Some people... (B-body owner of course)

-

dgibby

Reaction score
So I'm out last night picking up something I bought off the local classifieds. The guy opens his garage and sitting in the back is pretty clean Charger that looks like he's been working on. Looks like a 72 to me, has hidden head lights, and I think 72 SE came with them. So I say " nice car, 72?" and he says, no its a 74 SE, its the only year with hidden headlamps. I thought well, maybe, I'm really not a B body guy. Then I say, "big block car?" and he tells me, No, its a 383?? I'm like OK, this guy doesn't have a clue. The he proceeds to tell me that his dad has a Mopar 454 big block for it that he took out of a 68 charger?? that they are going to put in it. At that point, I gave up, bought what I came for, and left..

Sounds like 95% of the experts at car shows, half the people on the internet, and most everybody that stops me in a parking lot or yells at a traffic light.

And then there is the old lady in the grocery store parking lot that knows exactly what car and what year even though you have no badging or indication on the car at all.:D

And then there is the old lady in the grocery store parking lot that knows exactly what car and what year even though you have no badging or indication on the car at all.:D
Funny you say that. I had it happen with a lady a Lowes.

so you found what you wanted on craigslist
contacted the guy
was able to go over there
buy what you wanted and leave without being raped murdered or more?

wehh, wehh

(nothing personal you see, but ive been trying to catch this guy selling a 3rd row seat for a yukon (i want it for my plowtruck) and hes no where to be found)

After reading the story, I figure its the guys dad's car, and he doesn't have a clue. Poser is what we call folk like that.

I bought a 74 Charger in Detroit about 15 years ago from a quick change oil change place off of 8 mile... The guy was "selling it for a friend" and said it had a big block 383 in it...

It was originally a 318 car.... I popped the hood and it was a small block with a 4 bbl...

It turned out to be a 360 that was transplanted into it, but they really thought it was a big block because they put big block spark plugs in it.... :BangHead: :wtf:

contacted the guy

wehh, wehh

(nothing personal you see, but ive been trying to catch this guy selling a 3rd row seat for a yukon (i want it for my plowtruck) and hes no where to be found)
If you look again he said he found the item on the local classifieds. Not Craigslist. So the odds of being axe murdered are slightly less.

If you look again he said he found the item on the local classifieds. Not Craigslist. So the odds of being axe murdered are slightly less.
I guess I'm so digitalized I forget print classifieds still exist
(On a side note, I left the guy a voicemail, still no reply)

I can’t fault a guy like that too much. Sure, he doesn’t really understand...but at least he still has a passion to keep the old car going. The more he tries, the more he learns.

It’s really on those of us who do understand these cars to help teach those that don’t know...and keep the passion alive.

It’s too easy to look down our nose and let the passion of another budding enthusiast die because we know more than they do and choose not to educate.

After all, who will be left to teach when we walk away?

Sounds like 95% of the experts at car shows, half the people on the internet, and most everybody that stops me in a parking lot or yells at a traffic light.
-----------------------------------this

Hey not all b body owners are that way, I have both a and b. B body was my first car.

Maybe the OP should go over to FBBO and make his declaration.

Hell, I met a guy one time who said he had a numbers matching factory Keith Black Hemi powered '65 'Cuda.

Pffffttt... A-body guys, right?

Maybe the OP should go over to FBBO and make his declaration.

Hell, I met a guy one time who said he had a numbers matching factory Keith Black Hemi powered '65 'Cuda.

Pffffttt... A-body guys, right?
I'm sure that feller claimed it was a B body cuda too, don t you know all cudas were B bodies ?
:poke:

It’s really on those of us who do understand these cars to help teach those that don’t know...and keep the passion alive.

