Solid roller lifters

-
I will check when I get home. I'll see if there is one that is still round. These have less than 3000 miles on them. I have a separate thread on my issue. I don't want to take f

ha! Crap came from the lifters from ideling around town. The lifters may be ok for track use, but in my case it was the wrong application. I had muscle motors build the motor for me, I did not know enough about lifter selection etc. I guess that helped with my "good deal".
Wheel diameter measured .746 / .747".

So will someone give me some theory on why idle time is hard one a solid lifter/s
I would think 7500 rpm would be way harder on a solid roller then idle time??????

Same reason your car smooths out when it goes down a bumpy road fast versus slow.

In simple terms that make sence.
but at 7500 rpm, that rocker arm is beating the crap out of the valve stem, and the cam is doing the same thing to the roller lifter.
7500 times a minute compared to to 800-1200 time a minute.
Is there just not enough oil flinging around for proper lube at idle? Maybe the reason for pressure feed rollers on the lifter???

600# @ .720" lift. And then you haven't said how high your lift is. I suppose it is a secret, which is okay. I've run my Comp Cams 829-16 to 280# installed 780# open @ .800" lift.
setting at stop lights w/ 90-100 degree heat, idling, is a lot diff. than high rpm w/ a lot of oil splash for short periods of time, w/ a non direct feed lifter. 829-16`s are not direct feed.

setting at stop lights w/ 90-100 degree heat, idling, is a lot diff. than high rpm w/ a lot of oil splash for short periods of time, w/ a non direct feed lifter. 829-16`s are not direct feed.
I'm answering the OP's question. It is the reason I asked about the load and service he was subjecting the lifters to. It is a relatively light load in a race environment, 829's will work well.
Around 550 open . Strictly race. That is also only a few races a season. If the math is correct around 720hp. 13:1 comp
Nothing about cruzin' to the Dairy Queen there. I stand by my recommendation.

Wheel diameter measured .746 / .747".

New, those wheels were .750 diameter

I've never been a fan of using a lifter in a Chrysler with a wheel smaller than .810 diameter.
Even with the same lift as a Chevy small block, the base circl is bigger on a Chrysler cam. So...the wheel has to turn more RPM for the same RPM of crank speed than a Chevy. Did that make sense?
The further around the entire lobe, the more surface feet per minute the roller has to cover. That small diameter wheel has two disadvantages. The first is roller speed is higher than with a bigger wheel. At certain speeds, you can develop a harmonic just like a tuning fork. When I see fretting on the wheel, that's the first thing I think of. You were probably at an RPM for periods of time long enough to induce the harmonic that just eats up the wheel

The second issue with the smaller wheel is you have a smaller axle. The bigger wheel allows a bigger axle. Bigger is always better in high load applications.

That's my .02 on what I'm seeing.
BTW, what I just posted was told to me by Wayne Jesel. If it wasn't for him, I'd have quit drag racing long before I did.

but at 7500 rpm, that rocker arm is beating the crap out of the valve stem, and the cam is doing the same thing to the roller lifter.
Is there just not enough oil flinging around for proper lube at idle? Maybe the reason for pressure feed rollers on the lifter???

It's an issue of TIME. We need to account for time. Like the analogy above about the rough road, or it's the same with a dirt bike...faster over the rough stuff can make it smoother. Of course, if you screw up you get some quality sheet time at your local hospital.

That said, at lower RPM's the roller tends to skid rather than roll. Rockers suffer the same issue. As the RPM goes up, everything happens quicker and it tends to smooth thing out...until you get spring surge, valve float or seat bounce.

Also, guys have a hard on to keep oil pressure and flow at idle to damn near nothing. While you may save a few HP, that lack of pressure and flow is a killer on splash fed lifters. Even SFT lifters. I never let an engine of mine idle under 1000 and 1200 is better. Guys also like to brag their stuff with a 270 @ .050 cam will idle at 600 RPM in gear. What they don't get is they are just killing parts.

