Some dyno testing you guys may want to follow on YouTube

-
Looking at the builders YouTube channel………it appears he’s no stranger to the street, street/strip SBM Mopar builds.

Looking at the builders YouTube channel………it appears he’s no stranger to the street, street/strip SBM Mopar builds.
Yeah, Pretty sure Terry is a Chinadian trying to survive here in the province of Onterrible. J.Rob

I sure wish this test were with some PBR prepped heads. The CNC Speedmaster heads seem to be all over the map with quality. The head I have for testing is 200cc, 93% throat and flows 266 cfm.

I sure wish this test were with some PBR prepped heads. The CNC Speedmaster heads seem to be all over the map with quality. The head I have for testing is 200cc, 93% throat and flows 266 cfm.
I am building a stroker short block right now with the sole purpose of testing some speedmasters, edelbrock rpms and trickflow ootb heads on the dyno. While I agree it would be really interesting to see what some heads done by pbr would do the problem is they are not a widely available part to the general public. I would also like to test several other heads but time and money limit me to testing what would be the most accessible/available and likely sets of heads to be used by the average enthusiast.

I am building a stroker short block right now with the sole purpose of testing some speedmasters, edelbrock rpms and trickflow ootb heads on the dyno. While I agree it would be really interesting to see what some heads done by pbr would do the problem is they are not a widely available part to the general public. I would also like to test several other heads but time and money limit me to testing what would be the most accessible/available and likely sets of heads to be used by the average enthusiast.
Do you have a dyno date scheduled yet, or is this something out in the future? I think there are many folks that would love to see these results.

Do you have a dyno date scheduled yet, or is this something out in the future? I think there are many folks that would love to see these results.

Waiting on parts. Actually I think all that's missing now is pin bushings. And they say they will be here tomorrow. If that's the case it won't be too long before it's on the pump.

When your just a bystander, you can’t really complain if someone else’s dyno testing doesn’t follow the priorities you’d have if it was your test.

That being said, “if it were me”……. And I was going to orchestrate a SBM head shootout test……..I’d want to use a short block and induction/exhaust system that would make it so the heads are the HP limitation.
Big enough cam, maybe a ported manifold, good sized carb and headers…….parts you’d expect to be capable of producing in the area of 600hp.
Then, see how much of a limitation each head presents to the combo.

Well I am very fortunate as we own the dyno so that part of it is covered (although still not free by any means lol). We will be testing several intakes as well but unfortunately as of this point the trickflow is still backordered and showing available in June?, so that may not be in the line up.

When your just a bystander, you can’t really complain if someone else’s dyno testing doesn’t follow the priorities you’d have if it was your test.

That being said, “if it were me”……. And I was going to orchestrate a SBM head shootout test……..I’d want to use a short block and induction/exhaust system that would make it so the heads are the HP limitation.
Big enough cam, maybe a ported manifold, good sized carb and headers…….parts you’d expect to be capable of producing in the area of 600hp.
Then, see how much of a limitation each head presents to the combo.
This is very close to what I am doing, 410 with 11.1 compression and an older hughes/engle sft with 257/266 @.050, .587/.602 lift on a 107 ls. So far for intakes we have an rpm, victor, m1, also 1 7/8 headers and an 830cfm blp carb.

Well I am very fortunate as we own the dyno so that part of it is covered (although still not free by any means lol). We will be testing several intakes as well but unfortunately as of this point the trickflow is still backordered and showing available in June?, so that may not be in the line up.
What heads do you have so far? OOTB or ported?

The first round of testing will be with ootb heads and intakes, the heads are speedmasters, edelbrock rpms and trickflows, there might be one more set of heads in the test as well. After the initial test the rpm heads will get a basic port job by @Newbomb Turk (since that was why they were there in the first place) and tested again, the plan is to do "some" intake porting as well but which intakes and how much porting is not set in stone.

The first round of testing will be with ootb heads and intakes, the heads are speedmasters, edelbrock rpms and trickflows, there might be one more set of heads in the test as well. After the initial test the rpm heads will get a basic port job by @Newbomb Turk (since that was why they were there in the first place) and tested again, the plan is to do "some" intake porting as well but which intakes and how much porting is not set in stone.
What heads do you have and what heads do you need? I have some stuff laying around.

What heads do you have and what heads do you need? I have some stuff laying around.
Thank you and I really appreciate the offer but I think we are good with the heads we have for this test. What we really need is a trickflow intake, I ordered one quite a while ago and the date keeps getting pushed further out, I think it is estimated to be in July now!.

I like dyno and flow bench stuff the guys who port 318 heads just to say they were ported I figure its a waste of time without proof that it actually worked.

I like dyno and flow bench stuff the guys who port 318 heads just to say they were ported I figure its a waste of time without proof that it actually worked.

A lot of guys consider taking a sanding roll to a set of heads, head porting. Sorry but that’s a buff n shine.

A lot of guys consider taking a sanding roll to a set of heads, head porting. Sorry but that’s a buff n shine.
Yup I would want to know if the cfm in the runner improved etc. Its just seat of the pants without the numbers. I'm sure you know PBR you get these cfm numbers then you can determine what cam selection etc. it starts getting to be more thought work than people realize . I'm no expert but I've seen and heard stories of guys "catalog building" engines that just don't perform.

Yup I would want to know if the cfm in the runner improved etc. Its just seat of the pants without the numbers. I'm sure you know PBR you get these cfm numbers then you can determine what cam selection etc. it starts getting to be more thought work than people realize . I'm no expert but I've seen and heard stories of guys "catalog building" engines that just don't perform.

We all do stupid stuff but if we continue to do stupid stuff hopefully we learn. In the 79’s we read Ragizines and thought wow that might help me. Like putting 5:57 gears in your street cars. It only made our sucky tires that were available suck more. Ask me how I know.

Thank you and I really appreciate the offer but I think we are good with the heads we have for this test. What we really need is a trickflow intake, I ordered one quite a while ago and the date keeps getting pushed further out, I think it is estimated to be in July now!.
as long as I get it back when you are done with it. I have a BrandNew in the box Weiand tunnel ram you could throw in the mix. It will need to be ported though.

as long as I get it back when you are done with it. I have a BrandNew in the box Weiand tunnel ram you could throw in the mix. It will need to be ported though.

Don’t tempt me…if I had 2 carbs laying around here I’d do that in a New York second.

Oh wait…I do…

-
Back