It’s too easy to look down our nose and let the passion of another budding enthusiast die because we know more than they do and choose not to educate.
Agree. And yet, sometimes you just want to share - to get it off your mind. OP should feel safe to post his experience here. I didn't take the B-body swipe seriously, I sure hope it wasn't meant seriously.
So what to do?
So, did you give him the url for here or FBBO? Sounds like he could really use the education.
Nice idea.
But how to do this?
Anything said that contradicts the person will put them on the defensive, and from there its downhill. 95% of the time anyway.
A redirect that suggests checking further, checking something authoritative probably hasa better chance.
"Interesting. First I've heard of something like that. Might want to look at the sales books from those years"
"Did you you know there's a nice collection digitized on the internet? ....its called Hamtramck Historical, after one of the Chrysler factories.."
That's enough info to get him or her started if they chose. It also plants a seeds of doubt on their 'facts'. Heck they might even ask you for what you think is correct. At that point they're open to listening.

Agree. And yet, sometimes you just want to share - to get it off your mind. OP should feel safe to post his experience here. I didn't take the B-body swipe seriously, I sure hope it wasn't meant seriously.
So what to do?

Nice idea.
But how to do this?
Anything said that contradicts the person will put them on the defensive, and from there its downhill. 95% of the time anyway.
A redirect that suggests checking further, checking something authoritative probably hasa better chance.
"Interesting. First I've heard of something like that. Might want to look at the sales books from those years"
"Did you you know there's a nice collection digitized on the internet? ....its called Hamtramck Historical, after one of the Chrysler factories.."
That's enough info to get him or her started if they chose. It also plants a seeds of doubt on their 'facts'. Heck they might even ask you for what you think is correct. At that point they're open to listening.

Actually, I didn't know rather to take it seriously or not. That's why one of my responses was meant with utmost sarcasm.

The fact is there are all kinds out there who haven't a clue and need the education and help.

We have guys coming on here who ask the most basic of questions. Some make fun of them, some don't. The fact is the only dumb answer is the one that goes unasked.

I also know of a lot of guys who shoot from the hip and start talking, rather they have anything to say or not. I know a few guys who get around car guys and they feel intimidated and think they, too, should know something rather it's true or not. Social anxiety plays a role in this, other times it's just trying to impress.

Personally, I would have told him it's an awesome car and good luck with his build.

Your suggestions are well noted. I like mine just as well. Giving him the websites with no pressure would help, too. A few minutes of reading as a lurker might spark the urge to learn in his brain without making him feel like an idiot. Coming on strong and telling him flat out the a 454 is a Chevy engine, the '72 SE was the last year and package for the hideaway headlights, and telling him a 383 is a Mopar B (colloquial big block) would put him on the defensive.

Either way, he'll get an education when he goes to buy parts. The parts guy will tell him there is no such thing as a 454 Mopar. When he insists he put a 454 in it, they'll sell him parts for a Chevy, which won't fit, and he'll either think he's right and throw his *** they sold him the wrong parts or wake up and realize he erred.

I'd rather he find out the easy way instead of the hard way

At least he didn't say it was a 'Bee-body' because it had a bumblebee stripe around the rear. I've heard that one before.

And you've heard of the "big block" 318 right? Then of course there's the RB 383.
Confusion can happen.

..........stops me in a parking lot or yells at a traffic light.
Lol.
One day I drove my Barracuda to the local Speedway gas station and had a guy (guessing around the same age) start telling me who I got my car from and rattling off about it. I explained how he was wrong and told him of the previous owner as well as two others prior. He was insistent I was wrong and he remembers everything about my car. In lieu of the awkward argument at the gas station I just let it and him go.
BTW, It was in fact another Barracuda, a '68 that he was thinking of, but he refused to believe he was wrong.

I've got a belvedere with a 350ci 340 in it. Trying to explain that to most people makes their brain broken.

I remember when I was a solid B body guy...latelty I'm lucky if I score a D plus

contacted the guy

wehh, wehh

Funny i have bought plenry og cars and parts off craiglist for years...never had a prob..bouhht this last nite fact red/red 68 dart 270 hardtop..and cheap!

Here

20180417_181428.jpg

20180417_181428.jpg

-
Back