SRT8 Duster Swap

-

loki88

Reaction score
So, I'm not entirely sure exactly where to post this so I am posting it here as well as in the Body/Interior/Trim as well. I am in the planning phase of an epic project. I plan on taking a '72 Duster and dropping in a 6.1 Hemi drivetrain from one of the SRT8's. In addition I want to drop in the complete interior from an SRT8. The front buckets, the center console, the dash, steering wheel, even the back bench set. I know this will be a ridiculous amount of work but I feel that the end state of it will be utterly amazing. I was just curious if anyone has seen or knows of someone doing such an extensive swap. I have been looking for anything swapped interior wise to see what issues they may have run into and how they solved it but have had no success.

I know you can make the front buckets work, but am unsure of the rear bench. As far as the center console, I know some have used the stock SRT 8 shifter, but built their own console around it.

Before you get too, far into this, you might want to take a tape measure and simply measure the width of an SRT 8 Charger and your Duster. If the Charger is significantly wider than your Duster than you know that swapping the rear seat is simply not an option.

Personally, I'd simply have the rear seat recovered in leather with similar pleating, and logos to match the look and feel of the factory SRT8 seats. Simpler and probably cheaper.

As far as the cluster, I haven't seen anyone do that. The good news is if you did, you'd probably be the first!

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Sounds like a lot of work, but you will have a very nice car at the end! There is a guy on Moparts, who has about the same scope of a project going with a 70 GTX. He is using the drivetrain,dash and seats from a wrecked Charger R/T with a 5.7 Hemi and NAG1 5 spd automatic. The only thing I know of to caution you about if you use the NAG1 automatic, is to plan on using the entire braking system from whatever parts car you get to scavenge your other parts from. Reason being, from what I have been told...the NAG1 transmission uses the antilock sensors in each wheel to get a speed reading, and averages those readings to get the mph, which the computer uses to determine the shift points in the transmission. From all I have heard and read, the brake sensors are the only way the NAG1 can get speed readings, as they have no input or output sensors. I'm putting a 5.7 Hemi in a 70 Duster, and using a 545RFE 5 spd automatic from a 2007 2wd Durango. It's a little more floor hacking, but a lot easier overall installation. Good luck with your project, and look at all of the 3rd Gen Hemi swap threads here. I have learned a great deal from them.:prayer:

welcome. i am looking forward to your progress. you may be able to cut that back seat down to fit the duster i've seen this done on a few other vehicles in the past. everything is possible

So, I'm not entirely sure exactly where to post this so I am posting it here as well as in the Body/Interior/Trim as well. I am in the planning phase of an epic project. I plan on taking a '72 Duster and dropping in a 6.1 Hemi drivetrain from one of the SRT8's. In addition I want to drop in the complete interior from an SRT8. The front buckets, the center console, the dash, steering wheel, even the back bench set. I know this will be a ridiculous amount of work but I feel that the end state of it will be utterly amazing. I was just curious if anyone has seen or knows of someone doing such an extensive swap. I have been looking for anything swapped interior wise to see what issues they may have run into and how they solved it but have had no success.

I would contact HPI customs in Manitoba Canada. Tyler just did the same thing as you are thinking about to a 69 Camaro and a new Cadillac CTS -V. The car went to SEMA it was given high praise from GM engineers. The car is call RS-V .
http://hpicustoms.com/index.html

An example from down under! This is an Aussie Charger from around 1975, fitted with 5.7 Hemi 5 speed auto Jaguar front suspension etc.

View attachment 1.jpg

View attachment 2.1.jpg

It was fitted with an SRT interior (seats dash etc) the only thing that lets it down a bit was the door panels. They had a go at making some shape to them, to cover aftermarket power windows I presume. Shame about the wrinkle above the arm rest! The speaker is in the worst possible place, but overall the interior looks the part.

View attachment 2.jpg

View attachment 3.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

Here's a shot of the Hemi, real nice fit in one of these cars. As some said before the auto can be bit of a problem, just takes a bit more work.

View attachment 5.jpg

Anything can be done with enough time, and money.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Marty

So, I see the front seat has the release to fold and slide forward granting access to the rear seats. Did he simply use different buckets and wrapped them in the Chrysler leather? Or did he somehow how add the folding lever to the Chrysler seat?

I have seats out of a challenger to go in my duster , the passenger side has the release lever like that , because of it being a 2 door . I dont believe the 4 door cars like the charger have those

I believe that lever in the pic could be the lumbar adjustment.

-
Back