Someone tried to be smart and screwed-up my intake manifold

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Look at what the previous mechanic did (before I took the car)

This is the old carb (Solex) setup ... check out the flange...

P1040684.jpg
P1040683.jpg

He ground and welded the original setup and put the new carb with the flange Fwd-Aft orientation. Original Holley 1920 should be left to right.

Now I have to grind the weld off and see if I can install the 1920 the correct way! Errr...

Syed

since the manifold is already botched get a transdapt 2bbl adapter (from small bolt to holley pattern)machine the manifold flat and mount it sideways (with the barrels front to back on the manifold linkage towards the firewall) mark the small pattern holes and drill and tap them to bolt the adapter plate down, you may need a spacer for clearance(i think 1/2")

i did this for my slant and it runs beautiful. i have a comp cams cam high ratio rockers the hei conversion on a seperated ign circuit and this mod for the carb and mine idles at 350 in gear and 400 in park cleanly (doesnt try dying or anything idles like a sewwing machine lol) i have drivin a factory super six aspen and mine revs cleaner and idles happier i highly rec this mod i forgot to take pics for a write up though.....

since the manifold is already botched .....

This manifold is not "botched." Grind/ chisel off the bolt head, remove the plate, weld a nut if necessary to the stub, or use vise grips and unscrew the damn thing.

Shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hour to get the whole thing off there.

This manifold is not "botched." Grind/ chisel off the bolt head, remove the plate, weld a nut if necessary to the stub, or use vise grips and unscrew the damn thing.

Shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hour to get the whole thing off there.

Thanks for the tip :)

Will try to do that this weekend and let you know how it turn out.

Syed

It looks like there was an adaptor made to install the Solex. Just remove the carb and adaptor to install a factory carb.

It looks like there was an adaptor made to install the Solex. Just remove the carb and adaptor to install a factory carb.

Yeah will do this weekend. Just that the "adapter" could have been made without grinding-off half of the bolt head...

Just makin' sure, the 1920 Holley carb is supposed to be installed directly on the manifold with the supplied gasket only, and not using any gasket sealant. Am I right?

Thanks

Syed

Correct. The base gasket should be about 1/4" thick so don't get carried away cranking down the bolts or you might warp/break the base flange of the carb. Just snug them up and check them periodically. You'll probably have to retighten them 2-3 times in the first month as the gasket will compress and the bolts will loosen.

gasket only yes ur right ... none of that hucky pucky on there ... well at least thats the way i do it and never had one leak

Some people shouldn't own tools! I've spent weeks fixing all the stuff that the last "Ace Mechanic" did to my '65. I just take one thing at a time,fix it RIGHT,then move on to the next thing I find.

Managed to chisel out the damn half-head bolt on saturday...

P1040684.jpg

P1040705.jpg

Whats left of the "adapter"

P1040702.jpg

The half-headed bolt :p

P1040701.jpg

The old Solex is now an impromptu ashtray :p

P1040707.jpg

Cleaned the old gasket on the manifold

P1040717.jpg

P1040713.jpg

Walla!! Holley 1920 Installed with the correct kickdown link and started with just 1 crank!

Im a happy papa :)

Syed

-
Back