Spewing coolant from a water pump hole?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Okay, everything is just about ready on my new engine.

Started filling it up with fluids when I ran into this problem.

There's a hole (like a bolt hole) in the water pump that is directly behind the kajigger that the lower radiator hose clamps to. coolant just pours right outta this hole.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get a bolt in there. It's directly behind the casting for the radiator hose.

Is this supposed to be a plug of some sort? a stud?

It sucks that I missed it before dropping the engine in. Little bugger was hiding from me. haha

Anyone know the hole I'm talking about?

I'll try to get a picture, but it's tight and dark. But I'll try.

You didn't say which engine you are working on. Is the hole shown on this small block timing cover.

attachment.php

Let me guess, you bolted the water pump to the timing cover housing, then bolted it all to the engine....you are missing a bolt and the fluid just pours out, need to pull the pump and install that bolt.

It needs a bolt with sealant installed in the hole. There are threads in the block that the bolt screws in to.

T605QjN.jpg

There is seriously no way to get a bolt in there.

rLiHyhR.jpg

Even if I pulled the water pump and set it on the bench. The casting just won't seem to allow it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it should have had a stud? But I really don't remember a stud in the old engine.

This has got me stumped.

it's a small block 318. And now that I went back out there, I'm thinking it might be a timing cover bolt.

Would coolant come out of the timing cover bolt hole that's kind of below/to the side of the fuel pump?

There is seriously no way to get a bolt in there.

Even if I pulled the water pump and set it on the bench. The casting just won't seem to allow it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it should have had a stud? But I really don't remember a stud in the old engine.

This has got me stumped.

Pull the pump off the timing cover housing, install the bolt with sealer and reinstall the water pump.

Damnitall.

I am retarded.

It's a timing cover bolt for sure.

Big thanks to OklaCarCollector for the picture. Seeing that made it "click" in my head.

Guess I gotta get pulling stuff back off... :(

And when you get it back together, check the oil for COOLANT IN THE OIL

Let me guess, you bolted the water pump to the timing cover housing, then bolted it all to the engine....you are missing a bolt and the fluid just pours out, need to pull the pump and install that bolt.

Keith nailed it!

I'm just glad to see a picture of my timing cover in this post! I'm glad you figured out your leak, I am now forewarned, so I might not make that mistake....I'll make DIFFERENT ONES!!!

Make sure to use a bolt with a small head on it. I put a Allen head bolt in that hole and as I was tightening the water pump down it hit the head of the Allen bolt and put a small crack in the back of the water pump. Needless to say I was pretty mad and it took about 2 hours for me to realize what I had done.

-
Back