Spindles and brakes - AGAIN w a difference

-

dodgedave68

Reaction score
HI - fixing up a 64 Barracuda. V8 with 9 inch drums all around.

I have switched the rear end to an 8.75 with big bolt pattern

I have a complete brand new 68 B-body 10 inch DRUM brake set up that id like to use.

I also have a set of the 73-76 A body upper control arms.

So looking at the spindles the B body spindle seems shorter than my 64 spindle? I thought that since both cars could use the 73-76 disc brake spindle that they could swap drum spindles ( you know if f=g and h=g than f should equal h logic)

Help - my 18 yr old will be driving it and i want it safe. and YES I will keep looking for disc brakes, but on a very tight budget and need it on the road asap.

Thanks

Dave

i dont want to create a suspension geometry issues that makes the car unsafe - everyone talks about the later spindles being taller and actually helping the steering - any engineers out there for this one?

I have an MS in ME, but am no suspension expert. My practical shade-tree experience is that people make absurb claims about unsafe suspensions. If the wheels point straight (toe-in) and are fairly vertical (camber), the car will go down the road fine. You can't adjust the caster much. This assumes the vehicle was well-designed for the tricky things like how wheels track on a turn and if the rear end wants to swing around.

The biggest suspension/steering concern is if things are loose, especially the steering. Seen an old movie where the driver is constantly moving the wheel back and forth while driving down the road? I rode in a van in Indonesia where it looked like the driver was fighting 30 deg of play in the steering wheel, and that was a government vehicle. No wonder they roll off mountain roads when they hit a bump.

Once I adjusted the height of my 69 Dart to factory specs, not much of a change as I recall. I didn't know that drastically increases the toe-in. In less than 100 miles on a camping trip, the new front tires were ruined. The car drove straight though. The counter-point is that as a front end sags, toe-in decreases, so if you don't re-align every 5 or 10 years it will change to toe-out which causes a car to wander.

In another case, our minivan was hit in the front side, which bent the left front wheel inward ~20 deg. GEICO fought paying, so I fixed it myself while suing them. Initially, I could only get the wheel to ~5 deg of vertical (after filing strut slots). People said it would never drive right, but I drove it that way for at least a year. It drove perfectly straight on the highway and the tires didn't wear abnormally. Eventually, I used a ram to bend the upper strut mount and front frame back, and got the wheel caster perfect, plus GEICO paid by then.

In your case, I can't see that a slightly shorter spindle would affect things much. Imagine a line between the center of the upper and lower ball-joint. Think of that as a "vertical axle" ("king-pin" in early cars?). Ideally, where that line hits the road will fall in the middle of the contact patch of the wheel in the inward-outward direction. A shorter spindle hardly changes that. A much bigger change comes from changing to wider wheels or ones with a different offset. The other thing to consider is how that vertical axis is inclined in the forward-backward direction. The more it leans backward (caster), the better. You want it to hit the road in front of the contact patch. That will give you better "shopping cart" effect (make car follow better using a tow bar). Too much, and you must force the steering wheel more to turn. We can never get enough caster since A-bodies were designed for bias tires which flex the contact patch backward more than radials. Look at your spindles and see if swapping them left-right will move the upper ball joint center back more, which is good. You will bottom out sooner on the rubber bumper when the front end lifts, but unless you are taking San Franscisco hills like in the movie Bullet, little concern.

HI - fixing up a 64 Barracuda. V8 with 9 inch drums all around.

I have switched the rear end to an 8.75 with big bolt pattern

I have a complete brand new 68 B-body 10 inch DRUM brake set up that id like to use.

I also have a set of the 73-76 A body upper control arms.

So looking at the spindles the B body spindle seems shorter than my 64 spindle? I thought that since both cars could use the 73-76 disc brake spindle that they could swap drum spindles ( you know if f=g and h=g than f should equal h logic)

Help - my 18 yr old will be driving it and i want it safe. and YES I will keep looking for disc brakes, but on a very tight budget and need it on the road asap.

Thanks

Dave

a friend just did that big drum swap on his scamp using his 69 road runner spindles and brakes with the big ball joint upper arms and it worked out great.

Hi - did he use the B Body lower ball joints or do you have to buy the 73 A body lower ball joints

Anytime you make suspension changes check when travel is done on the suspension you didnt create bump steer. It is a bigger factor on the street rods I have built.

MOOG lists the same lower ball joints for a '69 Charger with drums and a '73 Dart with discs if that helps. It should be a bolt and go with what you have. If you want to do a Scarebird disc conversion later on send me a PM and I can save you a few bucks.

-
Back