Son wants a thumper cam...which one?

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
Hey all, my son and I are working on a toy for him. We have a clean 70 440

and 727. Going to keep the comperssion stock at about 9.7. It has good

clean 906 now but will change to 452's for the correct seats if we have to.

Going to run fender well headers and 355 out back with a 8 3/4. Dual plane

intake is in the works and a 750 will be enough we think?? Its not for racing

but it wilbe thumping around on the street and a litte tire burning HAHAH. Do

you have any suggestions for a good thumper that a 20 year old would be

happy with and not hurt the combination? We will be getting a stall

converter too. Its going in a 67 Dart that we are changing the front brakes

on. Thanks for all the help everyone has given to us in the past month.

Jeff

Not too crazy of a cam ..but a decent thump that will work with the parts we are going to get.

Jeff

I don't know much about those cams and don't want to give out false info. LOL But I will "bump" it back up for ya maybe some one will chime in!

I think daves66valiant is running one of those cams.

If I had a car like that when I was 20 I would have never made it to 21 .I am thinking a nice 360 will do.I Just hope your 20 year old is not a real big gear head.LOL Jim

It's hard to recommend a MP cam after all the problems I've heard about, but something similar to a .484 Mopar cam would be nice.

Maybe the Comp Cams PP284H. It should work with the 3.55 gears, especially in a smaller car. They claim a "lopey" idle, but still strong midrange. They sell lifters separately, don't forget to order them too. Always a good idea to use matching springs.

If the budget permits, a hydralic roller cam would be nice and give you peace of mind. Look at the XR274HR-10

It's hard to recommend a MP cam after all the problems I've heard about, but something similar to a .484 Mopar cam would be nice.

Now that I can comment on. I had a Mopar .484 cam in a 383 and it worked wonderful in the motor. It had a lopey idle but was not "over cammed".

The Comp XE, XE-HL or Lunati Voodoo have some really good grinds.

Thanks guys...they sound good...he is looking up the information now and will pick the one with the best sound. Hell we all know how a 20 year old is..about 200 years ago I was one too.
Yup 68383 GTS...he is like me loving to live on the edge..but I think that he has a lot better head on his shoulders than me.....I was stupid enough to spend 1652 days in Iraq and am chomping at the bitt to go back....

Jeff

I have the mutha thumpr roller in a 408. New build that sounds great and pulls 560HP. Joe Sherman built the engine and uses comp cams pretty exclusively. He likes the performance of this cam over the XE line. It was built for sound but has proven to make big power. It is a very streetable cam.

Comp .510 lift has a great sound, not to radical with olenty of low end torque. The .545 hs a better lick but may be to radical.

I have a street big block with the mopar 509-292 camshaft, tings the headers good, lopely idle.

Mopar 1968..my son told me last night about just that cam..I think thats the one that he will use.

Thanks all

Thanks guys...they sound good...he is looking up the information now and will pick the one with the best sound. Hell we all know how a 20 year old is..about 200 years ago I was one too.
Yup 68383 GTS...he is like me loving to live on the edge..but I think that he has a lot better head on his shoulders than me.....I was stupid enough to spend 1652 days in Iraq and am chomping at the bitt to go back....

Jeff

Wow! 365 days was enough for me!

-
Back