Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
Am I crazy? Am I the only one? Does everyone here over the age of 65 want to beat me to death with their cane?
I would not say you are crazy. That would be rude. I totally agree with a lot you said, but I think you could have said it SO much nicer. I am over 65, and I DO drive my car, I do NOT wear a diaper, I am NOT on a one day pass from a retirement home, I am NOT bitter, I AM capable and interested in driving and maintaining and building cool stuff and I do enjoy playing my favorite music from the 60s and 70s at a cruise/show. I understand your points; I really do. I doubt that anyone on this forum falls into the category you have presented. Whether we like it or not, most of the people who love our old cars are going to be in their late 60s and 70s. The fact that they had the gumption and desire to TAKE their car to a show is a positive sign to me. My concern is that when the generation we are both talking about is gone, what will happen to the cars? I doubt that many Gen Z types will want them. I am 72, and I still enjoy total car restoration. I can cut, hack, fabricate, weld and do mechanical and body/paint. I am not as fast or as strong as I used to be, but I still do it and enjoy it. I think you could have made your point without insinuating that all older people who are in the car hobby are useless and at death's door. When I see a young person at a car show with an older car, I ALWAYS make it a point to talk with them. I also make it a point to point out the good things about their car and enthusiastically agree with their plans for future upgrades.
In closing, if we ever meet, I will shake your hand and greet you warmly. I promise not to beat you with my cane. I'll even buy you lunch.
BTW, I see you are from Pennsylvania. Do you like Primanti Brothers. I had heard about them for years and finally had a chance to eat at one a while back. Wow! If there was one around here, I'd eat there all the time.

I have no interest in shows, car clubs, events or otherwise.

I own this car because I love it and want to own and drive it.

The shows, etc. are external reasons for being an owner and are not focused on the car, but rather on the social aspects of having it and showing it off. The car becomes secondary.

I enjoy my car and don’t care what anyone else thinks about it. That’s internal focus and the only thing I care about.

The car makes me happy and I am happy to have it.

Good enough.

View attachment 1716128703
I agree with what you say. I LOVE your car. Is there anything better than an F8 green A Body. My 69 Cuda FB is the same color with a white 340 Callout stripe. How do you keep the letters on your T/As so clean? Mine are only a few years old, but no matter what I use, I don't think the letters will ever be white again.

I only take my stuff to local free events, “pay” events that fund a good local cause, or a special event where they are used as eye candy to attract attendees (local ball club fund raisers, etc).

I did not and will not rebuild mine for someone else - and I’m good with that. I’m not a fan of trailer queens (TQ’s) that are only driven from the trailer to a show space. Wallet rebuilds and TQ’s should be in a class of their own.

I’ll look at the other vehicles, and discuss things with family or friends I see after we walk away… UNLESS the car is for sale. I have no problem critiquing cars for sale as I would expect you to nit-pik mine if I were selling it. At that point, it’s a business transaction.

Went to a show a couple of years ago. HS kid had a ‘74 Barracuda he did in school shop and at his grandpa’s barn. Rebuilt junkyard police 360 with summit cam replaced the 318, paint and body done by the kid (and it showed), and he installed the dash cap and legendary interior. Car was a 30 footer - and he was proud. My family looked it all over, he told us what all he had done and what he wished he had done better. We voted for his car as the “Best of Show - Crowd Favorite.”

A different show the same year. All the TQ’s and wallet cars in the best locations at the front. A 58 Dodge with a Ford Coyote engine, entire car inside a plexiglass box was awarded “Best in Show.” A TQ 1946 GMC that was a total wallet build was awarded “Best Original Truck.” But it had 12v electronics and a 235 six. If you just wanted a GM, there was a ‘51 Chevy barn find truck that the new owner polished the old paint and drove it 100 miles to the show. I was impressed, and I am not into GM’s.

Put the wallet cars and the TQ’s in a separate class.
I should just scroll past... But for all your bitching about trailer queens you have a vehicle that you might drive 100 miles to a show.... My friends & I have cars that many "assume" at trailer queens... We spend the time to keep them looking better than new... But we also drive them... A lot... The car that my screen name is derived from has been driven over 100K miles since I restored it... Maybe Trailer Queens Aren't what you think....

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

I should just scroll past... But for all your bitching about trailer queens you have a vehicle that you might drive 100 miles to a show.... My friends & I have cars that many "assume" at trailer queens... We spend the time to keep them looking better than new... But we also drive them... A lot... The car that my screen name is derived from has been driven over 100K miles since I restored it... Maybe Trailer Queens Aren't what you think....

View attachment 1716136095

View attachment 1716136096
Exactly. I've put 3500 miles on my "trailer queen" Bee and just rolled my 1 of 53 '66 HP2 past 10,000 miles. I live on a gravel road to boot!
20220703_203416.jpg

I go to swap meets. Apparently there are car shows attached to some of 'em? Curious. I have not verified this rumor. I'm too busy buying parts.

After having my throttle return springs disconnected at a show I only go to one show a year because my Dad enjoys it. Hood stays closed and pinned

After having my throttle return springs disconnected at a show I only go to one show a year because my Dad enjoys it. Hood stays closed and pinned
Wow, that's BS. I can't believe some of the stories here with other people touching, messing with, sitting in, etc other people's cars.

Some shows are a joke and like mentioned, merely popularity contests.

