something is wrong!?

-

Nokke

Reaction score
hey guys what do you guys think is wrong my car has 555 brake hp and weights with me in 3285 lbs 4.30 gears and caltracs and i only manage 6.94 97.56 mph 1/8 and in 1/4 11.02 119mph with 1,52 60 feet i think my final mph is to low with that power what is wrong?? happy for answer

What engine \ convertor \ gear \ tire size and what rpm are you shifting at.(shift points)
Your not that far off.
Could just be the jetting.

408 stroker 1050 dominator carburator/jw 8 inch converter/4.30 gears/30*9 inch hoosiers shift at 6500 rpm

What cylinder heads do you have and what are your cam specs.

What is your compression and what gas are you burning.
I think your car is running great.

I for one, think you should 60 ft. better than that, with that much power. 60 ft. is where the E.T. comes from.

Myself, I would throw more gear at it.

Of course, you are talking to a guy that use to run a 5:38 gear with a big block, and 60 foot times were around 1:37 to 1:39.

With that short of tire, I would at least go 4:56 on the gear.

First I would say a Small carb might help. I know people like big carbs, but you might be amazed what it would run like with a 950 or so on it.

i would leave the gear, im wondering about your timming curve, and is that a 4500 series 1050? your car should run in the 120 mph range from watching my buds 416, 4.30 geared 28 in tall 3000 lb cuda, it runs 10.8os 120-123 mph. thats with a 750 witch i dont think is big enough.

i would leave the gear, im wondering about your timming curve, and is that a 4500 series 1050? your car should run in the 120 mph range from watching my buds 416, 4.30 geared 28 in tall 3000 lb cuda, it runs 10.8os 120-123 mph. thats with a 750 witch i dont think is big enough.
His opening post says he is making the horse power, 555, and his 60 foot time is down. I guess we need more information, but more gear will build a fire under it.

First I would say a Small carb might help. I know people like big carbs, but you might be amazed what it would run like with a 950 or so on it.

agreed. i'd be real curious to see what an 850 would do.

hello guys yes the carb is a 1050 dominator 4500 with changeble air bleeds. The stall on the convertor i dont now for sure its a jw custom built 8 inch but my trans-b is not working so i havent checked the stall. my timing curve is 32 deegrees advanced but there is a problem we cant now for sure what kind of timing we had in the bench because i messed up with the springs in distributor and had original springs and maybe i didnt rev the engine enough to get it fully advanced. But i am afraid to take it higher up in timing if something happens. The fuel i am driving on is shell v-power 99 octan swedish premium gas station fuel. The camshaft is a comp cams roller xr286r 576/582 050 248/254 cylinder heads indy 210 cc. I thought of change carb but i dont whant to change because i did use it in the bench and did srew in it there.. happy for answers

DSC_4441.jpg

you are making great power on the top -end , sounds like 600 plus, if the advance spings are to tight it wont advance quick enough, i think if you had 20 degrees at idle with it all in @ 1800 rpm, the motor will be nice and crisp, also if the carb is to fat in the lowr rpm range-that extra timming makes it act like its not rich. leads to quicker 60fts. how flat is your fuel curve ??

What rpm are you trapping at?
What is the altitude at the strip you are running at? Higher altitudes or bad air will slow you down.

Put your car on diet.
Change to a 9 1/2 inch converter,somewhere around 3800 rpm
Set timing around 35 all in at 3000 rpm.
Your hp is 450 rwhp off your weight and mph at the traps.
Your cars working well according to your trap speed versus et.
Change to a 750 Holley.

Here's my street car that runs on 92 octane gas.
750 holley dp.
took out the 100 octane and put in 92 octane.
Went from a 10.82 et to a 10.71 with just a gas change.
Built car to run 92 octane.

This time is off the juice.
Threw the mufflers.
2010-07-23222628.jpg

IMGP0230.jpg

Street car Street sleeper.
If I put the 3.5 tires back on the front it would 60ft time better.
P7160038.jpg

hey guys i think i have found the problem a fault with the distributor i have had 28 degrees timing all the time and that whas the beginning timing in the bench and then it made 484 hp on 28 degrees and 555 on 32 degrees so to day i when to the track and go testing but i didnt make it long whent in to the burn box burned 1 st 2 st 3rd to rev limiter when the drive shaft between trans and rear axle snapped and destroyed the gearbox housing and the right header and the mufflers

hey guys i think i have found the problem a fault with the distributor i have had 28 degrees timing all the time and that whas the beginning timing in the bench and then it made 484 hp on 28 degrees and 555 on 32 degrees so to day i when to the track and go testing but i didnt make it long whent in to the burn box burned 1 st 2 st 3rd to rev limiter when the drive shaft between trans and rear axle snapped and destroyed the gearbox housing and the right header and the mufflers
Sorry to hear your problems.(been there)I was told by my tranny builder,to always do your burnout in 2nd gear.Iguess doing the burnout in 1st,2nd,3rd is harder on the tranny.Good luck with your times.

Sorry to hear your problems.(been there)I was told by my tranny builder,to always do your burnout in 2nd gear.Iguess doing the burnout in 1st,2nd,3rd is harder on the tranny.Good luck with your times.

it the low band apply deal with some manual valve bodies. The low band isn't applied in low gear and if you have a driveline failure, the sprag has potential of failing and a front drum explosion. With the low band applied, it provides an additional level of protection from the front drum over-revving. The drum spins at up to 2.2x engine RPM. It's mostly a big deal with 727's, not so much with a 904.

I do my burnouts in high gear only (727)

Get her back together and try it again.

car needs to take off harder 60ft should down in the 1.30s then it will mitply all the way down the track. make the car run to the 330 cone. then tune it for the 1/4 mile

Mph says you're down around 40hp from your dyno pull. Prob the timing issue there. If the convertor is designed for the brake, use it. Then see what it does. IMO, 4.30s is not enough gear with a 30" tire. What rpm did the 555hp come at on the dyno?

My first guess, the converter is not right. Front suspension may be holding it back as well.

The car leaves soft. 1.52 at that weight with 550hp it should be 1.40 or better if the car worked right. There are cars with 475hp, sporting low 1.40 60's and running roughly the same et/mph in the 1/8 at 3350 pounds. Brian's (OU812) car with the car craft build ran those numbers.

If everything was right, the car should be running 10.30ish at 128-129.

-
Back