SRT8CUDA Stranded in Normal IL

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Pulled into the hotel in Normal IL and car was running rough. Noticed I only had abt 10 psi fuel pressure ?(55-58 usually). Checked underneath and it is the fuel pump. An in-tank Walbro 255 that I got from Rock Valley along with a modified fuel tank.
Exploring options such as getting my son to drive down and trailer it home (cant get here until Monday) or seeing if I can find a shop here to drop the tank and get me a new pump.
Does anyone know of other options here for a good shop?
Thx
Jim

any chance of splitting the fuel line, adding in a second rotary vane pump and using it to limp home?

and you may want to ask a moderator to put this in the general section where it gets more traffic

There is a speed shop in Peoria about 45 minutes away. They may have a pump. It is called Winners Circle.

T
There is a speed shop in Peoria about 45 minutes away. They may have a pump. It is called Winners Circle.
thx
Will check in am. Hotel checkin guy was really helpful. Knows a local mechanic who is a retired vet and likes to help people!!
If I can get a pump I'm all set

T

thx
Will check in am. Hotel checking guy was really helpful. Knows a local mechanic who is a retired vet and likes to help people!!
If I can get a pump I'm all set
If anything maybe Summit racing can ship you a pump same day or next day to your Hotel or repair shop.

I can pick the pump up at Winners circle and bring it to you if need be. I am 10 minutes from Winners circle and 45 minutes from Normal.

I can pick the pump up at Winners circle and bring it to you if need be. I am 10 minutes from Winners circle and 45 minutes from Normal.
Wow, thank you!
I need to phone Rock Valley in the morning to ensure I have the correct model number fir the pump.
You guys are awesome!
Jim

Wow, thank you!
I need to phone Rock Valley in the morning to ensure I have the correct model number fir the pump.
You guys are awesome!
Jim
Oh..I am 10 minutes from Hughes engines also but don't know if they could help.

Just FYI, I have the same set up from rock valley and dropped fuel pressure last year. I ordered a pump but it was actually a bad connector at the in tank pump because the fuel degraded their connectors... I’d start there...

Just FYI, I have the same set up from rock valley and dropped fuel pressure last year. I ordered a pump but it was actually a bad connector at the in tank pump because the fuel degraded their connectors... I’d start there...
I hadn't thought about connectors, however the pump sounds really bad. I'll have to replace the regulator/filter in case the pump shed impeller bits etc. That will involve pulling all connectors apart.

If you get to the border in Windsor and you need help let me know. Currently stuck at work or I'd load up the truck and trailer and come get you.

Riddler

Good luck!! if i saw this earlier i'd be there to help.

what are you doing all the way down here?

Good luck!! if i saw this earlier i'd be there to help.

what are you doing all the way down here?
It is a long story!
We started on a "bucket list" trip on Route 66 on Sept 25th in the Cuda. As we went along, there was more and more clutch pedal free play and I couldnt figure out what was causing it. Was concerned it would not make it to CA and back home in Ontario. Got to Lebanon MO and had to make a decision to turn around and go home or rent a car and continue the trip. Decided to rent a car and carry on. Did the whole trip (5082 miles) in the rental and picked up the Cuda (was stored with a local car enthusiast) yesterday and left Lebanon fir Normal today. Had planned to be home on Sat.
Jim
Ps the RT66 tour surpassed all my expectations. Was with route66motortour.com

well if you drove on the original brick section of rt66 near Auburn IL its pretty cool! my brother lives there, has a lift, and i know more than 1 wally pump on his workbench.

well if you drove on the original brick section of rt66 near Auburn IL its pretty cool! my brother lives there, has a lift, and i know more than 1 wally pump on his workbench.
Yup. Drove on the bricks. One of the trip highlights!

Jim I didn’t see this post earlier. If you need a pump I do have a 255 in the tank I have set aside for my car. Would be happy to get it to you if you need it.

Well guys, everything seems to working out.
After renting a car this AM, i had the car towed (AAA) to the local mechanics shop in. Bloomfield. I started the car to move it forvthe tow truck and the fuel pump worked perfectly!! It took us abt 2 hrs to get the tank out and the pump assembly out. Then drove abt 2 hrs north of here to Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts in Stillman Valley IL. I bought my tank and pump from them in 2011. They immediately disassembled the unit, installed a new pump, hoses, wiring, seals etc. When I asked how much, they said no charge!!! I was stunned!
After talking for a bit, I decided to buy a spare pump and all the bits to do a replacement. The cost was $161. If anyone is looking fir custom fuel tanks, parts etc, please use this company and ask for Scott.
I also got a new fuel filter/regulator to put in. We will install the new parts tomorrow and hopefully we will be on our way.
Another tip for anyone doing one of these fuel injection projects- cut an access hole in the trunk floor so the pump can be removed without dropping the tank!! Then fabricate a cover plate.
I've been overwhelmed by how helpful everyone here in Normal has been as well as everyone on this forum.
Thank you all
Jim

IMG_3291.JPG

Got the fuel pump and tank reinstalled this am and everything looks good. Fuel pressure back to normal.
At the end, asked how much for the 4 hrs of work, answer $100.00!!! The mechanic saud he only charges $25/hr for his work!! I obviously gave him more than that for all his work. Great guy and apparently well known in the area.
In Fort Wayne tonight and will be home tomorrow, 4 weeks after we left on this bucket list trip.

Last edited:
-
Back