SS Springs + air shocks don't ride well

-

Popdart

Reaction score
I got my car (73 Swinger) with SS springs + air shocks. It is strictly going to be a cruiser, should never see the track. Seems very "bouncy", I've tried to adjust psi in shocks. Doesn't seem to have alot of effect. Haven't driven it much yet, so I've been checking by bouncing on rear up and down. What do you guys think? Drive it a while? Lose the air shocks? If so, is there a reasonably priced shock out there? I really don't want to replace the springs. Help? Rog

Super stock springs are stiff, Air shocks are worse. Loose the air shocks.

X2,...Go with gas shocks, maybe with the built-in coil springs,...worked for one of our shop vans,...but the springs might be a bit much for yours

I wouldn't put air shocks on anything.... I don't understand why they even make them.

Why would you need air shocks with SS springs?

What kind of pressure is in the shocks?
I have no idea why the previous owner added air shocks. I tried 20 psi and as much as 80 psi and doesn't feel much different.

Yeah, I'm going to pull them. I'm also considering of flipping the front shackles to lower it a bit. See pic.
Thanks guys . . . . . . Rog

Attachments

• Dart (17).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Dart (16).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 182
My Duster has air shocks in it. First ting I did was let all the air out till I buy regular shocks.

The car sits nice... Gas shocks are the ticket.. Hope you find they feel better after the swap

Cool.Flip the front shackle,better pinion angle,better bite.As for shocks,use a rear 50/50 gas shock for a 1971 Imperial.This shock has the travel to plant the rear tire with those S/S springs.Try the cheaper stuff,until you hit the 10s.Do yourself a favor,spend 30 dollars on a Mopar chassis book.Buy one from scummit,or your local Mopar dealer.

-
Back