speedo cable trouble

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
so i have a 1965 dodge dart with a auto 904 trans. i have 2 different speedo cable but they are not correct. one is threaded on both ends and one has a push lock on it. what cable do i need and where can i get it. thanks.

If the 904 is original your best bet is to find a used one as they are unique and not available new (unless you find a NOS cable) to the 65-earlier cars where they install into the transmission. The early cable's gears are also for 65-earlier as well and kind of hard to find.. If the transmission is a 66 or later, then you need a 66/67 A Body cable which uses the commonly found speedo pinions.

Rock auto, summit.
both mine came from rock auto. maybe I am missing something. I have not removed mine from the tail shaft but it looks like it has a o-ring end and held in with some keeper.

You need one that screws in on both ends the push on one started in 68'
Oh I see now a 65

both mine came from rock auto. maybe I am missing something. I have not removed mine from the tail shaft but it looks like it has a o-ring end and held in with some keeper.

If you have one, why do you need another? Leaking, inner cable won't turn?

mine is broke. I am trying to replace it. that is the one in the car still. thanks for your help guys I bought a nos cable off eBay.

IIRC the cable screws on at both ends. The square drive cable is available by itself. Cut to fit, then stake the other square ferrule end on with a hammer and a little supplied clip. Lube with graphite powder.

-
Back