Some of the older country songs sound better with a little pop and hiss on the radio

-

340doc

Reaction score
When I'm in the mood to listen to country music, sometimes I'll listen to an AM station about 80 miles up the road. They play more older stuff than the local stations. Was listening today and "Family Tradition" by Hank Jr. came on. I cranked it up and it just sounded right with the occasional static and airwave noise.

Yes they do. There is no depth with digital sound reproduction.

yup. we listen to a lot of older recordings, both country and swing. i can't stand listening to a remastered version with everything "cleaned up".

They either quit making real country or they quit playing, but what passes nowadays for country music is garbage, nothing but dimadozen pop songs with a twang and a bad fake accent

nothing's better than listening to the old records with some light scratches to take you back in time......

nothing's better than listening to the old records with some light scratches to take you back in time......
Your right. I remember fondly as a kid, tuning my AM radio in my bedroom in the dark for a song to fall asleep to!

And the more limited audio frequency range of an AM station makes them sound more like they did back in the day. AM stations are limited to 5kHz audio range, while FM are limited at 15 kHz. (My dad was a radio engineer, and owned and operated an AM station in the 50's and 60', and I used to help him do and FCC 'proofs', which included testing the audio range transmitted.)

Of course, when you add in all sorts of audio modern compressors, that distorts the ratio of loud and quiet sounds. I can tell when the compressor is adjusted for loud, crashy rock n'roll or the modern country rap (yes, it is c.r.a.p.); it messes up the old recordings, of all types.

When I bought my truck, I got a free subscription for a year to SiriusXM radio. I enjoy it so much, I kept it. There are 3 old country stations that I listen to a lot. My favorite is Willie's Roadhouse.

-
Back