I entered my TRX in the modern truck class in a show recently and my display was my TRX on drag radials pulling my trailer with the Super Stock on it. Both in full race trim including dial-ins on the windows. Keep in mind, this is a 10 second daily driven truck pulling a 9 second street car. It was clearly a crowd favorite against the other modern trucks displayed, however the promoter running the show stuck his friend's fully restored motorhome from the 70's in our class and gave him the win. lol.... losing to a motorhome was a tough pill to swallow. :lol:

These pics were taken while we were setting up for the show....

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

Last edited:
Geez. I have restored a ‘53 Dodge B4B I have owned for 48 yrs. It’s a family member. I do not like driving it in cities - the risk is real.

I am in the final stages of working the gremlins out of our ‘67 Barracuda convertible. It will seldom venture into a city.

Just started on my late FIL’s ‘54 Chevy wagon. Another family member that will not venture into a city.

If I live long enough, I have a ‘70 Barracuda convertible and a ‘74 Barracuda. Odds are, they will see city driving.

We take our “restored” cars to local parades, car shows, cars & coffee, family events, etc. We walk around, admire others vehicles, discuss them among ourselves and keep negative opinions to ourselves.

I couldn’t care less about trophies. For me, my vehicles are “time machines.” The majority that look at my truck have never seen a flathead engine, a “stomp” starter, 3 on the tree, or so damn few options. How many of you, and your kids, know how to drive a 3 on the tree? I spend a lot of time discussing and educating. I am sure it will be that way with my other vehicles as they are finished.

Drove my truck to Luckenbach and stayed an extra hour so the tourists could take photos with my truck outside the General Store. It made their day.

I do as much of my own work as I can. I can appreciate the beauty of a Trailer Queen, but I don’t want one. Oh, I do like my folding chair.

And finally, the 50’s and surfer music can go away.
Ya bruh, don’t you be a hating on them there Bech boys, that’s authentic American rock and roll man

Wow, that's BS. I can't believe some of the stories here with other people touching, messing with, sitting in, etc other people's cars.
Never saw who did it but needless to say it could have been a disaster. I started the car and gave it some gas, that's when the pedal didn't return and the idle went high. Popped the hood and there were both springs laying on my intake. Funny joke I guess to somebody but I found it less than hilarious

Can we just beat them with an umbrella and call it done...? its trespassing isn't it...? )
Oh, they would argue in our Liberal court systems that it wasn't locked and parts were open for display in a public setting. Likely our fault for not posting it "do not touch, get in, eat on, drool, etc on this vehicle" or something like that. Like all the damn warning labels nowadays. They have more rights than the owners. A company i used to work for had to remove the razor wire on top of the perimeter fence because a thief could sue them if they got hurt while breaking in/trespassing. AYFKM????

View attachment 1716136095

View attachment 1716136096
When I talk about TQ’s, I am speaking if cars I saw roll out of the enclosed trailer. BTW, i enjoy the cars like yours that are driven.

I drive it within 100 miles because it allows me to stay off roads where I would have to drive 75+ mph. I don’t like heavy traffic because if I get hammered, parts are hard to come by. Besides, living in a rural area, I still drive my truck a lot, but I also know it was not designed for, nor will it sustain modern speeds and traffic for extended periods.

Now, whenever I get to my e-bodies, the limiting factor will be my age and reaction time.

Last edited:
Your car is not a Trailer Queen. If it was, it would only move onto or off of a trailer.

When I talk about TQ’s, I am speaking if cars I saw roll out of the enclosed trailer. BTW, i enjoy the cars like yours that are driven.

I drive it within 100 miles because it allows me to stay off roads where I would have to drive 75+ mph. I don’t like heavy traffic because if I get hammered, parts are hard to come by. Besides, living in a rural area, I still drive my truck a lot, but I also know it was not designed for, nor will it sustain modern speeds and traffic for extended periods.

Now, whenever I get to my e-bodies, the limiting factor will be my age and reaction time.
Mine has 3.91s so yeah highway is rough sustaining todays speeds,it can do it but its revving and drinking gas...

Mine has 3.91s so yeah highway is rough sustaining todays speeds,it can do it but its revving and drinking gas...
Back in the 80's I drove a 440-6 Challenger R/T from here in Central Ca to San Diego & back again about a 900 mile round trip.... Car had a 4:10 Dana under it... Speed Limit at the time was 55.... As Sammy Said... I Can't Drive 55..... But more than 65 wasn't any fun either.....

Now I have 4:30's in this car... But it's got a 518 O/D so it acts like a 2:94..
IMG_1411.JPG

Once at a criuse i saw my wife standing next to the car yelling. We had been walking around and on the way back i stopped few cars down to talk someone we knew. He says she's yelling. So i go see what's up. When i walk up i see there is a guy in my car eatting a Roast Beef Poor Boy dripping juice in the car. I told him to get out the car. And he says wait your turn i am looking at this one. Then says i allready told her wait her turn.....it went down hill fast.
IF his legs were out the car, a "sudden gust of wind" might have slammed the door against his legs...

It will get better if you walk from the business and make cars a hobby...when I did it I realized I didnt enjoy working on minivans and pickup trucks all the time, I just wanted to work on my V8 classic cars...
I work on way bigger $hit than that. Today I was stuffed inside a fuel tank doing an inspection, and taking thickness measurements with a caliper on fuel transfer tube fittings. We call it tank diving, or tank spelunking. I call it sux ***... Theres a venturi constantly sucking fumes out of the fuel tank cap top of the wing. No PPE is needed. Still go home stinking of jet fuel.

20230901_095130.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back