Someone's stirring up the Bees Nest about "you" doing the work at Self-checkouts

-
I feel I should get a discount! Sad thing is I'm faster than most of the cashiers I encounter..... and then there's the people in front of you at the cash self checkout that don't even know how to ring their stuff up in a rapid manner....

Home Depot, Lowes and other supersize stores closed out mom & pop operations with the promise of actually providing more jobs AND making it more convenient for everybody. But then they cut down the number of people. I go to the cashier & stand in line. I like when someone comes over and tells me the self serves are open. I say I don't like using the job-robbers.
You used to actually be able to find good help, they were hiring pro's "back in the day"
Took me 15 minutes to walk around, find someone to call someone to help me in the plumbing dept. Twice I had to go find someone to make the announcement over the PA. Then the guy couldn't find what I needed. This was Lowes cause its closest, had to go to HD anyway.

Last edited:
...I'm faster than most of the cashiers I encounter..... and then there's the people in front of you at the cash self checkout that don't even know how to ring their stuff up in a rapid manner....

How often have you been stuck behind someone at the self checkout at Sam;s Club and they have to search for the bar code on every item they have in their cart?
Come on people!
It's so easy to load your cart while shopping so the bar code is easily visible without even having to move any package when checking out. Use the hand-held bar code scanner to scan every item in just a few seconds and you're done.
This ain't rocket science.

Home Depot, Lowes and other supersize stores closed out mom & pop operations with the promise of actually providing more jobs AND making it more convenient for everybody. But then they cut down the number of people. You used to actually be able to find good help, the were hiring pro's "back in the day"
Took me 15 minutes to walk around, find someone to call someone to help me in the plumbing dept. Twice I had to go find someone to make the announcement over the PA. Then the guy couldnt find what I needed. This was Lowes cause its closest, had to go to HD anyway.
Hey you're actually right first time I did a walk-in shower almost 30 years ago there was a tile tech working at Home Depot. He was very helpful! Every now and then you'll find a retired plumber or electrician working one of them places but it's become rare

How often have you been stuck behind someone at the self checkout at Sam;s Club and they have to search for the bar code on every item they have in their cart?
Come on people!
It's so easy to load your cart while shopping so the bar code is easily visible without even having to move any package when checking out. Use the hand-held bar code scanner to scan every item in just a few seconds and you're done.
This ain't rocket science.
Some people just have no sense of urgency and move about sloth like.... it makes me wonder what they do for a living,or if they've ever actually worked a day in their life

"IF" I wanted to work as a cashier I'd fill out a job application!!!! It pisses me off when they don't have cashiers to handle it OR they put the slowest person ringing register so you "pay" for not using self checkout.

I not only want them to check me out I WANT THEM TO THANK ME FOR THE BUSINESS!!! What happened to customer "service"??

Last edited:
^^ exactly man it pisses me off every time I go in there I probably say when I see 10 new machines and one person standing "guard" over them, "there went 10 jobs!"

Some people just have no sense of urgency and move about sloth like.... it makes me wonder what they do for a living,or if they've ever actually worked a day in their life
Well, I see it the other way.............I miss the days when things moved at a slower pace. No Sunday shopping so families were able to take a nice leisurely drive without some other driver balls to the wall right up their ***. Today it's immediate gratification....no one can wait. Back in the day, we had lay away plans where you didn't get the new guitar until you actually paid for it.........A real nice incentive to bust your *** at a part-time job. Today, slap it on Visa and pay the 29%....At least there is no waiting. I must be getting old. I sound like my dad!:)

Employee wages are calculated into the price of every product on the shelf, guaranteed. I don't use the self-checkouts because I'm paying that wage, so in my mind there should be someone at that register.

I didn't watch the video, but I'm inclined to agree that I shouldn't pay that part of the price. Anyone that's ever run a business knows labor is the greatest expense.

Also, for those of you unawares, Steve Lehto is also a prolific writer and a big Mopar guy. Go back through your issues of Mopar Action--you'll find articles he's written. He's also written books about the wing cars, Bobby Isaac, and the Chrysler Turbine car as well.

Well, I see it the other way.............I miss the days when things moved at a slower pace. No Sunday shopping so families were able to take a nice leisurely drive without some other driver balls to the wall right up their ***. Today it's immediate gratification....no one can wait. Back in the day, we had lay away plans where you didn't get the new guitar until you actually paid for it.........A real nice incentive to bust your *** at a part-time job. Today, slap it on Visa and pay the 29%....At least there is no waiting. I must be getting old. I sound like my dad!:)
I liked lay away! And Sears! Lol ! I've lost count of how many guitars I've had.... I do like these your family days but if I'm in the store and I'm forced to use a self-checkout I'd appreciate the people hustling! Lol I didn't grow up with a cell phone in my hand or a computer we didn't have instant gratification back then and I really don't like it that's another one of my peeves.. how is it handy to be able to pop a map and hang up on your phone or Google for "this" in a strange area, so you can find out where to go, for whatever it is you need? It is pretty handy...

The self check out businesses really like when you ask who to send the bill to for your time and doing the job you’re paying them for. I usually get the deer in the head lights look and the complimentary smile that they have no idea what I mean.

