Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
I'd be tempted to try pushing the chamber out a bit to give the intake a bit more breathing room.

Such as in this this pic of a Hughes BigMouth head I stole from RAMM.

bigmouse-jpg.jpg

1CF3A13A-5364-40E9-9326-BC74E0CED91C.jpeg
Surprise again unworked exhaust chamber

.100——-34
.200——-95
.300——135
.400——159
.500——172
.600——179
.700——181

Just a little bit noisy but never backed up. Early on in this post I said I hated to even waste my time flowing the exhaust ports because of the big divot in each exhaust port under the seat. Well guess what guys I think it was intentional by Speedmaster. It made me dig in my stash and drag out an Edelbrock Head that was unmodified. What a bunch of crap. This is the divot on the Speedmaster heads. The shortside is as smooth as a babies butt and nicely rounded. Finger approved.

Last edited:
Let’s be fair now......
Those are “bare” Ede heads.

If you buy assembled Ede heads, they aren’t like that.

The seat would have 2 angles and a radius into the bowl, with some minor blending.

View attachment 1715446715 Surprise against unworked exhaust chamber

.100——-34
.200——-95
.300——135
.400——159
.500——172
.600——179
.700——181

Just a little bit noisy but never backed up. Early on in this post I said I hated to even waste my time flowing the exhaust ports because of the big divot in each exhaust port under the seat. Well guess what guys I think it was intentional by Speedmaster. It made me dig in my stash and drag out an Edelbrock Head that was unmodified. What a bunch of crap. This is the divot on the Speedmaster heads. The shortside is as smooth as a babies butt and nicely rounded. Finger approved.

Just so I’m on the right page with this post...... you have pic of a chamber with some mods, and flow numbers saying no chamber mods......
So, those are numbers from a different hole that had no chamber work?

Just so I’m on the right page with this post...... you have pic of a chamber with some mods, and flow numbers saying no chamber mods......
So, those are numbers from a different hole that had no chamber work?

Yes sir no mods on the one marked no mods. I was kinda shocked by what I saw so I wanted to see if the chamber mods were responsible. Speedmaster has been doing some homework

Let’s be fair now......
Those are “bare” Ede heads.

If you buy assembled Ede heads, they aren’t like that.

The seat would have 2 angles and a radius into the bowl, with some minor blending.

My Speedmaster heads were bare.

Yes, but the bare Ede head isn’t ready to be assembled and run....... they have blank seats and no valve job.

The SM bare head is finish machined the same as the assembled heads.

Sure, that’s nice benefit with their bare head vs the Ede head.
But you’re comparing a finished head to an unfinished head.

I guess my main point being...... if one buys assembled Ede heads, that’s not how the seats are.

If you buy an assembled SM head, the seats are the same as the bare heads you bought.

Last edited:
I scribe on the block, but really it makes no diff if it turns out the same. Dowels locate the head exactly how it will be when mounted. I use no gasket when scribing it so i dont get angled and into the lil crevis, ending up larger.
Id expect numbers like that with a pipe.

My Speedmaster heads were bare.
Yes, but the bare Ede head isn’t ready to be assembled and run....... they have blank seats and no valve job.

The SM bare head is finish machined the same as the assembled heads.

Sure, that’s nice benefit with their bare head vs the Ede head.
But you’re comparing a finished head to an unfinished head.

I guess my main point being...... if one buys assembled Ede heads, that’s not how the seats are.

If you buy an assembled SM head, the seats are the same as the bare heads you bought.

fence.gif

No bickering on my end...... I’m mostly trying to eliminate someone misinterpreting what they’re seeing with Johns pic of the bare Ede heads.

Yes, what’s there is pretty ugly.
But the only way that’s what one would get from Edelbrock is to buy the heads bare.
I think it’s fair to say most people buy RPM heads assembled...... and if they did, the seats aren’t like that.

That’s it...... carry on......

I do like the dueling smilies though.

No bickering on my end...... I’m mostly trying to eliminate someone misinterpreting what they’re seeing with Johns pic of the bare Ede heads.

Yes, what’s there is pretty ugly.
But the only way that’s what one would get from Edelbrock is to buy the heads bare.
I think it’s fair to say most people buy RPM heads assembled...... and if they did, the seats aren’t like that.

That’s it...... carry on......

I do like the dueling smilies though.

I’m in the house now and I won’t say if I bought those heads bare or not till I look at them. I usually buy them complete because of the valve costs. I already had the intakes opened up for 2.08 valves by my local shop. So if there are two angles on the exhaust seats you are saying these were complete right?

@pittsburghracer

Now that you have flow numbers from a stock int/exh, would it be alright if I made a reference post in Head Flow thread with your numbers so I can add them to the spreadsheet?

Make sure that isn’t a Magnum head. I think the chamber is pushed out more on those.
I'm pretty sure hat pic is of a cnc version of the LA head. The magnum head does have a chamber that looks similar though. IMO the eddy magnum chamber is a bit better than the LA head chamber in overall shape.

Please give play by play if and when you can. :thankyou:

I drilled the bolt holes leaving about 1/8 inch left before coming out the deck with a 9/16 drill bit removing app 50-60 thousands of material. I cut two pieces of 9/16 - 3 1/4 long. Then I cut four pieces of 17/32 K&S tubing 2 3/4 inch long for the pushrod holes. Mixed up some JBWeld applied it and tapped them in. (6 pieces) After it sets I will dress them up and post a couple pictures. Two rockerarm oiling holes will also need redrilled.

-
Back