Speedometer Help

-

jcsquare

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster with a factory speedometer unit. It is not working and I cannot figure out why. I purchase a new cable like the one pictured below. Installed it making sure that the little clip fits into the grove on the speedometer unit....no luck. I tried another speedometer unit...no luck.

In both cases, i checked the connection to the transmission to make sure it was tight. I tried wiggling the cable while driving ...no luck..the speedometer needle does not move at all.

Any suggestions...anybody? What do i try next?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Dash2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 258
Maybe pull the speedo servo (gear) housing. Make sure there's a gear in there, and if so is it seated properly? Also no excessive kinks/bends in the cable when routing it...Just a thought...

Pat

Lift rear tires off of the ground, remove speedometer cable end from speedometer pinion housing, rotate driveshaft by hand and see if the speedometer pinion gear is moving. If it's not then remove bolt and clamp, look for a line /raised mark on the trans, and see which line it is on the pinion housing before removing(mark with a crayon or sharpie) . They are clocked to match the gear. Remove and inspect the gear. There is a number on the gear so if it's broken go to ebag, I got one for 12 bucks. If it's not broken,make sure the lines are matching for the correct pinion gear number . It will say on the housing 34-40 teeth or something like that you align the marks to the corresponding teeth. If it was moving when you spun the driveshaft the problem must be in the speedometer head or incorrect cable

The easiest way to confirm that the speedometer gauge is functioning is to remove the cable from the transmission and attach your drill. Quick couple clicks on the drill and you should see the needle on the speedometer gauge moving. If this checks out okay, make sure you have a good connection from the cable to your speedo gear in the trans, if this doesn't work you may have issues with the transmission gear teeth on the wheel.

Thanks for your help everyone. I found the problem.

The previous owner did not put a gear in the speedo servo (gear) housing. I guess he was not interested in knowing how fast or slow he was traveling.

BTW - yes, this post was in the wrong section. MY Bad.

-
Back