Speed-o-Motive

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Anyone here used Speed- O- Motive in Covina for a stroker build? I just spun a bearing and need a rebuild. I am looking for a builder that knows what they are doing and honest about it.
By the way I had this stroker built by Superior in Anaheim and not real excited to take it back to them considering I only got 3000 miles out of the build.

theres an article in the june 08 issue of mopar muscle about their amsoil engine build contest, and there is a motor in their built by speed-o-motive....seems well built and placed 5th in the competition....they seem to have a good reputation, but i have never personally dealt with them before.

They are NOT very highly regarded on a couple forums I frequent. I have no first hand experience w/ them tho....

Anyone here used Speed- O- Motive in Covina for a stroker build? I just spun a bearing and need a rebuild. I am looking for a builder that knows what they are doing and honest about it.
By the way I had this stroker built by Superior in Anaheim and not real excited to take it back to them considering I only got 3000 miles out of the build.
Suggest you check out www.cederstrandracingengines.com in Brea

I had them build my 408 short block.

'had to return in to them 3 times for incompetent work and and repairs. I almost had to sue them, they eventually replaced my block and all the damage they did to it.

Working with SpeedOMotive was the worst decision I’ve made to date.

I had them build my 360 to a 408, I purchased 95% of the engine parts from them which resulted in over 5k in the engine.

The assembled shortblock they returned to me was MISSING VITAL oil gallery plugs which resulted in excessive wear to the cylinder walls thus destroying my 360 block.

But that’s not the only mistake made by Speed-o-motive. Far from it. They also machined my deck too far to where the pistons popped up above the deck enough to be unsafe for use with the head gaskets and heads I bought from SpeedOMoitve. Luckily I found the problem and with Edelbrock’s (my heads) advise I returned the shortblock where they machined all the pistons and rebalanced the rotating assembly.

They also installed the wrong main studs which made the oil pump / windage try impossible to install. So, again, I had to engine had to go back to get the studs machined and replaced under warranty (something I could have done but did not want to void the warranty).

Then we found that the flywheel I bought from them which was supposed to have been NEW; was BALANCED (drilled by other then Mcleod). 360’s are externally balanced but my 408 parts were internally balanced. Installing that flywheel would have caused some serious problems if I had not found it.

All of these problems were found BY ME with research. So you know how much confidence I had in Speedomotive for me to have to CHECK OVER ALL THEIR WORK.

All these problems eventually led to them replacing the block (as stated earlier). They forgot two VITAL oil gallery plugs which wore the cylinder walls down. One is not visible from the outside and the other is visible from just the right angle if you have the manifold off. Unfortunately I did not have the knowledge to check for these plugs until it was too late.

The owner of SpeedOMotive fought me tooth and nail about it too. Even the guy who works for him and checked out the shortblock was on my side (somewhat, as much as he can be). Even knowing it was a workmanship problem and that the engine was STILL UNDER WARRENTY. He hung up on me over the phone and tried to make me leave when I drove 2 hours to discuss the engine (after check out). He finally agreed to replace the block after nearly breaking into tears, seriously his lower lip was trembling and he had to leave the conversation!

So, he replaced the block and I built the whole engine. He refused to return my old block and replace worn parts including $150 dollar piston rings, crank/cam bearings, freeze plugs, other small engine parts.

Since then I built the engine, ran her at Mopar’s at the Strip '08 (had a blast by the way) and even ran her on the dyno. She runs great and the power increased about 10% (no surprise since the speedomotive build was self destructing).

I used forums to help with all the problems with the Speedomotive build. I posted ALL the concerns in detail in various threads through the years at another forum, if interested in reading these, PM me.

BTW: I’m not the only one to have problems with SOM, since moving two Summers ago, I’ve met/heard of two others with SOM engines and they BOTH are unhappy with them including a stroker big-block Charger guy who had a rear-main seal problem. His buddy is the other guy he told me about, he has some problem to but I forgot. It was a Chevy engine.

Here are some pictures I’ve taken through all the problems and the pistons/rods from my 408 engine they returned to me after replacing my block in a very dirty box all just thrown in there (dings are on two of my pistons now). Hmmm I can’t find that picture now but when I do…

My dad calls them ‘Crap-o-motive’.

Another BTW: instead of painting my engine HEMI Orange like I requested it. The painted in Chevrolet Red…

2466873332_eb699f4f41.jpg

2466873466_568bb22bfb.jpg

geese i retract my previous statement...i was going by the fact that they appearred in mopar muscle magazine, even though i never dealt with them...i figured if they were in a magazine article, they had to be half decent, but i guess not

Interesting enough, in PHR's Engine Challenge issue where they built the Magnum 408 stroker, they sent the short block to Speed-O-Motive as well. When they got the short block back, they said some of the clearancing was a little too tight and sent it back to Speed-O-Motive where the shop confirmed that it was too tight. Sounds like they have a lot on their plate and details are being overlooked.

Interesting enough, in PHR's Engine Challenge issue where they built the Magnum 408 stroker, they sent the short block to Speed-O-Motive as well. When they got the short block back, they said some of the clearancing was a little too tight and sent it back to Speed-O-Motive where the shop confirmed that it was too tight. Sounds like they have a lot on their plate and details are being overlooked.

