Source For Booster/Master

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys im in need or a new master cylinder and booster for my 73 swinger (disc/drum) going to disc disc in the near future. You guys have a part number for the booster and master? nobody seems to be able to get it anymore

I found a good deal on Ebay.Brand new repo under $200.00.

Attachments

• under hood 001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 255
Could give Rock Auto a try...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1088591&parttype=1884

I'll bet that it's not that A1 Cardone has stopped remanufacturing these, but that the parts store warehouses don't stock them any more and it would have to be special ordered.

Oreilly said the only thing A1 will do is refurbish, you cannot order one from them, special order or otherwise. Autozone was only able to get that its a non orderable part per A1. And for whatever reason I always forget rockauto on these hard to get parts...

EDIT: rockauto cant get it

Yea we installed one on a 67 Non P/B cuda and I may have to go that way...

I found the same thing only mine was a chrome booster and master...I had to change the fittings around front to rear &rear to front of the brake lines otherwise it was putting the rear brakes on first...But other than that works great...Bill

There was one for ~$130 I recall on ebay that several here bought and posted about. It appears to use a Chevy booster w/ an adapter for their threaded rod. They had to grind a rod shorter to not hit the firewall, but otherwise worked fine.

If you don't care about originality, a booster/MC from a newer car can work. I have one from a ~95 Breeze on my 65 Dart, using 73 Dart booster brackets and lever. That gives a light aluminum MC and no ugly rust. Was cheap at the junkyard and parts are easy.

I used Dr Diffs mastr and coupled it to an MBM booster unit. Had to run out the MC bolt holes a bit but braking is awesome.

There was one for ~$130 I recall on ebay that several here bought and posted about. It appears to use a Chevy booster w/ an adapter for their threaded rod. They had to grind a rod shorter to not hit the firewall, but otherwise worked fine.

If you don't care about originality, a booster/MC from a newer car can work. I have one from a ~95 Breeze on my 65 Dart, using 73 Dart booster brackets and lever. That gives a light aluminum MC and no ugly rust. Was cheap at the junkyard and parts are easy.

good to know! what would have a small diameter (7 or 8 in) dual diaphram?

I used Dr Diffs mastr and coupled it to an MBM booster unit. Had to run out the MC bolt holes a bit but braking is awesome.

Uh....come again? this time in english? LOL

I understood most of it, but what's an "MBM booster unit"? And when you say that you "had to run out the MC bolt holes", does that mean that you had to enlarge the bolt holes on the Master Cylinder?

I only ask because I'm considering replacing my iron Master Cylinder with a later model aluminum unit. Pretty much what Dr. Diff sells. I'm just concerned about that stiff pedal issue.

Thanks!

I only ask because I'm considering replacing my iron Master Cylinder with a later model aluminum unit. ... I'm just concerned about that stiff pedal issue.
I bought two "4 to 2 bolt adapter plates" recently on ebay ($30). You can use any 2-bolt aluminum MC with those. Many here like the late 80's Dodge truck MC. I have been buying the Breeze ABS MC to keep my old Mopars the same, and started with that on my Dart. I paid ~$25 ea for new ones on ebay. Look for an MC with 2-ports on the side you prefer (most ABS ones are 2-port). Also, better to stay pre ~2000 since many manufacturers switched to "bubble flares" then (can form w/ a dbl flarer, see youtube).

I don't follow the "awesome brakes" comment about an MC change. The MC simply produces fluid pressure. You have a choice between "easy pedal" with "more travel" and "hard pedal" with "little travel", depending on what bore size you select. The 7/8" D bore in the Breeze MC gives a little too strong braking with the power boosters in my 65 Dart and 65 Newport with their current drum brakes, though might be perfect with front disks (someday). The pedal travel is barely noticeable, and that is with DOT 5 which some (who never used it) claim is "too spongy".

Checkout 805moparkid's link above. A cheap & available GM dual diaphragm booster than fits on Dart brackets and allows a 2-bolt aluminum MC. Looks great under the hood.

Try the ram man, he specializes in brakes and brake parts. He can hook you up with the correct one and give you some good information for your system.

http://www.theramman.com/

7200 Winters St
Fort Worth, TX 76120
Telephone: 817.691.5996

I've recommended him to others and they've commented back how much information he told them and that he's a real good guy and easy to deal with. I've also bought parts from him and had great experience dealing with him. He knows brakes and will tell you what will work and what to stay away from.

-
Back