Splash oiling is ok if you don't monkey see-monkey do like other guys with different requirements than a Chrysler.

It's an issue of TIME. We need to account for time. Like the analogy above about the rough road, or it's the same with a dirt bike...faster over the rough stuff can make it smoother. Of course, if you screw up you get some quality sheet time at your local hospital.

That said, at lower RPM's the roller tends to skid rather than roll. Rockers suffer the same issue. As the RPM goes up, everything happens quicker and it tends to smooth thing out...until you get spring surge, valve float or seat bounce.

Also, guys have a hard on to keep oil pressure and flow at idle to damn near nothing. While you may save a few HP, that lack of pressure and flow is a killer on splash fed lifters. Even SFT lifters. I never let an engine of mine idle under 1000 and 1200 is better. Guys also like to brag their stuff with a 270 @ .050 cam will idle at 600 RPM in gear. What they don't get is they are just killing parts.

Splash oiling is ok if you don't monkey see-monkey do like other guys with different requirements than a Chrysler.
New, those wheels were .750 diameter

I've never been a fan of using a lifter in a Chrysler with a wheel smaller than .810 diameter.
Even with the same lift as a Chevy small block, the base circl is bigger on a Chrysler cam. So...the wheel has to turn more RPM for the same RPM of crank speed than a Chevy. Did that make sense?
The further around the entire lobe, the more surface feet per minute the roller has to cover. That small diameter wheel has two disadvantages. The first is roller speed is higher than with a bigger wheel. At certain speeds, you can develop a harmonic just like a tuning fork. When I see fretting on the wheel, that's the first thing I think of. You were probably at an RPM for periods of time long enough to induce the harmonic that just eats up the wheel

The second issue with the smaller wheel is you have a smaller axle. The bigger wheel allows a bigger axle. Bigger is always better in high load applications.

That's my .02 on what I'm seeing.
BTW, what I just posted was told to me by Wayne Jesel. If it wasn't for him, I'd have quit drag racing long before I did.
Excellent information.

Thanks dartlove and everyone else who has been posting and providing feedback. I have learned a few things from this thread. My motor comes out next week and I will let you know what I end up choosing for a valve train set up for the street. Andrew

I run my cars at 1000 to 1100rpm at idle. I try to not let the oil pressure below 25psi, except at the end of a run where it might dip down to 10 or 12psi.

Well I pulled the trigger and am going with Bam solid roller lifters
They are an excellent choice, especially if running on the street. In a 600 HP, solid roller cammed, 360 stroker I had so much oil going to the roller I had to block off the oil in the lifter. Still we used the lifters in a daily driven fashion for 1-1/2 years and the lifters still are perfect and are going back into the engine. Probably fire it back up sometime this week.

I'm going with the crowers 66233E-16. Bushed. I called Isky 3 times today and everyone was late for work over a 3 hour period. I couldn't find a tech to talk to. Lost my sale. Crower was very responsive and answered all my questions.

I'm going with the crowers 66233E-16. Bushed. I called Isky 3 times today and everyone was late for work over a 3 hour period. I couldn't find a tech to talk to. Lost my sale. Crower was very responsive and answered all my questions.

Those have the .812 bearing. Those should be bad ***.

66238X903H here....

Offset intakes for my W2s
Big wheels
Hippo Oil Fed

Shane was very helpfull and gave me a great price.

66238X903H here....

Offset intakes for my W2s
Big wheels
Hippo Oil Fed

Shane was very helpfull and gave me a great price.

You should be golden with those. And if the price I s found was right, at about $1200.00 that's a good price for that lifter.

------------------------------------BINGO!----------------------------------

LAST QUESTION HIT IT ON THE HEAD.

My new Crowers... Lookin good.
Notice the offset cups.
IMG_20170907_201056.jpg
IMG_20170907_201018.jpg
IMG_20170907_201140.jpg

-
Back