Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
Holidays are over and my plans were to hit the shop tomorrow morning. My neighbor just called and told me her husband was just placed in Hospice. He has been a friend and neighbor since I bought my house in 1985. He asked to see me so that is now tomorrow’s priority.

While we are talking about head gaskets, what is recommended for cast block and aluminum heads? Any gasket types not to use?
I normally use the 1008.. but my current heads were gasket matched and counter sunk to accommodate my Pistons that are .010 proud.. I think the easy way for me to go with these closed chamber heads is to just use 8553's..

He asked to see me so that is now tomorrow’s priority.
2 thumbs up would be a weak reply to your willingness to visit your friend.
Lost a few friends in the past years,seems surreal when the family requests no visitors.
The two that allowed me to visit gave more closure. It was a chance to say goodbye in this life,see you in the next.

When they ask to see ya, you go. If ya don't it can leave a wound that never heals. Good on ya. Been dealing with that sort of thing alot the last couple years. Time for a break...

When they ask to see ya, you go. If ya don't it can leave a wound that never heals. Good on ya. Been dealing with that sort of thing alot the last couple years. Time for a break...
Agreed. It is really an easy thing to do. Any decent respectable person would come at the beckoning in such times.

You need to be there for them. It's great you can help.

You re not recomeding or are you recomeding the 1008 felpro

Holidays are over and my plans were to hit the shop tomorrow morning. My neighbor just called and told me her husband was just placed in Hospice. He has been a friend and neighbor since I bought my house in 1985. He asked to see me so that is now tomorrow’s priority.

Sorry to read this. Adding your friend and his family and yours to our prayer list.

My friend and neighbor Ed passed away peacefully last night at 10:45. His wife messaged me this morning and let me know. He fought the battle and he’s now painfree. Thanks for all thoughts and Prayers.

My friend and neighbor Ed passed away peacefully last night at 10:45. His wife messaged me this morning and let me know. He fought the battle and he’s now painfree. Thanks for all thoughts and Prayers.

My condolences, it's always hardest when it's a fight till the end.

Sorry to hear this..... :(

Sorry to hear that he passed. He is in a better place now. No more pain and suffering. Prayers.

Today’s shocker

I finally got my butt back in the shop today to flow the exhaust side of this head and after checking it twice and exhaust air speed I’m still sitting here shaking my head. Now these numbers as almost always for me are without a pipe.

.200————100
.300————142
.400————164
.500————176
.600————180
.700————185
.800————185
.850————184

This is the quietest exhaust port I have ever flowed in this type of head. I never flow a head like this to .850 lift but I wanted to see where it would go turbulent. It didn’t. After my second flow test I backed it off to .500 lift and cranked my depression from 28 to 36 and it was flowing in the 212 area and still didn’t go turbulent. Now remember the only mod I did was quite a bit of chamber work. I hate flowing exhaust but not only will this be going back on for more testing after a valve job and port shaping but I will be flow testing another port that has zero work.

Last edited:
Air speed test was done at .500 lift (flowing 176). My desired results on exhaust air speed is at least in the 325 area. Upper top right corner I found 270 with is great for this type of head. Again very quiet so this port would make horsepower.

Have you had your hands on a set of Speedmaster small block heads, any testing ?

I almost bought a set when they were on sale, but just don't have a purpose for them so I didn't. I'd love to get my hands on a pair and try some stuff.
Nice to see some knowledgeable people do some testing on them.

Today’s shocker

I finally got my butt back in the shop today to flow the exhaust side of this head and after checking it twice and exhaust air speed I’m still sitting here shaking my head. Now these numbers as almost always for me are without a pipe.

.100————-37
.200————100
.300————142
.400————164
.500————176
.600————180
.700————185
.800————185
.850————184

This is the quietest exhaust port I have ever flowed in this type of head. I never flow a head like this to .850 lift but I wanted to see where it would go turbulent. It didn’t. After my second flow test I backed it off to .500 lift and cranked my depression from 28 to 36 and it was flowing in the 212 area and still didn’t go turbulent. Now remember the only mod I did was quite a bit of chamber work. I hate flowing exhaust but not only will this be going back on for more testing after a valve job and port shaping but I will be flow testing another port that has zero work.
That's good news. Not a bad head for the price! Thanks for all your work!

B3F1E71B-3DEE-41A3-82D1-20CC80FF39F4.jpeg
A2B575F3-31E2-4E87-B664-495831A26FBA.jpeg
194717E0-6510-4072-B994-AA7E61D6CB74.jpeg

Guys here are a couple of pictures mounted on a .030 over 360 block marking the chambers with a 1008 head gasket which I have done for years. I lay out my head surface with blueing and keep it for on moving with a new set of wheel studs I keep for this job. The kneeling fits tightly in the head bolt holes to prevent the gasket from moving. I hold my scribe straight so there is a small airgap from the gasket edge. I needed the flash to take these but it kinda makes it hard to see mounted on a block.
Bottom picture is an unworked chamber.

-
Back