Space saver spare tire in an A body?!?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I'm switching over to LBP, I need to get a new spare tire. I was never happy with the way my old spare sat in the trunk. It was too wide for the shallow well, and the cardboard would never sit flush with the rest of the trunk floor. I am going to try and find a smaller spare wheel and tire from a late model vehicle that will fit better.

Does anyone know what vehicles have the same 5x4.5 pattern but have a smaller temporary style spare tire? No, I'm not a purist, so I don't care what it originally came out of. I just want it to sit flat in the trunk and fit under the cover.

Thanks!

what about a stock 14"X5" rim with a 185/75R14 tire? that should fit in the well

That would probably work, but I would have to find a wheel and buy it, find a tire that size and buy it, have it mounted/balanced. Spare tires are a dime a dozen on Craigslist and I could have one in the trunk in a day. Just need to know which one to look for. I need one that doesn't have a lot of back space or it won't clear my rear calipers.

I know there are some guys on here that are running spares that came from other vehicles. I just need them to chime in.

I have a stock wheel and a stock E70-14 in the trunk of my car and it sticks up. Sticking up is normal.

It may be normal, but it's not acceptable. I'm going to finish my trunk out with carpet, and I want a board that will lay flat. I would also like to build a carpeted partition that blocks off the back of my seat, hiding my amp and sub.

I do wish I could help. I have a space saver that fits very well. Its acually smaller diameter than what on the road. I found it on a vaccant lot so I dont know what it belonged to.

What about the compact spare out of an older Caravan? There must be 1000's of those in the junk yards and the early years were smaller diameter then the later ones.

Ive seen the small temporary spare in the Aspens and Volares. I had a 4 door that had one

I have the mounted spare tire that came out of the bottom of my trunk on my '68 cuda. Holds air, good shape, it is the small bolt pattern, tire is P185/75-14.

Ron

Thanks Ron, but I've got 5 small bolt pattern wheels that I can't give away either!

Thanks to Mullinax and Cudaguy, that's the info I was looking for!!

Thanks to Mullinax and Cudaguy, that's the info I was looking for!!

No problem. While my car is here at the house I pretend that I have a flat tire and made sure I have everything to get me back on the way. Especially true if the car has aftermarket wheels.

Exactly. I don't want to pay for a tow just because I have a flat tire.

I have an original never used space saver spare from a 1977 Aspen. It is collecting dust in my garage. I could take some measurements if you like.

-
Back