Something made me scratch my head

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK!!! Here is what I am woundering becouse my 170/ runs much better then before, and I don't mean just a little bit better it real runs much stronger.

I changed the plugs just a couple days ago and went with the proper plugs.
I did what 66aCUDA said and Dan and other / guru's here said to go to...

Here is why I scratched my head and thought about what I did.
Remember I have a 66 model drool tube factory 170 head..

The old plugs I pulled out had washers on them and about a 1/8'' shorter.
The new plugs I did removed the washers and they are a bit longer.... The NJK plugs go farther into my head then the old Champions did... So did I have lower compression with the old plugs ? and higher compression with the longer NGK plugs
Taking up more room in my cylinder = a little bit of more compression I believe :-k

Am I crazy ????, or did this accrue by just doing my matching electronic system and getting rid of the original old points coil and just installing the NGK plugs to make my little / feel mush better ?

This is what made me scratch my head :-k or chin 8-[

Attachments

• Picture 222.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 222 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 317
Sounds like it is because your running/using a strong electrical system now is why. This means more bang for the buck

Sounds like it is because your running/using a strong electrical system now is why. This means more bang for the buck
I wish I had a /6 head setting some where and see just how much room the NGK took up in the cylinder compared to the other plug
The ECU and new hotter coil along with the plugs I am sure helped the outcome. But I was thinking about taking up more room it might have raised my compression just a bit.
I guess I was thinking to much about it tonight after another cruise I took today. Silly of me to think that I guess 1970Duster.

I wish I had a /6 head setting some where and see just how much room the NGK took up in the cylinder compared to the other plug
The ECU and new hotter coil along with the plugs I am sure helped the outcome. But I was thinking about taking up more room it might have raised my compression just a bit.
I guess I was thinking to much about it tonight after another cruise I took today. Silly of me to think that I guess 1970Duster.

what are the two plug numbers you are/were running? i have a head layin around i can cc a chamber with a and b plugs if i head up to the parts store...

the electronic ign does wonders even compared to well tuned points!

also NGK Vs. autolite 275?? either/or?

I have been running electronic system for over a year with the blue box and it puked gunk on my fender but still ran, I just put a new coil,plugs and ECU on this weekend
The plugs are in the trash outside, I will dig one out and see witch Champion plug was in it tomorrow.

You'd never feel ONLY the difference in compression the plugs could have cause "by the seat of your pants.

Here's one possibility:

Do I understand --that you changed the plugs, the coil, and the box?

Here's one possibility---the "insides" of a Mopar box work JUST like points, that is--

the box switches the coil on/ off AND IT HAS a "condenser" (capacitor) inside the box JUST like your old points distributor did.

'S also possible - assuming you changed the coil - that it was a little on the lame side, too.

So what else did you change? Plug wires?

It's very possible that the old box, overheating and puking guts--also deteriorated the capacitor, causing reduced spark

You'd never feel ONLY the difference in compression the plugs could have cause "by the seat of your pants.

Here's one possibility:

Do I understand --that you changed the plugs, the coil, and the box?

Here's one possibility---the "insides" of a Mopar box work JUST like points, that is--

the box switches the coil on/ off AND IT HAS a "condenser" (capacitor) inside the box JUST like your old points distributor did.

'S also possible - assuming you changed the coil - that it was a little on the lame side, too.

So what else did you change? Plug wires?

It's very possible that the old box, overheating and puking guts--also deteriorated the capacitor, causing reduced spark

I changed to a new coil made for electronic system ramoved the original old coil that was put there from the factory for points.
I took the blue box off and got an ECU for a 225 electronic 4 pin truck "NAPA"
Installed NGK plugs.

I am still running the new wires I put on when I changed to electronic 2 years ago .
I bet you are right, I was just thinking if the the plugs "and they was" shorter and had the washer it might have had something to do with my happy results :iconbigg: so if anything, I had a little bit low compression all the time becouse the plugs was not all the way in. I am sure you are correct, Thank you.

Ah,victoria likes a good spark and some fresh cold air,you,ve made your cold air intake and sounds like it,s working good Mike.:iconbigg:

You were running the metal washers on the old plugs. They were not sealing the cylinders well and you were losing compression and power. You upgraded to better plugs, removed the washers so they would seal correctly and put a much stronger ignition on. There is your answer.

I think it was the hotter spark, especially the coil.
If you had a leakage past the plugs, you would see it.....
It would be obvious.
Compression increase? Minimal. Not enough to make a difference.
NGK plugs are better than champions at any rate.
The electronic ignition, coil, and plugs is where you saw your increase, Mike, in my opinion.
A good tune up and the mods you describe is what gave you the power.
My 2 cents.
Tom.

Ah,victoria likes a good spark and some fresh cold air,you,ve made your cold air intake and sounds like it,s working good Mike.:iconbigg:
She sure does Scott, and thank you :iconbigg: I am proud of my fresh air system :iconbigg:, I am so glad I finely got this dun, we have some cold air heading this way and rain with it. I am so happy with the extra power I am getting. Give me 4 second leed on a 1/8 mile and we could be crossing the line at the same time :burnout::iconbigg:

You were running the metal washers on the old plugs. They were not sealing the cylinders well and you were losing compression and power. You upgraded to better plugs, removed the washers so they would seal correctly and put a much stronger ignition on. There is your answer.

I did not put the plugs in, they was new when I received my sweet hart Victoria :iconbigg:
Yall are write, I just had a week spark and an old factory coil and I upgraded to what I should have when I put the electronic system in.
I agree :iconbigg:, I just did a good job getting this behind me :iconbigg:
Victoria took her heels off and gave me a strong launch and never quit ripping the tires off of her and I was amazed :burnout:

When spring get's here I will spin my Holley to face the engine " Thank you StrokerScamp :iconbigg:

Attachments

• Picture 087.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 217
I think it was the hotter spark, especially the coil.
If you had a leakage past the plugs, you would see it.....
It would be obvious.
Compression increase? Minimal. Not enough to make a difference.
NGK plugs are better than champions at any rate.
The electronic ignition, coil, and plugs is where you saw your increase, Mike, in my opinion.
A good tune up and the mods you describe is what gave you the power.
My 2 cents.
Tom.
Thank you Tom, I was setting here scratching my head about it and got ta thing to much about it and learned something tonight and got it cleared up, Now I can stop wondering :grin:

Tune ups are underated.
It was ready for one, she just didn't let me know, ran like a lady before and know she runs like a hooker chasing a man down :iconbigg::iconbigg: Thank you sr71mopar.
Tune ups are underrated = a good bumper sticker :iconbigg::iconbigg:

Pssssst Mike, Billy says maybe it's just the great big blue nitrous bottle in Victoria's trunk heh heh heh hehhhhhh

Pssssst Mike, Billy says maybe it's just the great big blue nitrous bottle in Victoria's trunk heh heh heh hehhhhhh

:-$:-$:-$ :grin: It's two small shots hid in here on ice Leanna :glasses2:

:cool:

Attachments

• June%20third%202010%20helping%20Creed%20Clean%20My%20Closet%20area%20OUT!%20010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 173
-
Back