The self check out businesses really like when you ask who to send the bill to for your time and doing the job you’re paying them for. I usually get the deer in the head lights look and the complimentary smile that they have no idea what I mean.
The Walmart reader turn receipt checker if I don't shove the receipt in their hand when they want to check my receipt check my items if I even dare go into that place which I don't like to my old lady still does sometimes I just look at em and tell em, "I bill by the minute, but for this it's going to be by the second!" They usually get rid of me very quickly...

I love the women on line for 5 minutes before and then after everything is rung up opens her pocketbook and starts looking for her credit card or money.

I love the women on line for 5 minutes before and then after everything is rung up opens her pocketbook and starts looking for her credit card or money.
That's another thing it'll piss me right off, no respect for other people's time! I don't like standing in line and I don't want to be at the convenience of someone else who's just totally out of reality...

I've stopped shopping at CVS because of their self-checkout system. EVERY attempt at a simple task is excruciating and the "assistants" are ALWAYS elsewhere. Seems all of their shoppers go thru this ritual.

Plus, WTF with small counters to place your items on? Especially at Home Depot and Lowes. They should have carts at checkout to put your into.

Only a fool will work for no pay . I'll never use a self check out unless I get at least 15 to 20 percent off for doing so. The greed of these corporations it totally out of control .

I shop once a month and with prices the way they are now I'm spending over 400 bucks at Walmart, with a cart filled to the brim, I was in line, no one behind me and the checkout girl with a really shitty attitude said why didn't you go to the self-checkout, I said I'd feel better if you did it and she grunted like I was making her do her job, she just had a piiss poor attitude. I let her get halve way through and said you need a different job and walked out. I went to the small Food Lion a little down the road that's been there forever, all was good, no more Walmart.

Last edited:
I prefer to do self checkout every chance I get. I even make a game to see if I can get out of Lowe's without having an employee talk to me.

Scanning the item is the easy part bagging is what takes the time.

My idea was to have self checkout BUT with baggers to bag the purchases.

A couple decades ago in so cal the local grocery workers wanted to unionize. ( I never knew that a cash register was a skilled trade)

Due to their striking I changed my purchasing habits and stopped shopping at grocery stores.

In the end they did not get a union and they lost out on the entire thing, being replaced with self checkout isles.

I shop once a month and with prices the way they are now I'm spending over 400 bucks at Walmart, with a cart filled to the brim, I was in line, no one behind me and the checkout girl with a really shitty attitude said why didn't you go to the self-checkout, I said I'd feel better if you did it and she grunted like I was making her do her job, she just had a piiss poor attitude I let her get halve way through and said you need a different job and walked out. I went to the small Food Lion a little down the road that's been there forever, all was good, no more Walmart.
Right On Brother!

Right On Brother!
I have done that more than one time in my life lol...... The reality of it is the companies who have Self-Checkouts will not lose a dime! They will pass the cost to the customers...... Penny by penny they will sneak it in. That's how business works unfortunately.

JW

I have done that more than one time in my life lol...... The reality of it is the companies who have Self-Checkouts will not lose a dime! They will pass the cost to the customers...... Penny by penny they will sneak it in. That's how business works unfortunately.

JW
Unfortunately you're highly correct! I also have been known to step out on people with real quickness..

I shop once a month and with prices the way they are now I'm spending over 400 bucks at Walmart, with a cart filled to the brim, I was in line, no one behind me and the checkout girl with a really shitty attitude said why didn't you go to the self-checkout, I said I'd feel better if you did it and she grunted like I was making her do her job, she just had a piiss poor attitude I let her get halve way through and said you need a different job and walked out. I went to the small Food Lion a little down the road that's been there forever, all was good, no more Walmart.
I was at a Mom and Pop hardware store with about $150 in the basket. I still needed another $100 or so when the checkout dude came over and said in a sarcastic way "you realize that the store closes in 5 minutes right". LOL......I said I'd need a little more time than that, put my basket down on the floor, and went to the Home Depot. Customer service is the only way that these small stores can survive with the big fish, and he dropped the ball.

I was at a Mom and Pop hardware store with about $150 in the basket. I still needed another $100 or so when the checkout dude came over and said in a sarcastic way "you realize that the store closes in 5 minutes right". LOL......I said I'd need a little more time than that, put my basket down on the floor, and went to the Home Depot. Customer service is the only way that these small stores can survive with the big fish, and he dropped the ball.
I told him " look man, I'll be out of here, when I'm finished grabbing my stuff, this is going to be about a 1/4 of a grand purchase, and I'm sure the owner, your boss, would appreciate my business! If you're absolutely correct when the Mom and Pops got no customer service, I'm out! That's why I deal with a lot of warehouses they're generally on customer service but everything's so cheap if you own a business I avoid the big stores like a plague

I told him " look man, I'll be out of here, when I'm finished grabbing my stuff, this is going to be about a 1/4 of a grand purchase, and I'm sure the owner, your boss, would appreciate my business! If you're absolutely correct when the Mom and Pops got no customer service, I'm out! That's why I deal with a lot of warehouses they're generally on customer service but everything's so cheap if you own a business I avoid the big stores like a plague
I try to patronize the smaller places even for a little more $$. Once they are gone, the big boys will be able to do anything they want.

-
Back