Some 4.56 gear questions!!

-
Dusterdude, both wheels spinning the same way is a "sure" indication that you have a suregrip. What case do you have??? If its a 489 case it is more than likely that it is the Auburn cone style unit, but of course with a 4:56 ratio somebody has obviously been in there so you may get lucky and find the Spicer clutchpak in there. Maybe sometime when you need to get in there you'll find out for sure, but for now I'd just run it as is. I think in the long run, you'll still find that the 4:56 is too tall, even for the street. My brother blu340dart had a 4:56 in his old 69 Roadrunner and it just ate the gears up driving it on the street. That car never saw a trip over 30 miles and even then, it just ate them up. They're just not made for street driving, only short blasts!!! Good luck with that Duster bro!!! By the way, did you still need that trans inspection cover?? We never got together on that!!! Geof

Dusterdude, both wheels spinning the same way is a "sure" indication that you have a suregrip. What case do you have??? If its a 489 case it is more than likely that it is the Auburn cone style unit, but of course with a 4:56 ratio somebody has obviously been in there so you may get lucky and find the Spicer clutchpak in there. Maybe sometime when you need to get in there you'll find out for sure, but for now I'd just run it as is. I think in the long run, you'll still find that the 4:56 is too tall, even for the street. My brother blu340dart had a 4:56 in his old 69 Roadrunner and it just ate the gears up driving it on the street. That car never saw a trip over 30 miles and even then, it just ate them up. They're just not made for street driving, only short blasts!!! Good luck with that Duster bro!!! By the way, did you still need that trans inspection cover?? We never got together on that!!! Geof

No I never bothered with the idea of inspection cover, I may down the road but I figured for now to get it up and running that it wasnt a MUST HAVE part lol.

you you are probably right about the 4.56 gear so I will wait till I get it on the road and feel it out a bit but I will probably down the road down size a couple sizes....but who knows?

as for the rear end, it is a 489 case!

I see that the seal leaks a smidge (couple little drip spots on the garage floor so I may pop it off and take a look at things and reseal it one of these days......still a ton of other stuff on the list of things to do first though LOL.

yes though we need to meet up sometime rather it be a car show or to exchange parts or whatever the case.....being that were not that far from one another and all.

thanks for the help and input buddy ,I appreciate it

i dont remember but their is something ither on bigblockdart.com or moparts that shows what gear to get for the speedo with the tire you have and gears... plus that 275/60/15 i believe is 28 in not 27 i have the same with bf radials t/a.....if you dont have the money for gears...get a bigger tire like 30in or something for the street

-
Back