Source for large capacity A-body Gas tank?

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a company who either makes or can make a large capacity stock looking gas tank for my 71 Dodge Demon:

What I have:
71 Dodge Demon with the truck center removed. The trunk floor is flat so I do not have to compensate for the spare drop center well. Also have a stock gas tank that holds about 15 gals

What I want:
I am looking for a tank that would basically look like the stock tank from below. The top could be squared off to use the space that was originally needed for the truck spare well. I am looking to be able to get 22 - 25 gals of gas.

How I will mount:
I plan on fabricating up longer custom tank straps to the original mounting style of bracket. i will custom fab the rear bolt locator so they work.

FYI:
NO, I DO NOT WANT A FUEL CELL.
I understand that some will read this and say its not worth the cost. If I built old mopars car based on cost to do versus added value I would have crushed them all years ago.

Any thoughts on companies who can help with this?

That very close to what I had in mind. I just emailed them to see if they can make the mods I am after and what capacity they think it will hold. THANKS!!!!
I think the tanks sold by Jim Kellem Motorsports are made by Hot Rod City.....if you look on the home page for Kellem they are an authorized retailer for Hot Rod City.....

So I've been communicating with hot rod city about their fabbed A-body tank WITH a rear sump and about to drop the $$$ just wondering if anyone is using one yet and how the fitment is?

So I've been communicating with hot rod city about their fabbed A-body tank WITH a rear sump and about to drop the $$$ just wondering if anyone is using one yet and how the fitment is?

Can you post up a website or some contact information for them? I have tried both sites I posted above and no one ever gets back in touch with me. I am looking for a larger than stock capacity tank that still hangs in the stock location. I basically want to remove the spare tire hole and fill that area on the gas tank to hold more fuel. Just can't get these folks to get back in touch with me..

In my experience, it's pretty rare for any company to return emails. If you're serious about something, you'll usually need to call.

In my experience, it's pretty rare for any company to return emails. If you're serious about something, you'll usually need to call.

I have called Hot Rod Garage on multiple times... the other site listed had no phone number to call last time I checked only email. IF someone has a number I would love to get my hands on it so I can order a tank. . . so till I can find a good source I am spending my car funds on other parts. :)

That's crazy...it's a form of communication!

Yes, it is, but it's also an easy way to get thousands of emails a day that may or may not be legitimate, plus tons of tire kickers wasting their time. Emails are easy to put off and forget about, but a phone call demands attention.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying that it happens.

http://www.hotrodcitygarage.com/

I've sent 3 emails and every time they(Jeff Mayes) has responded in no less than a few hours.

[email protected] is their contact email.

make sure you confirm that tail pipes will still fit.

That won't be a problem as I won't be running stock exhaust but a good question for someone who is though.

I basically want to remove the spare tire hole and fill that area on the gas tank to hold more fuel.

They can do that too.... one of their (confirmed)dealers talks about just that on his website..... he has some good pics of the tank mounted in an A body from different angles

http://www.themopardude.com/CUSTOM_GAS_TANKS.html

Can't say about the fitment as I haven't installed it yet. But I do have one of their A-body tanks and can post dimensions and pics if anybody needs them.
Got a sweet deal from a FABO member on a new unused tank (he decided to go fuel cell) and picked it up at Fall Fling in Van Nuys last year.

Can't say about the fitment as I haven't installed it yet. But I do have one of their A-body tanks and can post dimensions and pics if anybody needs them.
Got a sweet deal from a FABO member on a new unused tank (he decided to go fuel cell) and picked it up at Fall Fling in Van Nuys last year.

Can you please post up some dimensions and pics of the tank. That would be greatly appreciated.

What I want:
I am looking for a tank that would basically look like the stock tank from below.

Nothing is more stock looking than stock. If you intall a flat trunk floor and modify the hanger locations, a stock 71 Charger fuel tank should fit. I changed the filler location on my Dart to behind the license plate instead of in the quarter panel. This may not work in the Demon, you may have to relocate the tank's fuel filler opening to the top to match the Demon's filler neck. It's 20 gallons, not 22 - 25, but if you can live with that it's a nice swap.

I first fabbed a couple of rails to accept the stock 71 Charger straps
img0018t.jpg

Tank installed and fits like a glove. Fuel filler will now be behind a hinged license plate.
img0040nq.jpg

Even with the springs moved in there's still plenty of room for tailpipes...
img0049yo.jpg

and I have a nice flat trunk floor.
img0008wo.jpg

When the car is done, no one but a few observant Mopar guys will be able to tell. To everyone else it will look like the car came this way.

Sorry guys, can't figure out how to include pics on replies since the server crash. I'll try to start a new thread titled "Hot Rod City Fabbed Gas Tank" with promised pics and dimensions.

Addendum: Just tried to start new thread, but can't see any way to include pics since the server crash. HELP!

To post post pics go to the following: Reply using Advanced button, then scroll down and use the manage attachments button, choose your files, hit upload, the finish typing your message, and scroll down to hit submit. everything looks to be back to normal this morning.

OK, pics attachment is finally working!

Gas tank dimensions (not including fittings or fill tube):
28.12" wide
16.50" front-to-back
10.62" tall

Spare tire well recess: 22.50" wide x 10.50" deep

Attachments

• FabGasTank032011001_edited (Small).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 474
  • FabGasTank032011002_edited (Small).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 485
  • FabGasTank032011003_edited (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 420
  • FabGasTank032011004_edited (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 445
  • FabGasTank032011005_edited (Small).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 417
  • FabGasTank032011006_edited (Small).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 478
That's the same one I am looking. I am just wondering if they can keep the same basic shape, except remove the recess for the spare tire. This will add more fuel capacity, but yet still allow me to hang in the stock location. My plan is I can remove 1/2 of the spare tire well to accommodate while leaving the rear section of it so it appears to be there at a very quick glance.

That's the same one I am looking. I am just wondering if they can keep the same basic shape, except remove the recess for the spare tire. This will add more fuel capacity, but yet still allow me to hang in the stock location. My plan is I can remove 1/2 of the spare tire well to accommodate while leaving the rear section of it so it appears to be there at a very quick glance.

Yes they can but it will cost you extra that's all, how much is a question for them.

It looks as though the fuel fill tube has to be cut short to fit this tank!?

I have called Hot Rod Garage on multiple times... the other site listed had no phone number to call last time I checked only email. IF someone has a number I would love to get my hands on it so I can order a tank. . . so till I can find a good source I am spending my car funds on other parts. :)

for hot rod it is 909.884.1950

-
Back