sqeaking belt

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed my power steering belt was squealing, and was pretty loud if I reved the engine. So we put a smaller belt on it. If I push down on the belt it goes down about 1/2inch which is what it should be. The alternator belt is the same. It helped a little but still sqeaking. So I squirted all the pulleys with belt dressing, even cleaned it real good when the belt was off. Still doing it. Any suggestions. Thanks

Belt dressing wont do you any good. I'd say tighten it up some, what kind of belt is it? I've found that most brands, except i think i have a Dayco, have that ribbed back that i've had issues with tossing in the past. Also check your pulley alignment.

It is a dayco belt. Only got it because I get a discount from work. Where I get most of my parts. It only seems to squick when I rev the engine, and its a quiet constant squick while the car is in drive only. I don't here anything while its in park. I'll see if I can tighten it a little more. Thanks

Eww Dayco! Gates Green belts. Your pulley is probably glazed. A slight scuffing with some emerycloth on the pulley, and check the belt for glazing to. Dayco's stretch quick, and the gates cost a whole lot more but don't tend to stretch.

-
Back