Spark plug dilema

-

BWDart

Reaction score
How do you get to the 5 and 7 plugs with long tube hedman headers on a small block 360?
What socket works? I thought of cutting one down to fit.
Thanks Bruce

These pics show how close the tube is to the end of the plugs. There isn't any room for a socket.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 151
  • plug 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 147
  • plug 2 (640x480).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 151
Here is a pic of the socket I use for that problem. I have the same headers on my car and I bought this socket just for that. I put socket on from under header tube and use a extension between valve cover and header tube.

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 142
Valve cover off................

Use MP rubber gaskets. They seal over and over and over and over...... again.

some plug sockets have a hex pattern on top that an open end wench can fit on, mine is for a 3/4 wench which is pretty long so I cut an old one and got a stuby 3/4

You can't get the plug as tight, so I crush the plug washers on another cyl, like 1 or 3 and remove the plug and then re-install in the 5 or 7 hole

Thanks for all the tips I'll get on it first thing in the morning. I have the socket with the hex head on top I'll try it.

Anyone have this problem?

Everybody has that problem unless your lucky enough to have TTI's or Doug's headers. When you get them out switch to RC12YC plugs. They are the same plug except with a 5/8" hex. The smaller plug socket fits in there a lot easier. I use them along with a wobble extension and it's a lot easier.

Always thought the best solution is to heat up the header pipes in each offending area with a torch while they're still off the motor and "dink" them using a BFH against a 6" extension so you can get the socket and wrench in there later.

Always thought the best solution is to heat up the header pipes in each offending area with a torch while they're still off the motor and "dink" them using a BFH against a 6" extension so you can get the socket and wrench in there later.

Been there, done that. I've also been know to bend/ cut/ weld wrenches to suit.

I used to slide the socket on the plug, then drop an extension down to it . Break the plug loose then pull it the rest of the way out by hand.

And trash that champion plug garbage. Ngk or autolite man.. :)

-
Back