Spun a Rod Bearing..FLORIDA Help!

-
I got two things. You runnin manifolds? Does the passenger side have a heat riser? They can make all kinds noises. Also it is an automatic? Broken flexplates can raise sand. Lastly.....I'm in middle Georgia. Been buildin engines for almost thirty years. I'll be glad to do the build for you. Won't charge you a dime....as long as I can make a friend. We have a great machine shop in Macon. Cassidy's. I know I'm a ways off, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I've been gettin' some GREAT referrals as I figured.......I appreciate the help and the advice........

I'm gonna try to get under the car in a little while and see what's up......

Well, after careful consideration, I've decided to send the Cuda to B&T Motors here in Zephyrhills for the rebuild......I received some good leads from you guys, and they're all appreciated....in the end, cost and distance (which added to cost) were the deciding factors, aside from the good references this shop had.

Looks like we're gonna repaint the engine bay, front end parts, etc. while the motor is out.....I'm welcome to come in and take photos as he progresses the build, and he's gonna save all the old parts for inspection. Complete rebuild, including the heads, plus a correct repaint of all parts before installation.....He rips it and replaces it..... Worst case, $2,000.

Considering the cost of a replacement short block and the extra work involved for me to do such a thing, it seems like a great deal.

Car goes in on the 30th with a 4 day turnaround on the rebuild, then paint. We'll bring it back to my shop for the engine bay paint and clean-up.

I'll put pics up as we go, INCLUDING the source of that "NOISE" we're talking about.

Wow, that's a killer price! I have over $2,400.00 in an AMC 360 in parts and machine work alone. Hope they do a good job for you.

He's losin money doin it that cheap. Are you sure the noise was engine related?

The shop hasn't even looked at the car.......He ran prices for the machine work and new parts for a complete rebuild, then quoted me.......He even built in a "buffer zone" depending on what shape he finds the crank in.

They have their own machine shop here in town connected with the local speed shop.....that's probably one way they keep prices down a bit....BUT, I've been here before too.......

I had my 460 rebuilt in my tow rig about 10 years back or so.......It started out at $2500. with that being a worst case scenario........Needless to say, we ended up at over $3500. with fancy valves ("cause that's all they could get") and extra labor........

If this guy comes in at $2500. or under, I'm gonna throw a clam bake. :love7:

Yeah, but can we still get any decent clams? I can't find a distributor since Land O'Lakes Seafood went belly up..........

WELL......Here it is....... This baby got HOT, ya' think? Our best guesses would be that when the oil filter relocation kit was installed, it put just that much more requirement to the old oil pump.....apparently way too much....she just wasn't getting oil....IF I'd had my new dash in and all the gauges working, it may have been averted.......but to what end? This is an original 67 273, and the original owners obviously did NOT maintain it properly...........Look at the second photo........sludge.......timing chain was really loose, etc.......Just plain TIRED.......I'm glad it happened as it did....close to home.

Hell my 66 was that clean inside when i changed intake manifold and timing chain last year. It had never been cracked open as far as i know.

What would you guys say to this proposal.........

I've been offered to have my 904 removed, cleaned, rebuilt and mildly modded (nice upgrades), AND to have the driveshaft redone and balanced, and my "ready to go" 8-3/4 rearend swapped in for the existing 7-1/4.......

The guys at the shop will do all the work, on the ground and out the door for an extra $900..............

What do ya' think ?? :clock: Gotta let'em know by Wednesday.

I think they are either workign for nothing, or really reallly slow.. Or stupid... If they can make all this happen you are getting the deal of the century and better at least buy lunch for them... For a week...lol. Those are fantastic prices. I couldn't do the work myself on my own car for that cheap. (no, not kidding... I can't imagine where they are getting parts from...)

All parts and boxes are being laid out as they come in so I can take photos.....as a matter of fact, he encourages me to come and document it all.......we're gettin' all the machine shop specs on the block, crank and rods, and have the option of choosing our OWN new parts if we want.......

SOooooooooo, the complete rebuild (including repair of an existing exhaust problem....some welding necessary), paint the engine bay & front end parts, paint the motor, rebuild the tranny (with upgrades), balance the driveshaft (re-weld) and swap in my 8-3/4...........All for $2900.............

We shall see what we shall see............

Whats the name of the shop and where is it located, let us know how everything turns out. Sounds like a good deal the engine rebuild for my sons 240sx was more than that.

It's B&T Auto on 54 in Zephyrhills.......and he's aware of the FABO connection........

This guy seems like a straight shooter......has done some nice motors in the area......lots of custom work.

This build will be completely documented here on FABO, as well as the extra work I mentioned, should I decide to go for it........(I hope he takes cards....) :toothy10:

Well, for an update on the progress, when they tore down the crank assembly, they found a little scoring where I started to spin a main........

The local machine shop doesn't currently do line bores, so the block had to be shipped over to Daytona by my builder.....and they had a backlog......SO, with luck, the block will be back this week and they'll start the assembly.....I'm waitin' for a call to come over and take photos when the block gets back.....

This added another couple-hundred + to the overall cost of the engine rebuild (mainly due to the shipping problem), but we're still under what I'm hoping for.

Gotta be patient I guess.................:clock:

You're probably right SG, but this shop uses a couple of pro's they've done business with for a long time I guess.......

I'm with you on the principle......I really like to see LOCALS get business instead of farming stuff out long distance.

-
Back