Someone's stirring up the Bees Nest about "you" doing the work at Self-checkouts

-
Stop using them. Stop shopping at stores that force you to use them.
They have implemented them in all chains. Publix, Wd, HD, Lowes, DG, the only way around is to go hit the meat market and hit the vegetable stand.... I kind of think it's to make it easier to implement the cashless Society, and of course just plain old corporate greed like the Wef says " the 4th Industrial Revolution"

...but some of it is the people's fault as well as they want everything right now

Isn't that the truth?
It seems like everyone wants instant gratification and it's too much trouble for some of them to read the rules.
The company I work for has a website to make purchases from. Some of the items we sell are electronic access codes for eBooks. We do not keep those access codes in our inventory, but have to process an order and send it to the publisher. The publisher then processes our order and sends us the access code to send to our customer.
Our website specifically says that the customer-purchased access codes will be sent to them within 24-48 hours, Monday-Friday excluding holidays.
One of these customers placed his website order on Sunday (02/12). I processed his order first thing Monday (02/13), processed our order to the publisher, and emailed the access code to the customer as soon as it was received that same afternoon (02/13). Today I received an email from the customer advising he no longer wants the access code because he thought he would receive it immediately and had to wait until the day after he placed his order.
Although our website also states the access codes cannot be returned for a refund, I checked with the publisher and found it had not been activated. I notified the customer we will process our refund as soon as we receive confirmation of our credit from the publisher.

My favorite thing to do is go to Lowes to get my building supplies, and put everything on my cart. Then when I go to check out, if there are no checkout people there, I ask why not. Then when they tell me that they don't have the help, I say "well you better find some to put all this stuff back on the shelves, and leave it and walk out! Then I go to Home Depot.
Home Depot isn't any better. They went to self check outs way before Lowe's did. Thank goodness that Walmart put in more check out lanes when they remodeled their stores. We ALL have the power to stop this foolishness by not using the self check outs. For years people went through check out lanes and now they are to busy, busy doing what? My job was nothing but overtime, any where from 50-70 a week and with 50 being the minimum and I always went through the check out lanes, went to the bank and cut my own grass, took the wife out, still seen family. I don't think it's that they are busy, lazy is more like it. Another thing that I didn't like was people going to the store on Thanksgiving, I remember being in the store a couple of days before Thanksgiving and the check out person was mad because she had to work Thanksgiving day and I said that anybody who comes in on Thanksgiving day should have to work their job on Thanksgiving day. Didn't mean to get away from the topic

They have implemented them in all chains. Publix, Wd, HD, Lowes, DG, the only way around is to go hit the meat market and hit the vegetable stand.... I kind of think it's to make it easier to implement the cashless Society, and of course just plain old corporate greed like the Wef says " the 4th Industrial Revolution"
There's another thing, people complain about the cashless society but yet they use debit cards, charge cards, smart phones to pay for things. I'm old school, I don't have a debit card or a atm card, I don't pay bills or bank online,or buy online and I have one charge card, I pay all of my bills by check and I use the post office. And I'm proud to say that the company I worked at for 27 years that I was the very last person to go direct deposit. It's sad that there are people in today's society who have a hard time counting money. I don't like it when they put your change in your hands any old way and don't count it back to you like they are suppose to.

Let's not go there on this thread
I guess you could say since I mentioned the next president and his policy that is getting slightly in the political Arena appreciate the advice thanks Mike! Ps, somehow I thought this was already in N@Pit must be in general discussion

I hear all these complaints about self checkouts, but how many of you refuse to use them. The last time (and I mean "last time") I went to Walmart, they had no cashier registers open. I went to the self checkout, and told the women to check me out. She said do it yourself. I said "I don't know how". She said "Just do it like this". I said "fine, keep going". She said "NO". I said "OK I guess no one else can use this machine, now" and I stood there for about 10 minutes. Then left leaving all my items sitting there. If they can't afford to pay someone to check me out, let them pay someone to put my stuff back on the shelf. I refuse to go into walmart again.

Amen to all the stories above. I feel the same way about it, making me do the store's work for them. My local Home Depot has only one check-out clerk, everything else is self check-out. You do it yourself or stand in the conga line for the clerk who does the commercial sales. I fixed the problem by going to Lowe's but that's not much better.

In my area, I refuse the self check out. I think I've used it three or four times. The cashiers have learned to just run my things through for me, and I hand them the cash just like the regular register

Last edited:
When I go to Home Depot I ALWAYS go to the lumber checkout because I guess that builders and such can't be trusted to self checkout? And I can honestly say that I have NEVER used a self checkout anywhere!

I miss the days when things moved at a slower pace.
I can get into that, but in addition to the other good reasons to be cross about self-checkout, I resent being slowed down because even when it's working, the system is deliberately set to make…you…go…verrrrrrrryyyy…sllllllowwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllyyyyy. I'm not a moron, and this isn't difficult; if the system would let me, I could scan all my stuff and key in my produce codes almost as quickly and efficiently as a cashier. But no, I have to scan one item, wait for the system to say "…Thirteen…seventy…nine…Please…place the item…in the bag…", put that item in the bag, scan the next item, wait for "…Six…fifty…two…Please…place the item…in the bag…", put that item in the bag, etc. And that's when the system is working 100 per cent, which it never is. It's always full of "…Please…re-scan…last…item…" and "…Unauthorised…item…detected…in…bagging…area…" and "…Please…remove…last…item…from…bag…and…wait…for…attendant…" and "…Please…place…item…in…bag………please…place…item…in…bag………please…place…item…in…bag…".

