Some bushing/shock questions

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Hey well my car is getting closer to road worthy ive even drove it around a lil but no left fender so no lights = no crusing nights :( bummer anywas, woo finaly :thumbup: anyways now that i get some actual money at my new job i want to upgrade my supsention. first off my drivers side lower ball joint is bad that needs to be replaced soon.

what i want: i want my car to handle awesome, good bushings, shocks, sway bars all that.
feel free to say some somewhat pricey stuff, im not thinking of going alterkation...yet lol or coils but what are my best options. i was thinking kyb for shocks but i heard some bad stuff, i dont want them to go limp after 1 year of driving. Is moog a good brand(we have it at work lifetime warenty), how about energy suspension, or just suspension? I also want to go the the strip ocasionaly so i would like to perhas have shocks i can make so the back will let me take off fast also. hm...o and ya power steering kinda sucks way to easy, but o well for now. should i get new pitman arms and all that or just new bushings, also should i wait to order anything untill after i get disc brakes? they are from a 73 val, do i need the big ball joint then? i'll post more questions as they come up. o and yes im going to install sub frame connectors

I just went thru this with my car, a 67 cuda. I used 74 disc brakes, the cap upper control arms to get 5 degrees of caster and KYB's. No problem with the KYB's yet. Yes, I believe you'll need the big ball joints for the 73 spindles...buy them for the spindle. I found a 1 1/8th " sway bar and poly bushings for it. The rest of the front end was done with stock replacement parts. As for the UCL's you can try the offset bushings from moog and see if you can get enough caster or use the ones I did. I like them alot..I'm still looking for a rear sway bar, but it does handle well now. One more thing...go with a newer master cyl (alum) and get the adapter. It should have a smaller bore and although you'll have more pedal travel it will need less pedal pressure. Thats on my todo list...Bob

Your tire choice will have the biggest effect. You will want a real High Performance tire, not BFG radial TAs or something like that.

If it was me I would first rebuild the front end and rear not missing anything. Upgrade the braking system while I got the front end apart and install a front and rear sway arms. (like Robbie has done)NAPA parts is all I would use. But if you want however you can use the new poly stuff. Go with some 17" wheels and get as much meat on the ground as possible. Handling around curves and such is not my style but getting the car quick as possible down the strip is. I like the Pro street look with slim tires on the front and big boys on the back. Where the front sway bar is actually disconnected or threw in the trash. lol. I have never heard any trouble with the KYBs and have them on my Dodge ram.

provided that you already have a sway bar.
keep in mind the only things to improve handling (while keeping the stock hard parts) are :

tires - keep the profile low to keep the sidewall from walking
I went with 60 series goodyear eagle tires (about middle of the road)
bushings - poly=tighter feel rubber=longevity
I chose rubber (no way in hell I'm changing the LCA bushing again)
shocks - fairly cheap so try and try again.
I went with GABRIEL premium . can't say how they ride b/c the car isnt on the road yet.

that's what I'm doing for my DD. I was really surprised to find out just how bad the front end was when I tore it apart. (it drove bad but still drivable but had no UCA bushings on the driver side.)

-
Back