Speedometer off

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
so I know my Speedo if off a bit.

Downloaded a gps speedo app for my phone.
When the app is reading 60mph
My speedometer is reading 67.

So my question is, do I need to go up a tooth or down a tooth on the speedometer gear?
I need to pull the current one out this weekend to see what it is. Changed it out a couple years ago but apparently didn’t get it right.

You need to slow down the speedo so the gear on the cable needs to get bigger

There is a chart you can use online at Mopar Speedometer Pinion Numbers - the last two numbers are the number of gear teeth on the transmission pinion gear.

You need to know your rear tire diameter & rear axle ratio.

The pinion gears have the number of teeth embossed on them in a circle.

so I know my Speedo if off a bit.

Downloaded a gps speedo app for my phone.
When the app is reading 60mph
My speedometer is reading 67.

So my question is, do I need to go up a tooth or down a tooth on the speedometer gear?
I need to pull the current one out this weekend to see what it is. Changed it out a couple years ago but apparently didn’t get it right.

Mine is exactly 5 slow and below is the list of things I have done about it.:D
1. Nothing, I know what it means when it says 70.

I know I could just leave it, or fire up the app when I drive it, but it’s just little **** like that that bugs me.

LOL, I know exactly what you mean.
Hopefully I'll be changing tire and wheel sizes before long, so I'll get to it after that.

There is a chart you can use online at Mopar Speedometer Pinion Numbers - the last two numbers are the number of gear teeth on the transmission pinion gear.

You need to know your rear tire diameter & rear axle ratio.

The pinion gears have the number of teeth embossed on them in a circle.
That looks like the chart I used last time. I had to guess a bit, cause my tires are like 25.5”, and 3:23 gears not 3:21 like the chart says.
Looking at that I probably went with the 33 tooth. Looks like the next one up is a 35. But I’ll pull it and check before I buy one

Is it accurate at slow speeds?
It may be the speedometer needs calibration if it gets worse as speed increases.Mine is dead on at slow speeds but off by 10 % or higher as speed gets above 55 or 60

Current Speedometer Reading = CSR

Actual speed = AS

Ratio = R

CSR / AS = R (67 MPH / 60 MPH = 1.117)

Current Speedometer Gear Number of Teeth = CNT

New Speedometer Gear Number of Teeth = NNT

(Assume you have 33 teeth now)

CNT x R = NNT (33 teeth x 1.117 = 36.85 teeth)

Speedometer Reading with New Gear =SNG

CNT / NNT x CSR = SNG (33 teeth / 36.85 teeth x 67 MPH = 60MPH)

They don't make gears with 36.85 teeth so let's try 36 and 37 teeth

Next Lower Number of Teeth = LNT

SNG = CNT / LNT x CSR (33 teeth / 36 teeth x 67 MPH = 61.42 MPH)

Next Higher Number of Teeth = HNT

SNG = CNT / HNT x CSR (33 teeth / 37 teeth x 67 MPH = 59.76 MPH)

(AJ/FormS perhaps you could check my math)

I created an excel spreadsheet if anyone is interested PM me if you want a copy
Screen shot
upload_2018-3-16_19-46-38.png

(I changed "Delta = D" to "Ratio = R" and replaced all "D"s with "R"s)

Last edited:
reading fast it is also adding up miles faster on ur car.

But once it rolls over its a low mile car again ;^)

I've got a 1967 Dodge Dart Convertible with only 15,000 miles on it (for the 4th time!)

Dana67Dart,

Thanks for the math, I couldn’t figure that out for myself.
So when I get the old one out if it is in fact a 33, then I’ll look for a 37, that would put me closest to 60 by your calculations

I just used 33 as a sample. You would need to redo the math. Just use your tooth count in place of the 33s in the equations . If you have excel on a pc i have a spread sheet you could use. Pm me your email address

Old rule of thumb for 26 inch tire is gear. X tooth
3.23....33 tooth gear
3.55....35 tooth gear

I just used 33 as a sample. You would need to redo the math. Just use your tooth count in place of the 33s in the equations . If you have excel on a pc i have a spread sheet you could use. Pm me your email address

Tried to pm you, I think my inbox is full, let me fix that and I’ll try again

Mine is exactly 5 slow and below is the list of things I have done about it.:D
1. Nothing, I know what it means when it says 70.
Leave it to Trail Beast to so eloquently describe the best way to handle a speedometer error. LOL Mine has been 5 MPH off for years, and the thought of buying a new gear and installing it makes me think, "Why bother."

So when I get the old one out if it is in fact a 33, then I’ll look for a 37, that would put me closest to 60 by your calculations
I chose 33 based on this chart. (I guessed you had 26" tires and a 3.21 rear ratio) but yes based on the math if you have 33 teeth now you would need 37 to get the closest.
upload_2018-3-16_23-27-25.png

Dana67Dart,

Thanks for the math, I couldn’t figure that out for myself.

I found it a ton simpler to just figure 1 tooth for every 2 miles an hour.:D

Mine seems to be 50 off . At 20 miles per hour my speedo reads around 70. what gear do I need so I don't get pulled over.

what gear do I need so I don't get pulled over.
By my calculations you would need a mature-alot gear. (I do get the humor of your post, but really in a residential neighborhood feet from people, cars and machinery!)

Just my 2 cents (flame me if you need to prove your manliness)

Sometimes experience trumps schooling I guess.
My boss accuses me of taking a simple thing and making it complicated. It's how my brain works, start at the beginning and work the problem to the end. I envy people who see the end from the beginning, it cuts out a lot of calculations!:thumbsup:

you're out by 67/60 = plus 11.7%
You need plus 11.7% more teeth

Exactly, Percentage is a much more accurate way to count this.

I know I could just leave it, or fire up the app when I drive it, but it’s just little **** like that that bugs me.

It'll be off at high speeds or low ones, which is up to you. I prefer accurate in town. There's really only one highway speed I need to worry about, and my speedo errs on the safe side at that speed. There are a lot of smaller speed limits (25mph, 30 mph, 35 mph etc), so I figure accuracy down low is paramount.

Take your tooth count off what you got, multiply by 1.1, and that's your new tooth count. Round per your preference. 33 teeth*1.1=36.3. I'd stab a 36 in there and reclock the housing if needed...

-
Back