Last edited:
I can get into that, but in addition to the other good reasons to be cross about self-checkout, I resent being slowed down because even when it's working, the system is deliberately set to make…you…go…verrrrrrrryyyy…sllllllowwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllyyyyy. I'm not a moron, and this isn't difficult; if the system would let me, I could scan all my stuff and key in my produce codes almost as quickly and efficiently as a cashier. But no, I have to scan one item, wait for the system to say "…Thirteen…seventy…nine…", put that item in the bag, scan the next item, wait for "…Six…fifty…two…", put that item in the bag, etc. And that's when the system is working 100 per cent, which it never is. It's always full of "…Please…re-scan…last…item…" and "…Unauthorised…item…detected…in…bagging…area…" and "…Please…remove…last…item…from…bag…and…wait…for…attendant…" and "…Please…place…item…in…bag………please…place…item…in…bag………please…place…item…in…bag…".
Exactly! It's as if it was designed to be self defeating.

I don't mind the self check. I'm usually quicker than they are anyway and there's less of a wait. Win-win! Do you guys still write checks? :poke:

My god you all are a bunch of grumpy old men.

I have been paying my bills online since I could and if I have cash it's a surprise to me.

I prefer to check out my own stuff so I don't have to make idle chit chat, and I can get out faster.

Going by what's been said on the news. I don't think that they prosecute for shoplifting like they use to. St.louis has a back log of over 4000 cases now for different crimes
In my county there was a lady that stole a couple of snacks supposedly "to feed her kids" and took her to jail.

You're too nice. lol That person would be wearing a steak. My wife doesn't like taking me out in public anymore because of that fact.
I punched a guy in the nose at the gas pump last year for tailgating me. He didn't pay attention to the warnings I gave him for several blocks.
I thought I was too nice, too. Although, after the note I wrote to corporate, we got a call from the district manager Monday and got a coupon for $40 off our next visit.

My god you all are a bunch of grumpy old men.

I have been paying my bills online since I could and if I have cash it's a surprise to me.

I prefer to check out my own stuff so I don't have to make idle chit chat, and I can get out faster.
We rarely and I mean RARELY write checks anymore. We wrote ONE the other day to the local gun store in Gray for a new firearm only because their card machine was down. I think that was the first one in a solid year at least. I'd have to look.

I don't mind the self check. I'm usually quicker than they are anyway and there's less of a wait. Win-win! Do you guys still write checks? :poke:
My problem with the self checkout isn't that it's slow.....well, it IS slow, but without fail EVERY SINGLE TIME, an associate has to come over and "unlock" the machine from some sort of error. That defeats the whole purpose, so we don't use them at all anymore.

....and dang right I'm a grumpy old man. That's my right as a taxpaying American. lol

I use the “self checkout” at Costco. There are up to three employees with hand scanners that scan my items in the cart. I don’t have to remove anything and all I have to do is flash the credit card. It is faster than the regular line where you have to pull your items from the cart and put them on the conveyor belt.

I went into CVS today to buy a Valentine’s Day card. There was an employee at the self checkout who did everything for me for one item. It was faster than waiting for the dude behind the counter.

Years ago the tech people were saying that the future would bring FID sensors in the shopping cart that would automatically tally up your items and all you would have to do is flash your credit card at the checkout station. I don’t know what happened to that proposed system.
Would you actually WANT THAT?

1676449047542.gif

There's another thing, people complain about the cashless society but yet they use debit cards, charge cards, smart phones to pay for things. I'm old school, I don't have a debit card or a atm card, I don't pay bills or bank online,or buy online and I have one charge card, I pay all of my bills by check and I use the post office. And I'm proud to say that the company I worked at for 27 years that I was the very last person to go direct deposit. It's sad that there are people in today's society who have a hard time counting money. I don't like it when they put your change in your hands any old way and don't count it back to you like they are suppose to.
I stopped at Culver's last night for some food. The young lad at the cash regester short changed me so I pointed out his mistake. The kid had a rough time getting my change back with the numbers on the register. He opened his hand and counted 4 pennies by pointing at them with his other hand. Sad for sure.

I'm old school. I use cash most of the time, and if I should happen to be short on cash or buying a big ticket item, I write a paper check. I have an antenna for tv, have a flip phone that doesn't do text. and drive a car that doesn't have a computer. I have a lot of plastic cards, because that gives me a real good debt ratio, and credit score. I use each card about one per month on a rotating basis, to keep the accounts active, and haven't carried any balance in many years. I don't need the stores or government tracking everything I do. I will admit I do have a home computer, or you wouldn't be able to see this rant.

Last edited:
We wrote ONE the other day to the local gun store in Gray for a new firearm only because their card machine was down. I think that was the first one in a solid year at least. I'd have to look.
I used to go through a box of checks a year. I have a box that I got 10 years ago. Like the energiser bunny it's still going.

Now I am still a have the paper bills delivered to my house kind of guy.

Too many things get lost in my e mail AND if I have the paper I have a record.

My daughter's laugh at me when I print out a boarding pass.

I use my phone BUT if it dies, I can't get cell signal, ect. I have a back up.

Years ago the tech people were saying that the future would bring FID sensors in the shopping cart that would automatically tally up your items and all you would have to do is flash your credit card at the checkout station. I don’t know what happened to that proposed system
Last I heard was RFID tags had a problem going through dense objects like a gallon of milk.

I like the Scan and Go, I don't have to interact with anyone! (Except the person at the door)

I scan as I load my cart, I have totes like the PO uses in my car, from the shelf to the cart to the tote in my car. Heck I could just put the totes in the cart!

In the last few years my wife and I have been using the online order go pick it up method.

Only thing that worries me is not getting something I ordered, only to know after I get home.

-
Back