Southern California Road Trips

-
Well, I got in some seat time....not as much as I wanted to though....nothing photogenic - just around town...

It does get a mean second gear scratch under WOT though!
Next weekend I'll take it further and hopefully somewhere a little more scenic. ....

Jeff

Pretty brave to get in a Classic today, unless you have AC that is.
Pretty fricken hot in SoCal today.

Only 105? Cmon now that's not that bad. Wasn't it 122 in Palm Springs back in June?

I've been out at least a dozen times in temps like that this year. Sacramento has posted 24 days over 100* already this year. Sucks. But I still drive.

Only 105? Cmon now that's not that bad. Wasn't it 122 in Palm Springs back in June?

I've been out at least a dozen times in temps like that this year. Sacramento has posted 24 days over 100* already this year. Sucks. But I still drive.

Lol.....too hot for this kid!

Jeff

Lol.....too hot for this kid!

Jeff

My car can handle the heat, it's the driver that can't.

Hey I didn't say I liked it. :D

Yeah the car does pretty darn well. I'm not a big fan of it either, when the cowl vent starts feeling like a blow dryer it's not too fun.

But it's not like I've got an AC car to drive. The '74 is the newest one I own. My GT will have AC when it hits the road eventually.

If you ever find your way down in Southern San Diego stop by the house for a pit stop. Would love to see that beautiful car!

I daily drove my car for a few years here and try to drive it as much as possible now. There are some very nice short drives if you seek them out down here. Also, nothing is better than when the sun starts going down in California. That heat dissipates and that cool air is simply perfect to cruise around in. And those orange skies look great in the paint!

For a quick local drive I go down Highland Avenue right by my house. It was a notorious cruising and lowrider avenue for decades until an ordinance was placed on it because of the 1990's gang and crime stuff. Now it is just a nice light-to-light drive where you can see a lowrider or two. Lots of thumbs ups and smiles. I return on the Mile of Cars which has dealerships on both sides, palm trees in the median and checkered flag crosswalks. Fun to imagine what the lots looked like in the 60's as people drove around looking for new cars.

Out east by the Olympic training center are some great winding roads that are at the foot of the mountains with lake views. Sweetwater road through Bonita is recently paved and borders parks with horse trails and golf courses.

The "Silver Strand" is 55mph, no lights and bordered on each side by the Bay and the Beach. I go that way to have lunch with the wife in Coronado.

If you ever find your way down in Southern San Diego stop by the house for a pit stop. Would love to see that beautiful car!

I daily drove my car for a few years here and try to drive it as much as possible now. There are some very nice short drives if you seek them out down here. Also, nothing is better than when the sun starts going down in California. That heat dissipates and that cool air is simply perfect to cruise around in. And those orange skies look great in the paint!

For a quick local drive I go down Highland Avenue right by my house. It was a notorious cruising and lowrider avenue for decades until an ordinance was placed on it because of the 1990's gang and crime stuff. Now it is just a nice light-to-light drive where you can see a lowrider or two. Lots of thumbs ups and smiles. I return on the Mile of Cars which has dealerships on both sides, palm trees in the median and checkered flag crosswalks. Fun to imagine what the lots looked like in the 60's as people drove around looking for new cars.

Out east by the Olympic training center are some great winding roads that are at the foot of the mountains with lake views. Sweetwater road through Bonita is recently paved and borders parks with horse trails and golf courses.

The "Silver Strand" is 55mph, no lights and bordered on each side by the Bay and the Beach. I go that way to have lunch with the wife in Coronado.

Heck yes.....if I get down that way I'll let you know!
I love San Diego!

Jeff

I do a short drive in the Barracuda to make my son nap almost every day. Works like a charm and gives me a good excuse to drive it. Here's today

-
Back