Squirrels....

-
Ell, I know where you're coming from. My grandmother use to live in Whittier. Not many Squirrels out there.

You're 100% right, Small Block. Not too many tree squirrels out here. About the only things similar in the city are ground squirrels and I wouldn't eat them. We do have grey squirrels up in the local mountains, but can't say I've ever hunted them.
I've gone hunting for dove, rabbit, and quail locally. Good eating all. I've also had venison, elk, bear, and buffalo. My grandfather used to have a big family bbq every year when he got back from deer hunting. Good stuff!

The squirrels were bad this year. Little SOB's got all my apples and pomegranates. They did not last long after that. I traped or blasted them all. I don't eat them though, there ground suirrels. I like the quail better. Strangly enough so does my dog.

God I wish I could shoot the squirrels in my neighborhood, they are everywhere! I could walk around the block and count 25, but I have to drive at least 45 minutes away to actually shoot one. And I will be doing good to see 6 in a few hours hunting (no baiting in MI). Nothing better than squirrel in a cast iron pan in my cabin in West Virginia.

Hey Swinger, My FIL lives up in the country club area and on the average he kills no less than 140 squirrels a year and just throws em in the ditch. He uses a .22 rifle with shorts. Lots of em in the city but he takes care of em anyway.
Small Block

Come by my house, the little b@#tards are everywhere. Over the years they have chewed a hole in my eves,I caught heck gettin them out of my attic, then they tried to do it again the following year. They have chewed and f-uped several other things to. I have 1 1/2 acres, but its a subdivision, soo, I have to use a pellet gun, not very accurate.lol
I have never eaten them, I give em to my dogs :-D
My cat used to kill them, but he's 11yrs old. He just lays in the yard and watches them run by

I sat on the deck after a long nap and watched the one of many here on my 2 acres of mostly oaks get feed and to get good and tender for my dumplings and gravy I need for this winter, A hell of a lot better then chicken and there diet is better =P~

Getting things started to run 4 barrel 050.jpg

Getting things started to run 4 barrel 048.jpg

Eating squirrel is definitely a midwest-eastern US thing. Not too many of those critters here in the Arizona desert! Dove, yes. Quail, yes. After that I guess it moves up to javelina and deer. (Who wants to eat coyote? Not me!) Even in the AZ high country the squirrels are relatively puny things.

Growing up as a city kid, I never was much of a hunter. I did shoot birds for a couple of years, but if civilization crashes some day I'm going to have to team up with someone if my family is to survive.

MeMike, I can see a real good head shot in that second picture. For that matter theres a good shot in the first. The first shot wont get any blood on your feeder. The second will, but that doesn't seem to bother the other squirrels. I've had em lying dead around the feeder and the ones coming in would walk across the dead ones to get to the feed.
Small Block

I was gifted a good ol model 41 Remington TargetMaster from my father inlaw last week :happy10::happy10: This 22 has a 32 1/4'' long barrel from the end to the back of the bolt and 27'' from the loading chamber to the end of the barrel over all 44''.
I did some tree twig trimming with it and he' is ready to go 8).
Harold did not know what year it is ,but said his father got it back in about 1955.
I looked it up and these model 41 was only made for 3 year 1936 to 1939.
it will shoot 22shorts longs and long riffle and it throws the spent casings straight forward. All I have are long riffle shells and I am going to pick up a brick of shorts and see just how quite it is, Because it is the quietest 22 I have ever shot. Thank you Harold (my father in law) for another great riffle to go in the collection :happy10: This one will be putting some squirrel in my diet =P~

Getting things started to run 4 barrel 085.jpg

Getting things started to run 4 barrel 086.jpg

I'll stick to gator meat and frog legs, thank you.

Nice rifle Mike! I'll bet it is quiet with that long barrel.
Thank you Joe, So the longer the barrel the quieter it is :read2: The four arm feel so go and the trigger is just a soft short (very short) motion. I need to take it to the flat lands and see what it does at 125 yard.

I'll stick to gator meat and frog legs, thank you.
I have had gator tail meat and bushels frog legs and can't get enough of it, It's been a couple years since I enjoyed gator.

Hey Smallblock. I just got back from a New Mexico elk hunt. They have these Albert's Squirrels down there that are the size of cats. I wanted to shoot one and mount it, but decided to stick with the elk.

albert4.jpg

I heard Squrrels were high in cholesterol.....

You could also stuff it and hang it on the wall.

You could stuff it then set it out in an open field close to a creek and poor bever blood around it and hope and pray on a big cat to jump on it :clock::clock::clock::clock::clock::clock::clock::clock::clock::clock:8)

I heard Squrrels were high in cholesterol.....
let me look that up Tincup. They eat allot of protein and live in a tree and give milk :read2: Rabbit is the top of the good meat to eat they live in the bushes and barn and in the ground 8) It makes me go HHmmmmm. 8)

Hey Smallblock. I just got back from a New Mexico elk hunt. They have these Albert's Squirrels down there that are the size of cats. I wanted to shoot one and mount it, but decided to stick with the elk.
That is a very cool looking Squirrel Badart :happy10: Thank you for sharing 8) A big Red fox Squirrel needs to get him some of that and see what the kid's look like :glasses9: But the Fox Squirrels only get to about 2 1/2 lb's

800px-Fox_squirrel_with_sunflowerseed_by_tree_South_Bend_Indiana_USA (Custom).jpg

-
Back