Speedometer Cable Removal

-

MassDart

Lifelong Dart fan
Reaction score
I'd like to take my cable off and lube it as the speedometer needle bounces like crazy from 0-120 mph. Hoping that it actually is the cable.

I crawled up underneath to remove it from the back of the instrument thinking it would just unscrew, I found that it has some kind of plastic clip holding it.

Anyone have any idea how this releases? I don't want to break it.

Thanks,

Doug

This a 67’? If so mash the tab and pull it off the speedometer.
If you are gonna pull the cable out of the tube just disconnect it at the trans and pull it out. Clean and lube it and push it back in. Make sure the square end is seated in the speedometer then reinstall in the trans.

yea I had it backwards:lol: 67’ is the screw cap and newer is the clip

Last edited:
I assume your vehicle is a '68 or newer? If so, there's a little plastic trigger built into the plastic end connector. Depress that trigger and the cable should slip right off the speedo head with just a slight pull on the cable housing. Check that the input shaft in the speed head turns easily and smoothly. It may be that the bushing is worn out and causing the shaft and magnet inside to bounce around a bit. Trace your speedo cable all the way to the extension housing of the transmission to check for kinks, melted spots, or other damage to the cable housing.

Press on the back of the tab to release it and pull it gently off as needed...

A '67 uses a screw-on connector at the speedo head......even real early '68's did too until they ran out of them and went to the newer design. Sometimes, once you get the upper end disconnected, you can pull the inner cable right out, lube it, and slide it right back in without having to take the housing loose on the transmission end. I'd recommend that you do take both ends loose though, if nothing else, it will help in lubing the full length of the cable, and you really need to check the cable housing from end to end for damage.

This a 67’? If so mash the tab and pull it off the speedometer.
If you are gonna pull the cable out of the tube just disconnect it at the trans and pull it out. Clean and lube it and push it back in. Make sure the square end is seated in the speedometer the reinstall in the trans.

yea I had it backwards:lol: 67’ is the screw cap and newer is the clip

Car is a '67. I also thought it was just going to be a screw type.

If you get to completely quit bouncing let me know how. My ‘72 Demon - I put in new cable and housing ( lubed well) it still bounced. New gear and still bounced. Removed speedometer, disassembled, cleaned and lubed with very light oil - it still bounces, but after all of this only below 45 mph. All gears and bushings appeared to be good with no slop. Also with my big clumsy hands and tight space found it very difficult to depress plastic clip and remove from rear of speedometer (I broke the clip) . Finally with time and lot of #&*@ got it back on and seems to stay ( so far). GOOD LUCK !!!
Yote

The needle would bounce in my 1982 Dodge Aries, especially at lower road speeds. I found the spinning magnet was in a plastic yoke which had cracked to bend and was dragging on the aluminum cup (needle attaches to it). I fixed 'er by wrapping tight thread and epoxying. Even worse in my 1965 Chrysler. As-found the speedo didn't work and the cable was broken. With a new cable, the needle would bounce. Good I dug deeper since I found the magnet wobbled in a worn bore which had caused it to grab the aluminum cup and almost twist it off, but fortunately the cable died to save it. I tried rebushing myself with primitive tools, but folded and mailed it to a speedo shop in Bakersfield, CA who did a great restoration. I recall they used a permanently lubed brass bushing, much better than the factory bare aluminum bore. Has worked great since. Motto - don't live with a bouncing needle or things will get much worse. You need a smoothly spinning magnet.

The needle would bounce in my 1982 Dodge Aries, especially at lower road speeds. I found the spinning magnet was in a plastic yoke which had cracked to bend and was dragging on the aluminum cup (needle attaches to it). I fixed 'er by wrapping tight thread and epoxying. Even worse in my 1965 Chrysler. As-found the speedo didn't work and the cable was broken. With a new cable, the needle would bounce. Good I dug deeper since I found the magnet wobbled in a worn bore which had caused it to grab the aluminum cup and almost twist it off, but fortunately the cable died to save it. I tried rebushing myself with primitive tools, but folded and mailed it to a speedo shop in Bakersfield, CA who did a great restoration. I recall they used a permanently lubed brass bushing, much better than the factory bare aluminum bore. Has worked great since. Motto - don't live with a bouncing needle or things will get much worse. You need a smoothly spinning magnet.

Do you remember the name of the speedo shop you sent it to?

Don't run the cable through your fingers trying to scrape the old or apply the new grease/graphite before you check it for burs. I hooked my finger good doing this as the spun wire broke and was sticking out about 2mm.

-
Back