspension so I can lower it. Anyways, I purchased an 07 VW bug which I am going to turn into a pickup truck with a Smyth Performance kit and paint it up like a "mini me" for the GMC. It will be a daily driver but will go to shows with the GMC side by side.
View attachment 1716111065
Cool truck!

Thanks for providing a real price check at this moment in time!

Nice Duster too!

And for less than $25k! This only proves we wasted so much time running that other thread up to 10 pages. Shame on us!

Thanks for providing a real price check at this moment in time!

Nice Duster too!

And for less than $25k! This only proves we wasted so much time running that other thread up to 10 pages. Shame on us!
I'm wondering how many red x'es post #18 will get....

-
Back