Squirrels....

-

Small Block

Reaction score
My son and i set up a new deer stand along with a feeder and of course a camera to monitor what was coming by. We set all of this up on wednesday and checked the camera about 11 am on friday. We had 157 pics and when we got back to the shop and checked the chip on the computer we had a bunch of pics of SQUIRRELS. Needless to say i know how to fix that problem. We headed for the blind which sat about 10 yds from the feeder and took the 22 rifle and our bows. By dark we took home 9 of the rodents. The next morning i went out by myself and i brought home another 11 rodents. I'm eating left over squirrel now. Still no deer but time will prevail. I sure love shooting and eating those little critters. The boy took pics of our game and will try and post later. These things are thick. I love to eat em.
Small Block

Never had squirell. How do they taste? White or dark meat? How do you cook them?

Joking?? You must have led a over protective life growing up. Have you never hunted? Ramcharger. You'd love em. Naturally you would skin em and then cut em up into pieces such as legs and the back pieces then i season them with a verity of your favorite seasoning. This dose i did with creole. Melt some butter flavored Crisco in a fry pan and shake the pieces of squirrel in salted flour and then place em in the pan and fry till done. This is real hillbilly cuisine. "The guy that eats the most squirrel gets the most hair" Good stuff Maynard. What say you MeMike?
Small Block

I've had deer, duck, pheasant, elk, moose, buffalo, antelope and bear but never racoon or squirrel. I've been tempted to try out the dog's treats once or twice too, lol.

Thanks for the info Smallblock. I going to have to try this sometime.

They are great in a stew, my kids and I used to eat it all the time when they were little and we were really broke, ah the good old days.

Used to eat it all the time too growing up...still do. Mom and my grandmother used to cook up all the small game that dad ,my uncles, myself would get on a Saturday hunt....rabbit, squirrel, grouse, and ring neck.

I'm only 18 lol I do go shooting I have a mosin nagant m91 but Ive never been hunting, that sounds alright I guess lol I'll try it out next time Im stuck in the forest

Joking?? You must have led a over protective life growing up. Have you never hunted? Ramcharger. You'd love em. Naturally you would skin em and then cut em up into pieces such as legs and the back pieces then i season them with a verity of your favorite seasoning. This dose i did with creole. Melt some butter flavored Crisco in a fry pan and shake the pieces of squirrel in salted flour and then place em in the pan and fry till done. This is real hillbilly cuisine. "The guy that eats the most squirrel gets the most hair" Good stuff Maynard. What say you MeMike?
Small Block

Ramcharger, PM me an address and i'll feeze up a mess and send em to ya overnite. I hate to deprive a good buddy of a good mess of vidals. After you fry em up make you some flour gravy to spoon over the biscuits. You guys do know what biscuits are dont ya? LMAO !!! We really had a blast shooting those critters. At one time we had 4 or 5 laying dead around the feeder and the others would walk across the dead ones to get to the feed, then we would kill them. Lots of fun. Head shots only. That way you dont spoil any meat.
Small Block

Ell, I know where you're coming from. My grandmother use to live in Whittier. Not many Squirrels out there. Well i guess there is but they stand about 6' or so i guess. Let me know if you want to try some and i'll do ya like Ramcharger, but you have to promise to try em. Do you know what a biscuit is? If not go to Mc Donalds and ask them to show ya one or maybe ask your mom to make you a batch, and until ya get the squirrels load em up with butter and some sorgum molasses. Now i'm making myself hungry.
Small Block

gray squirrels? I have had many many different types of game but I haven't tried squirrel yet. Hmm I might just have to do that one of these days.

21, We have greys and fox squirrels. The fox squirrels are larger than the grey but more docile. The greys are a more nervous type and move about very rapidly. Like i said before "Good stuff Maynard". Memike will chime in here drectly.....that's a hillbilly term....drectly. I'll talk him into coming up and we'll do a photo shoot......squirrels of course.
Small Block

Squirrel is yummy!! I like mine buffalo style!! Haven't had any in forever! Did eat venison 3 times when I was back home this summer. Love that stuff too!

This is so weird :-D I thought everyone has had Squirrel, My two boys had Squirrel before they was broke off baby food, I like frying them up like bill said and it makes the best gravy =P~ I also boil them and make Squirrel and dumplings, Back in the day that was some of the best eating and full of protein and flavor, A hell of allot better then chicken and dumplings.
My aunt would make a big pot of beans and Squirrel,rabbit and ham and freeze it for a trail mix for the bear hunt here in North East Arkansas.
I have been fattening my Squirrels up here on corn and waiting for that perfect time to step out the back door and nail me a few at a time.
And that time is getting closer and I will do a thread on it.
Yep Yall are missing out for sure =P~=P~

Squirrels are grrrreat!!

I love them boiled, then rolled in seasoned flour and fried till brown. Save the broth and make a gravy to serve with the biscuits and mashed potatoes

Ever had rabbit? Squirrel kinda tastes the same.

Ever had chicken? Don't taste nothing like squirrel OR rabbit lol

Bill you make me home sick for my Mom's squirrel gravy... yumm yummm
move over Maynard and save me some!!
:cheers:

Mike, I knew you were an old squirrel eater from way back. You'll have to come up and bring the camera and we'll show em what a squirrel hunt looks like. We got you a room so no need to call Budget 8. Dont worry about rain. We have real blinds and you wont get wet. The squirrels move in the rain. I've got that old Anschultz .22 with that 3x9 scope tuned up. Head shots only. Let me know when your comin Mike.
Small Block

Yup squirrel's good eating, I use a lever action browning with a 4 power rifle scope for those 50 yard head shoots.

Terry

"Head shots only" I hunt deer with a .17 HMR. Bull barrel with a 3x9 Redfield. Not legal but if ya head shoot em they drop like a rock and dont spoil no meat. I guess you could say i'm a meat hunter. Did i mention they drop like rock? My best shot was 425 yds at a .......never mind......but it was dead. I told a trooper today thet if she were ever pinned down just to give me a call on the cell. I've been known to make a few 700 yd shots. I would have made a good sniper.
Small Block

i like my tree rats in a nice flour gravy served over rice or cooked like backstrap with mashed taters and gravy.

Pretty accurate too Joe. I also shoot a Remington Junior Target special with the Lyman peep site on it. Pretty deadly. Got your PM so i'll be in touch with Mike and we'll come up with a plan.
Small Block

-
Back