It's typical out here fin Southern California for high volume places to take your money and cut corners along the way. Everyone is so busy trying to pay the enormous cost of living that details get lost. Frustrating.

If a mod is reading this, can you change my last line in the previous post? grammatical errors...

Better version:

Another BTW: instead of painting my engine HEMI Orange like I requested it; they painted it Chevrolet Red…

I bought from Speed-O-Motive back in the 1980's and it was good stuff.But since then they have been sold and the new owners haven't kept up the quality

Wow. Things like this are why I don't trust anyone's work. Back in 1992, I picked up a Pontiac 455 for super cheap. The guy had a shop do the machine work and assembly. He dumped it into the car and fired it up only to notice that the rockers were still dry despite running for a few minutes. He checked a few things and gave up. I bought the whole car and sold it (minus the engine) to a fellow serviceman for enough to buy necessary parts. It turned out that the shop left out both oil galley plugs in the front, along with most of the other plugs. While the timing chain was getting vast amounts of oil, the #3 main journal got almost none. The crank was toast, but everything else checked-out as good. I threw a new crank, set of bearings, rings and gaskets at it and it ran really well for several years until i sold the car.

For the amount of money involved in engine work, one should be able to trust it. Unfortunately various pressures within the shop sometimes cause things to fall into the cracks. No matter who does the work, look it over for your own peace of mind. To err is human and another pair of eyes is always a good thing.

I have several other "don't blindly trust the other guy" stories, but enough electrons have been horribly inconvenienced by this anecdote.

Hello fwaugh;

Only two places I would recomend is JMS in Monrovia or Superior automotive in Anahiem. Either are very good shops have had work done by both and top notch both times. Both were small blocks one is in my street Dart the other in a race Duster that I'm working on. The work was checked by a friend that has a lot of experience in building engines...

Hello fwaugh;

Only two places I would recomend is JMS in Monrovia or Superior automotive in Anahiem. Either are very good shops have had work done by both and top notch both times. Both were small blocks one is in my street Dart the other in a race Duster that I'm working on. The work was checked by a friend that has a lot of experience in building engines...

Funny you mention Superior...they are actually the ones that originally built it. I only got 3000 miles out of build and was dissapointed with service. I do think they are nice people and I feel they know what they are doing but somehow have gotten lost in the hustle of Southern Cal. Long story short I ended bringing it back to them and they found that the distrubutor gear broke and caused the oil pump to stop which in turn fried some bearings. They used the same gear that was in it before build. Doesnt make sense that when you spend that kind of money a simple part like that wouldnt have been replaced. They are working on it and hopefully wont stick it to me too bad. I have had many issues with this build after spending close to 10k just on the motor. Wish me luck.

Just got my rebuilt hemi out of S-O-M. Took a long time. About 30-40 hp less than what they promised and cost me an extra $2,500 to replace the valve train, which they lost--only they found it when I picked the motor up. Still out the $2,500, they claimed they never had it and wouldn't even give me a break on the replacement cost, although I did upgrade to Stage V.

When I complained about the power they recommended another cam and some head work, another $1,800, I said no thanks. Find a good shop that will work with you. S-O-M isn't it. '68 hemi going into a '68 dart.

Just got my rebuilt hemi out of S-O-M. Took a long time. About 30-40 hp less than what they promised and cost me an extra $2,500 to replace the valve train, which they lost--only they found it when I picked the motor up. Still out the $2,500, they claimed they never had it and wouldn't even give me a break on the replacement cost, although I did upgrade to Stage V.

When I complained about the power they recommended another cam and some head work, another $1,800, I said no thanks. Find a good shop that will work with you. S-O-M isn't it. '68 hemi going into a '68 dart.

I HIGHLY recommend you teardown the engine and check everything.

Why? See my story above.

geese i retract my previous statement...i was going by the fact that they appearred in mopar muscle magazine, even though i never dealt with them...i figured if they were in a magazine article, they had to be half decent, but i guess not

That is the problem with a company, (any company could be inserted here, but S-O-M has a bad rep tht I see over and over again), that they will build up a great dyno engine for a shootout and then build crap for the customer. The customer gets the bone while the company steals your hard earned bones ($$$) and no one ever finds out unless they read it on the net.

Some people will get the full engine from a shop like S-O-M and not do the right thing, but I think you'll find stupid people and hack wrenching is very very very very limited here.

I've followed several threads on S-O-M and have not found many happy endings.

You need to talk to Jansen at Mayo Performance in Chino. He'll help you out in the engine compartment. He builds Hemis, MAX Wedges, 383, 360, 340 and 318. And he'll break them in for you, which is real nice. So all you have to do is install and go. No oil leaks to fix in a clean engine compartment and burned up headers.
Tell'm John from Inlandmopars sent you.

http://mayo-performance.com/index.html

I was going through some of my papers and found that it took 3 months (July to Oct) for them to machine and assemble my short block. I don't remember the estimate but it was at least half (and many, many calls with 'it'll be done next week').

Vellios Machine in Lawndale. They have been around since the 50's.

-
Back