SPEEDO PROBLEMS

-

Blu 69 Dart

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart and when the car reaches 60 m.p.h. the needle starts bouncing all over.
I've changed the cable and the pinion gear on the transmission after marking proper location
When I had the cable off the tranny, I connected an electric drill to speedo cable and it would run up to 100 m.p.h. easy , no problem.

Just a guess here, a square cable receiver is packed with hardened grease and debris. Cable attached applies force to instrument. Cable detach from either end relieves the force.

I see you changed the cable, but have you tried lubing the cable with some graphite. speedo cables do funny things when they are dry

I had this exact issue with my 67 Barracuda. I have a 4-speed and put on a "replacement" cable. It was 4" too long which was a PITA but the big problem was it didn't have that little ring crimped onto the inner cable near the speedometer end. It worked great for about 10 miles but the cable would "walk" and with nothing stopping it, it wound up jamming itself up into the speedometer. I pulled it out and put it back in again, 10 miles later the needle was jammed all the way over past 120 and it was popping and making a crazy noise. I greased up the original, put it back in and have had no problems since. That "replacement" cable went into the trash.

happened to my 69 gt . it was the bushing bearing on the speedo drive . needed to get cleaned , debured and lubed . cable don't have anything to do with my sweeping speedo . and make sure your speedo cable routing has no hard or tightness as it gets mounted to the speedo itself . had one hang up and read wrong on a duster do to the wrong routing and a bind on the finial attachment .

I'm into the boxer/briefs and not the speedos any more. I'm too old for speedos. Back into day I could rock them things. Today, not so much.

Oh wait, this is speedometer talk.

Sorry about that.
Carry on.
I need to READ the thread before posting.

yellow rose , you must get back your confidence . should you get that want to wear speedo's again , well hell just put it or them on and shoot some selfies pics , and you can send them to show you've still got it , and more . lol . oh and thats okay about not understanding the thread , it happens to me all the time , lol . and a guy like you should not po po , vintage stuff . for thats what we all are , vintage . thats another word for older then dirt , and not all the parts are there or working , and showing signs of wear . right just like us , lol !

I had this exact issue with my 67 Barracuda. I have a 4-speed and put on a "replacement" cable. It was 4" too long which was a PITA but the big problem was it didn't have that little ring crimped onto the inner cable near the speedometer end. It worked great for about 10 miles but the cable would "walk" and with nothing stopping it, it wound up jamming itself up into the speedometer. I pulled it out and put it back in again, 10 miles later the needle was jammed all the way over past 120 and it was popping and making a crazy noise. I greased up the original, put it back in and have had no problems since. That "replacement" cable went into the trash.
You got lucky. Forces from speedo cable are the common cause of that instruments death.

ya it looks like its freaking out n rabbiting around on its way to a crippling scrap death . had my speedo repair guy eyes light up and eye brows up to his hair line , as i told him what was happening with the speedo . hey there yellow rose , he's a thin guy so the speedo suits him fine , lol .

happened to my 69 gt . it was the bushing bearing on the speedo drive . needed to get cleaned , debured and lubed . cable don't have anything to do with my sweeping speedo . and make sure your speedo cable routing has no hard or tightness as it gets mounted to the speedo itself . had one hang up and read wrong on a duster do to the wrong routing and a bind on the finial attachment .

Thanks everyone for your replies , but would putting electric drill on cable, ( and working fine), not take away the routing issue. Just asking.
Thanks again, Mick

Thanks everyone for your replies , but would putting electric drill on cable, ( and working fine), not take away the routing issue. Just asking.
Thanks again, Mick
The cable makes about 90 degree turn under the drivers seat area ( held in place with a sheet metal strap there ) and continues on to the trans. You didn't attach a drill without altering that L to some extent.
In routing such cables and typing here, the L isn't a good example due to the sharp corner. Wide smooth radius turns and ends landing very close to where they attach is the goal.

yep , redfish , that cable turns 90 deg's twice out of the trans and then again up the firewall then through that to the back of the speedo . and there is where the speedo can be placed in a bind on the speedo drive bushings . cable needs to be relaxed at each end .

Installed new cable and housing in my 72 demon . Lubed cable first. Speedometer still bounced with 10 mph swings.
Pulled cable and relubed with what seemed like too much.
Reinstalled and it worked fine now.
Yote

-
Back