Spare Tire

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I currently do not have a spare tire for my car and Im looking to pick one up but I also have a different dilemma with my rims. Im running two different width rims. So what size spare should I use, the larger or smaller width rim?

I would be more concerned that it be the same diameter/height. The car won't know temporarily if you have a narrower rim on one side.

The diameter is important if you have a flat on the rear, so you aren't running unequal size tires that in the long run could damage the gears.

I would just go with a stock steel wheel for the spare with the same size tire as the others. Unless of course you are running a slightly smaller tire on the front. If that's the case I would match it to the rear tire for the reasons above.

Bruce, Im just running 15" stock steel rims with dog dishes. So I was thinking if I could find another stock 15" steel rim I would be set... I just wasnt sure if width would matter for the time it was on the car.

Bruce, Im just running 15" stock steel rims with dog dishes. So I was thinking if I could find another stock 15" steel rim I would be set... I just wasnt sure if width would matter for the time it was on the car.

No, the width shouldn't hurt anything, like I said the height is more important, especially for the rear.

Keep in mind a-body cars came with little 13" and 14" tires...they have shallow spare tire space.....drop in a bigger, taller, wider tire and it won't fit right in the well. I would run a narrow 14" tire that's the same height as one on the rear of your car, especially if you have a sure-grip, run different heights and you will burn that up.

I'd check to see which would fit in the well . ?

Keep in mind a-body cars came with little 13" and 14" tires...they have shallow spare tire space.....drop in a bigger, taller, wider tire and it won't fit right in the well. I would run a narrow 14" tire that's the same height as one on the rear of your car, especially if you have a sure-grip, run different heights and you will burn that up.

I didnt think about what would fit in the spare tire well. Glad you guys mentioned that..

-
Back