Speedometer Question

-

Chuckman

Reaction score
I have a 66 valiant that we just got back on the road after 12 years. The speedometer works, but the needle shakes back and forth over about a 20 MPH span. Is the cable causing this, or something else? How should I fix it?

I have a 1964 Dart GT with the same problem, but mine also makes a crazy grinding/metallic sound sometimes too.(I now think it is the gauge)
I have taken the speedometer cable loose at the back of the speedo, pulled out the inner cable, cleaned it off, lubricated it, sprayed lubricant down the housing and it still doesn't help??? (I used speedometer cable lubricant for motorcycles)

A bouncing needle can be caused by friction in the cable housing (frayed cable). A new cable is cheaper than having the gauge rebuilt, so I'd try that first.

Mine was doing the same but I found a frayed end down where the bend is before going in the tranny, rock auto had new for 15 bucks installed and no problems now.

then I must have a bad gauge(or atleast OLD), the cable was perfectly smooth, no burs or kinks.

You could also have some issues at the speedometer gear at the transmission. It has gotten harder to find good local speedometer repair shops, even in Dallas area.

The bushing on the head where the cable goes into the cluster is lacking lube. Try some 3 in one oil. Also over time the magnet in the head will loose strength causing the gauge to not read the correct speed at all or any speed. This magnet can be recharged and the speedometer calibrated to read the correct MPH at all speeds. A few unwanted speeding tickets are worth the price of having a speedometer looked at by a professional.

get yourself a gps speedometer from speedhut. no more cable or speedo gear
problems.i just finished installing their speedo and 4 gauge set.looks great and i/m very pleased with the results.

Same thing in my 65 Newport. It was a worn bore in the aluminum housing that the magnet yoke spins in. I sent the part to a speedometer shop in Bakersfield and they installed a bronze bushing. If you don't fix it, the yoke will eventually grab the aluminum cup, which hopefully just breaks the cable (my case). Of course, it could just be a grabby cable as mentioned. I haven't looked at a Dart speedo to compare, but my Aries had a similar problem (cracked plastic yoke).

They just email you the speeding ticket!(or text)

Well, Mr Orwell's "1984" hasn't happened yet, but I had the same thought when I saw the GPS speedos.
I heard a newscast the other day that reported several states want us to have GPS so they can tax us.

If ya haven't read the book, do yourself a favor and do so.

BC

-
Back