Speedo Assist

-

aimplus

Reaction score
This is about a 1975 Duster, 225 cid and a 904 Automatic Trans.

Had my speedo start making noise and bouncing all over. Replaced speedo. Didn't help so replace cable. worked for a bit then back again. All that is left is the speedo drive gear.

Can anyone tell me the proper number of teeth it should have. I have seen many versions.

Thanks
aimplus

If you didn't lube your cable your spinning your wheels, these old cable need lubed. Everyone has different ideas on what to lube it with, but you will have to pull the inner cable out and lube it, generasly.

Thanks guys.

The speedo cable is brand new and I checked it for lube before installation. All good.

The rear end is a 7 1/4 stock. Original tire size I will need to find. If you know the base gear ratio for a 7 1/4 I'd appreciate knowing. This is my first Duster so I am a babe in the woods and have not had a huge amount of time to explore it. Just putting out fires.

aimplus

Have you checked the gear in the transmission, if the gear isn't installed correctly it could slip and cause what you are seeing.
also you could drive around the neighborhood with the cable disconnected from the speedometer.
if it inst spinning smoothly the problem isn't the speedometer.

I would take it out and inspect it before assuming that it is bad and spending more money.
C

-
Back