Speedmaster intake porting. Hopefully I can make something out of this

-
Those chinese intakes are SMALL in X section...I removed one on a 430HP engine, put on an OOTB air gap and picked up 30HP and 20TQ. NO ****!

So maybe a better choice for a stock stroke motor with some unworked heads?

I’m not sure he is on here, but he my be. And just in case he ever stops by here, I want him to know what I think of him, since I haven’t told him since 2003 when I said it to his face.

Yeah, one never forgets a tool thief. Stealing a man's way of making a living is high crime.
Should get similar treatment to the horse thieves in the old west. Hanging offense.

If a had one sitting hear I would gladly do it but at this stage I think it would be wasted time. Who in their right mind would pay or port a set of small block heads to the 280cfm area and throw an out of the box (especially dual plane) intake on it.

99.5% of the people. They look at the intakes ported price tag and gag, balk at the idea of it and just run what ever intake is the “best.”

Ok guys I guess I’m happy with this intake tested on Ethans Speedmaster heads. It petered out a little at mid lift and I’m pretty sure I know what it needs but because it will be going on a set of Edelbrock heads that flow 318cfm I’m not touching it till I flow it on those heads. This is going on a stock 360 (cut down to Chevy size) crank engine that will run 9’s in my car. I will probably be opening up the intake face on this intake for those heads. If you remember my 200cfm by .300 lift is beat even with the intake bolted on. It sure does make the speedmaster intake look pathetic. View attachment 1715678246

Sorry for the multiple questions , is there a lot of potential available in porting the victor 340 inlet? A friend is running a stock one on a 408 stroker running ported cast heads and im curious if you think porting it will be worth the effort.

Sorry for the multiple questions , is there a lot of potential available in porting the victor 340 inlet? A friend is running a stock one on a 408 stroker running ported cast heads and im curious if you think porting it will be worth the effort.

Did you check out the numbers on my ported Victor340 in this post earlier. It responds very nicely to some needed porting work.

Did you check out the numbers on my ported Victor340 in this post earlier. It responds very nicely to some needed porting work.
I saw the numbers on the ported victor 340 on the ported speedmaster heads, was just wondering if you flowed the stock victor 340 stock on the same heads. I might have missed that amongst the other posts.

I saw the numbers on the ported victor 340 on the ported speedmaster heads, was just wondering if you flowed the stock victor 340 stock on the same heads. I might have missed that amongst the other posts.

No this intake was here for 3-4 years and I started porting it before so I couldn’t give a stock baseline. But I have before and they do need at least gasket matched and up into the runner to blend it in. I never just do that to them though as I like to push the limits.

No this intake was here for 3-4 years and I started porting it before so I couldn’t give a stock baseline. But I have before and they do need at least gasket matched and up into the runner to blend it in. I never just do that to them though as I like to push the limits.

Thanks for that, the engine seems to run very well with the stock victor 340 inlet, hoping that some porting will give it a bit extra again.

I think the main reason people balk at paying to port an intake is the idea - right or wrong - that the intake already has ports which are big enough. Then there is also the idea that if you make the ports too big, you lose velocity and end up hurting yourself. That might be another perception that can be blamed on magazines. Finally, I think a lot of people look at dyno tests in magazines where the engine makes 750HP with an unported intake, then they swap to a ported intake and the improvements are negligible. Most guys take a look at that and decide to spend their money on a new carb or a year's supply of mint-flavored condoms.

As for shop rate....I noticed about 10 years ago the birth of the $100/hr shop rate. I'm still mystified over that. I mean, I walk into a lawnmower repair shop in a 1000sq-ft shack with a 2.5HP compressor and there's a sign on the wall that states the shop rate is $100/hr.

10 years ago, the company I work for was costing jobs at $120/hr. This is out of a multi-million dollar facility with millions more in tooling and over 75 degreed engineers, 200 other degreed and union employees, full health benefits, and lots of government red tape to deal with....all producing a product that requires years of technical knowledge and expertise.

This might be common knowledge but I want to ask the question to confirm it. Is one of the goals when porting heads and intake, to create a port tract through the intake runner, into the head, and on to the chamber that is reducing slightly in cross section as it goes? Tight or loose spots along the way are to be avoided as much as possible of course. From what I remember of fluid dynamics in college, that would seem to be better than it opening up as it gets to the valve area. This may be an oversimplification, but it's how I think about it at the moment.

What are the chances you can get your hands on one of the new TF small block intakes to see how it compares out of the box? I think that would be a lot more compelling than looking at an Air Gap.

This might be common knowledge but I want to ask the question to confirm it. Is one of the goals when porting heads and intake, to create a port tract through the intake runner, into the head, and on to the chamber that is reducing slightly in cross section as it goes? Tight or loose spots along the way are to be avoided as much as possible of course. From what I remember of fluid dynamics in college, that would seem to be better than it opening up as it gets to the valve area. This may be an oversimplification, but it's how I think about it at the moment.

What are the chances you can get your hands on one of the new TF small block intakes to see how it compares out of the box? I think that would be a lot more compelling than looking at an Air Gap.

My chances of finding an untouched TrickFlow intake are right around 0%. My buddy has a set of TrickFlow heads and has been wanting to bring them over but we are both around 65 and have had alternating health issues. Tim also runs and owns Bowman Performance so he's a busy guy. Most of my stuff except the 360 I ported this for and my sons engine have been changed over to Indy intakes.

Ok guys this will probably be my last update on this intake and all I can say is it is what it is. A lower horsepower intake that with some minor work fry some tires. I know I will never touch one again and probably recommend my son find a better choice. I flipped the intake 180 degrees to flow the other side and that runner is totally different than the previous side and to me the numbers suck and I reworked it and flowed it three different times. I won’t even show what I did to make the other runner work as like I said I have a hole that I have to weld up. More time wasted. I was going to move the head and try other runners but wasted time is wasted time. I won’t even waste the time rewriting the flow numbers but my scribbled ones are down below. Numbers for that runner are in the right column
image.jpg

John, we’re very glad u posted all the pics and info with all ur hard work. Thank u very much. Kim

Thanks guys. It has its place but I guess making this work on a 550 shortblock is like me trying to date a 24 year old beauty queen that owns a Helcat challenger.

Last edited:
My opinion is it's a great intake to slap a 5.2/5.9 magnum in your classic. I've never considered it a real HP maker.

Thanks guys. It has its place but I guess making this work on a 550 shortblock is like me trying to date a 24 year old beauty queen that owns a Helcat challenger.

One of those sounds like too much maintenance for a purchase. Maybe just a short term rental? :)

My opinion is it's a great intake to slap a 5.2/5.9 magnum in your classic. I've never considered it a real HP maker.
I bet most people eyeballing those are sold on that, along with that it’s “aluminum and looks the part” and it’s cheap. No other reason otherwise.

I bet most people eyeballing those are sold on that, along with that it’s “aluminum and looks the part” and it’s cheap. No other reason otherwise.
I have 3 of them, for the specific reason of they work on LA/Mag and they are cheap. I installed one on the 318 truck and it worked great on the stock 318. Fitment was great as well. I wouldn't pick the intake for a 475 HP build...

I agree. It is tons cheaper than the worthy Edelbrock manifold. As a basic upgrade, it’ll work just fine. I’d treat that SM intake like a OEM iron intake or worse. I wouldn’t even put much of a cam behind it to power it.
If your interested in making a good 5.2/5.9 into a nice street engine above just simple bolt on parts, the Edelbrock is the way to go. Couple up your base Magnum with a cam to suite and Edelbrock's intake and your on your way quite well IMO.

-
Back