Some dyno testing you guys may want to follow on YouTube

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I should have edited this earlier but this is not a test I’m doing or know anything about. I quickly did a copy and paste and had a couple phone calls at the same time. I put it here for your enjoyment. I will probably read the comments but won’t be watching the tests.

Trick Flow vs Speedmaster heads.
I'm am doing a little comparison between Trick Flow Heads and Speed Master heads.
I built two 360 LA strokers going to the dyno. Both engines have a 4 inch crank, Lunati Voodoo hydraulic roller cam 20200712lk, Eddy Air gap, 780 pro system carb (using the same carb), Doug's headers, m72hv, hv water pump, Milodon windage tray, and both have 10.4 to 1 compression.
Stroker #1 has Trick Flow Heads with 1.6 PRW rockers, IC745 pistons with .001 positive deck and .040 head gaskets to get ..039 quench.
Stroker #2 has Speedmaster CNC ported heads that were bought bare and has new Comp springs, new valves, and 1.6 Harland Sharps. It has IC9978 pistons with negative .012 height and .027 Commetic gaskets to get .039 quench as well.
Stroker #1 goes to Darrell Watters dyno on April 27, and stroker #2 goes May 4. This should be a fairly close comparison of the heads.
What do y'all think the hp and torque numbers will be? Both will be for sale after the dyno.
Stroker #1 is on YouTube now if you want to hear it. Just look under Terry Brighton (Brightonracing)

IMG_2517.jpeg

Last edited:
Brighton is saying this motor has Speedmaster heads which would make it stroker #2, said it’s got 9.9cr and belongs to a guy in Louisiana??
Edit: My bad, I found stroker #1 - Another guy in LA has a very similar build with SM heads…
Looking forward to the dyno pulls!
I’ll say 485hp & 520tq

Last edited:
I'd say around 500 hp for the TF's, not sure what the CNC SM flow.

Nice little shootout, Looking forward to the results.

Thanks for the heads up @pittsburghracer ill follow along. Were these heads ported similarly? Or are the trick flows out of the box and the speedmasters cnc ported out of the box?
I guess the question is how much work did you do to each set?

Thanks for the heads up @pittsburghracer ill follow along. Were these heads ported similarly? Or are the trick flows out of the box and the speedmasters cnc ported out of the box?
I guess the question is how much work did you do to each set?

You know as much as I do. I only saw this posted on Facebook and know you guys enjoy this stuff. I won’t be following along.

Guys I had nothing to do with these builds. Nothing. I Dont know anyone involved in this test.
The quote you pasted in the OP makes it sound like it's coming from you, might want to put it into quotations might help a little, some probably still miss it :)

I thought at 1st it was yours, but thought it was weird you were doing a dyno shootout :)

You won’t learn much testing like that. Comparing cylinder heads on different short blocks makes zero sense.

The correct way to do it is put the heads on the same short block.

Anything else just tells you one engine made different power than another. You can’t compare the heads.

Trick Flow vs Speedmaster heads.
I'm am doing a little comparison between Trick Flow Heads and Speed Master heads.
I built two 360 LA strokers going to the dyno. Both engines have a 4 inch crank, Lunati Voodoo hydraulic roller cam 20200712lk, Eddy Air gap, 780 pro system carb (using the same carb), Doug's headers, m72hv, hv water pump, Milodon windage tray, and both have 10.4 to 1 compression.
Stroker #1 has Trick Flow Heads with 1.6 PRW rockers, IC745 pistons with .001 positive deck and .040 head gaskets to get ..039 quench.
Stroker #2 has Speedmaster CNC ported heads that were bought bare and has new Comp springs, new valves, and 1.6 Harland Sharps. It has IC9978 pistons with negative .012 height and .027 Commetic gaskets to get .039 quench as well.
Stroker #1 goes to Darrell Watters dyno on April 27, and stroker #2 goes May 4. This should be a fairly close comparison of the heads.
What do y'all think the hp and torque numbers will be? Both will be for sale after the dyno.
Stroker #1 is on YouTube now if you want to hear it. Just look under Terry Brighton (Brightonracing)

View attachment 1716237520

Pittsburghracer, what are your thoughts on the negative . 012 deck height?

Last edited:
Pittsburghracer, what are your thoughts on the negative . 012 deck height.

I’ve ran a lot of blocks that weren’t squared or cut for a long long time. Each and every combo was in the hole. I hear the word quench thrown around a lot but in the case of my sons 360. The pistons were flat tops well in the hole, felpro 1008 head gasket, open chamber 340 style Edelbrock heads, and it ran 10.30’s@3200 pounds. So I guess sometimes something that shouldn’t work by the book, works. Would I lose sleep over .012????? Hell no.

Pittsburghracer, what are your thoughts on the negative . 012 deck height.

I’m going to add on more thing here. I would probably have the 1-2-7-8 pistons in to see if it was worse than .012 deck height checking square. Then make a decision. Just to make sure.

-
Back