Source for Stock? Brakes

-

sean

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Barracuda 383 FS, converted to 4.5" BP 10"x2" rear drums and 4.5" BP slotted front rotors (I did not do the conversion). Now, we all know the stock discs are solid rotors and had the small BP, what I'm dealing with here is; I want to replace my rear wheel cylinders and front wheel bearings along with new rear shoes and front pads. The rotors seem to be in very good condition but I'm not opposed to replacing them too. Caliper part number I think is 3898*962 rear wheel cylinder PN 29477 C below that is G 23. Does anybody recognize any of these parts or numbers. sorry to be long winded on this.

Attachments

• wheel cylinder.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 220
  • slotted rotor.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 192
  • caliper.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 193
  • caliper 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 205
  • rear drum.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 192
Have them pull parts for a 1974 Dodge Dart with disc brakes and see if they don't match up.

The brake self adjuster on the rear still looks like the 68 set up from what little I can see of it. How about a better picture of that area?

Any parts store should be able to get that stuff. I usually use napa. The calipers just look like standard 73-up stuff.

I thought it might be later model parts but to be honest I wasn't sure and figured someone would recognize what was done. Thanks!

For the rears, along with shoes and cylinders, buy a "hardware kit". About $10 for both sides. Comes w/ all springs, adjusters, etc. Insure for 2"W shoes, so the shoe pins are the correct length. Check PN's on-line at Autozone and RockAuto. It will have the later-style self-adjusters, but those are preferred (used on my 65 Dart). I suspect those kits are the same for any 10" drum brakes w/ standard Bendix design, so should be available decades from now.

Thanks for the info! I got the vehicle started last weekend with guidance and a LOT of help from a friend, I was going to just bleed brakes decided to do a through job of it (piece of mind). self-adjust pics below

Attachments

• adjuster 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 170
  • adjuster 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 163
  • adjuster 3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 182
don't throw this little piece away. i've found that a lot of the new ones ya buy just aren't bent 100% correct. have had to use the original ones on more then one occasion to get the brakes to adjust the correct way.

Attachments

• adjuster 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 176
OK, but looks like you re-used the old brake hardware. "Might work", but I understood a shop "brake job" included new hardware, as recommended by the manufacturers. In my 69 Dart, the self-adjuster cable broke and parts got between the shoe and drum, ruining the drum. That was before I learned to do things myself, so who knows what a shop did.

don't throw this little piece away. i've found that a lot of the new ones ya buy just aren't bent 100% correct....
I was looking at that too. Where the return spring attaches at the top of the lever is different than in my cars (and factory manual?). In the photo, it appears the top is bent outward, whereas I think it should be in a vertical plane. With it bent like that, I'm not sure the bottom will contact the toothed wheel, thus maybe no self-adjustment will occur. Better to not bend it back or it might later break (my above scenario). I think the later "improved" adjuster is a better design.

Thanks for the info! I got the vehicle started last weekend with guidance and a LOT of help from a friend, I was going to just bleed brakes decided to do a through job of it (piece of mind). self-adjust pics below

As I suspected that is indeed the old style set up. You can use the later style adjusters that are readily available about everywhere if you order all the springs and adjusters.

What is your brake shoe width?

I was looking at that too. Where the return spring attaches at the top of the lever is different than in my cars (and factory manual?). In the photo, it appears the top is bent outward, whereas I think it should be in a vertical plane. With it bent like that, I'm not sure the bottom will contact the toothed wheel, thus maybe no self-adjustment will occur. Better to not bend it back or it might later break (my above scenario). I think the later "improved" adjuster is a better design.

on a few of my mopars that i have done over the years and as recent as last year on my mustang that thing was bent wrong. wouldn't hit the adjuster teeth. i just used the old ones and they lined up perfectly. somewhere along the way the die got real sloppy or they are stamping the part extremely wrong..

Shoes measure 1 3/4". I took some more images and notice that the wheel studs are rubbing on bracket that pivots on a horizontal plane. I don't know much but it doesn't look like it should be doing that! Also took some of the self-adjust star wheel and the afore mentioned bracket.

Attachments

• wheel stud.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 164
  • adjuster 4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 169
  • shoe.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 169
  • grinding.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Grinding?.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 157
Shoes measure 1 3/4". I took some more images and notice that the wheel studs are rubbing on bracket that pivots on a horizontal plane. I don't know much but it doesn't look like it should be doing that! Also took some of the self-adjust star wheel and the afore mentioned bracket.

The drum brakes are original for your car. If you look at the axle you can see where the old studs have been ground/machined off, new holes drilled and new studs have been installed.

I can see where the bolt head studs have an issue there.

-
Back