SRD Assassin's vs Cal-Trac`s?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
Anyone here running SRD Assassin bars on their A Body? If so any feedback on quality, Fit, clearance and so forth??

Trying to decide between these and Caltracs. The cost is basically the same but it appears that SRD has more adjustment and the big thing is they supposedly work with my existing Leaf springs where as I would need to also buy Mono Leafs if I went with Cal-tracs more than doubling the total cost.

Opinions?? Anyone have experience with both?

I have assassin bars on mine. I don't have any feed back yet but I know other people have seen gains in the 60 foot with assassins over caltracs

link as ive never heard of them.

Caltracs work with stock springs, just not SS springs do to how the SS spring works.

Almost looks like too much adjustment. How would you know where to start?

I wonder what the deal is with that little snubber on the front spring pivot, looks like a short version of the old Lakewood traction bars.

Link here.

These are on my car. Ive yet to run them but by summers end I should be. Guys have been 1.10 60ft on 275s with the srd bars.

Personally, I would think they would work worse then Cal Tarc's. I didn't have any luck with Cal Trac's, on 2 different cars. The instant center is too short on A bodies, because the front spring half is one of the shortest on any car @ 19"These would make it even shorter as far as I can see.
Foot braking maybe, but no big horse power or trans brakes.I am just sharing my experience, and it wasn't good. There are many that agree with me about Cal Trac's, but there are those that don't too.
I would ladder bar it, or just run SS springs and a snubber, that worked better for me.
They may plant the tires hard on launch, but you may experience tire un-load at 60'.

Good reading here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=248409

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=233491

Fwiw they hit the frame with offset hangers badly. I am still debating on what to do about it as well.

Personally, I would think they would work worse then Cal Tarc's. I didn't have any luck with Cal Trac's, on 2 different cars. The instant center is too short on A bodies, because the front spring half is one of the shortest on any car @ 19"These would make it even shorter as far as I can see.
Foot braking maybe, but no big horse power or trans brakes.I am just sharing my experience, and it wasn't good. There are many that agree with me about Cal Trac's, but there are those that don't too.
I would ladder bar it, or just run SS springs and a snubber, that worked better for me.
They may plant the tires hard on launch, but you may experience tire un-load at 60'.

Good reading here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=248409

I have a 21" front half spring setup. I only moved the rear housing back an inch from factory stock 20". If I cant get them to work ill quickly go to a ladder link bar setup in a hurry. Im not gonna screw around with unusable suspension myself.

Mine was offset, and Cal Trac's didn't hit, and I was running a 13.5 wide tire, mini tubbed.

True but caltracs bend the **** out of leaf springs with any kind of power applied. Many high powered cars that ran the caltrac replaced the springs regularly...as in once a year. The srd eliminates that problem.

True but caltracs bend the **** out of leaf springs with any kind of power applied. Many high powered cars that ran the caltrac replaced the springs regularly...as in once a year. The srd eliminates that problem.

I ran CT Mono leafs, moved inboard. 80 hits,5500 converter/transbrake springs were fine.Guy running it now has 40 hits, same combo, springs are fine.
Trust me, go straight to ladder bar's....You are correct, A bodies have 20" spring, was going off memory. But most ladder bar setups, are a minimum of 32" so 1" isn't going to help.
You can see the car in my avatar, that is how I fixed my Cal Trac issue! LOL

I ran CT Mono leafs. 80 hits,5500 converter/transbrake springs were fine.Guy running it now has 40 hits, same combo, springs are fine.

Then I wouldnt put you in the high hp catagory. More a bracket motor category. I was refering to thw 1000+hp group of guys. I have seen many of bent leaf fronts where the caltrac puts its front on the spring. The srd lift point in at the eyelet not behind it like the caltrac.

Then I wouldnt put you in the high hp catagory. More a bracket motor category. I was refering to thw 1000+hp group of guys. I have seen many of bent leaf fronts where the caltrac puts its front on the spring. The srd lift point in at the eyelet not behind it like the caltrac.

Why would someone with that much HP, being Cal Tracs?

One good option is to modify/move the front mounting point forward and use a 25" front spring segment. Much better instant center. Many of the fast, high HP NOS/ turbo 10.5 tire Mopar A-body guys are switching to the Chevy front segment for this reason.
Check the rules to see if this bumps you out of your class, though.

One good option is to modify/move the front mounting point forward and use a 25" front spring segment. Much better instant center. Many of the fast, high HP NOS/ turbo 10.5 tire Mopar A-body guys are switching to the Chevy front segment for this reason.
Check the rules to see if this bumps you out of your class, though.

No they end up going to a ladder bar usually not a front spring extension. Only one I know of who as done as you say. It is beneficial to go this route cuz it allows some wiggle room after the hit and doesnt unload the tires. The short segment hits extremely hard but also tough to get to stick with spray or n/a applications who use all their power at the hit. Turbo cars do not apply all the power immediately so it could work for me. Which is the only reason im even attempting it. I may jump right into a ladder bar setup once completed but only a few tries will tell. I do not want to fight my suspension all the time. Shock adjustment fine but constant ic changes as well....nah hell with that.

How fast are you boys talkin about runnin? The SS rear suspension will handle cars as quick as in the eights.

How fast are you boys talkin about runnin? The SS rear suspension will handle cars as quick as in the eights.

In the 1/4? About a second faster than that. Also not with a 4x4 stance like the ss springs love to sit. Im after mid 7s myself and mid/high 4's in the 1/8th.

I am running the assasin bars. Here is my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,578
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,979
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,711
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,428
I'm in the same boat as turbo freak.. i still have the stock length front segment.. I'm hoping it will work.. I've spent quite a bit of money on my leaf setup.. i didn't know about people using the linger front segment till after I bought all my stuff.. I'm hoping that with vertically mounted double adjustable shocks and a nice anti roll bar that it will work good..

-
Back