Squeaky Brakes...cause?

-

Stepper

Reaction score
Off brand brakes question.....
About a month or so ago I did the brakes on my fiance's 07 saturn ion.
I replaced the front rotors and had the rear drums resurfaced at O'Reiley's (formerly aka Murray's).
Now, the rear drums squeak very loudly when braking. But they only squeak at the very end of the braking. What I mean by that is, when I first step on the brake pedal, there's no abnormal noise. It's at the very end when the car is almost at a complete stop when the rear brakes make the loud squeal.

I've done brakes for decades and have not tun into this.
I tried taking the pads off again and cleaned everything, but they still squeal.
There's still plenty of pad material.

Did I maybe not adjust something properly?
Could it be the pads I purchased?

Anyone have ideas?

Sometimes that squeek comes from crisp square edges on the linnings. OEM linnings wouldl have beveled edges when aftermarket linings dont.
Another factor is linnng material. A OEM simi metallic linning wouldn't squeek but a aftermarket lifetime guaranteed kevlar linning will. The counter clecks at part stores always offer svevral options. They can't know the alternative linning might squeek for a lifetime. I always reply, " Same as OEM ".

So are you suggesting I have the drums resurfaced or purchase new OEM drums?

The drums currently installed are the OEM drums. I simply had them resurfaced at the parts store.

Or are you referring to the brake pads themselves and the edges on them?

Thanks for the reply.

-
Back