SS Springs

-

mprbluez

Reaction score
New here, my 73 Duster had this set up when I bought it, It has the 4120863 SS springs on both sides. it sits to high in the back for my taste and rides to rough, has anybody pulled one leaf out of these springs and how much did it drop it and did it soften the ride? or any other ideas thanks.

Attachments

• 100_0149.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 673
Try breaking the leaf spring u-bolt nuts loose with the wheels on the ground and the re-torquing them to the correct 45 LB FT. Sometimes people incorrectly tighten them with the weight off the wheels and it puts the springs in a bind.

They do settle down after a little while. ESPO.com has 1" over end springs that ride nicely fwiw. Removing springs leafs I have not done & do not recommend. There are lowering blocks available along with shims to retilt/angle the rear.

Try breaking the leaf spring u-bolt nuts loose with the wheels on the ground and the re-torquing them to the correct 45 LB FT. Sometimes people incorrectly tighten them with the weight off the wheels and it puts the springs in a bind.

While you're doing that you can put a 1 or 2" drop block in there and longer U bolts which will keep the same spring rate but lower the car. This car has 2" blocks and SS springs.

34B159C5-AC7D-4710-A067-60311F9A8A79_zpsyylbqlub.jpg

You have 2 SS springs intended for the same side. - Some people did this to make the car sit level. -- I have SS Springs with 2 different part numbers on my 69 Valiant and it sits pretty much level - hardly noticeable. -- Call Jims auto parts 603-898-0535 to discuss stiffness etc. - also check -- www.jimsautoparts.com -- See attached. --

Attachments

• SS SPRINGS.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 653
Stay away from Jims the guy is a ripoff and the woman(his wife) that answers the phone is the rudest person on the planet i'd never buy anything from him..

Stay away from Jims the guy is a ripoff and the woman(his wife) that answers the phone is the rudest person on the planet i'd never buy anything from him..

This !!! Stay away, you've been warned.

Also, if you lubricate the bushings on the springs and shocks with synthetic disc brake grease, the suspension will move through it's range of motion without binding, noises and sticktion. It won't attack rubber or plastic and noticeably improves movement of the suspension. It lasts a super long time too.

-- Thanks - I don't know anything about Jim's - just found the info on the Internet, mainly regarding the info, in the table, about SS part numbers, etc.

Thanks everyone for the information. Sounds like the best way to go is to use lowering blocks. any info on the best place to order them from. BrianT nice Demon, what size tires are on the rear and what are you using for shocks ?

I noticed in the mopar chassis manual something about flattening the springs ....I take the springs to a spring shop and let them press out the arc some...rides better, handles better also...and keeps the shocks from topping out when drag racing...

YES! Longer shocks need to be installed, a very very overlooked thing.

The lowering blocks should also be used with wedge's to fix the differentials angle.

BrianT, what S/S springs do you have?

MPRBluez, your car looks great as is. Just my opinion.

What is the rear shackle angle? Is the top of the shackle forward of the rear spring eye?

You have the lowest rated SS spring on the car. They shouldn't ride stupid rough.

That would be the first thing I would try. It costs nothing and might fix it.

BrianT nice Demon, what size tires are on the rear and what are you using for shocks ?

It's a friend's car. I'm not sure what size tires that he's running but I know he has Bilstein shocks on it and it rides pretty nice.

BrianT, what S/S springs do you have?

He was told it had SS springs on it when he bought it. The previous owner installed the lower blocks also.

It's a friend's car. I'm not sure what size tires that he's running but I know he has Bilstein shocks on it and it rides pretty nice.

He was told it had SS springs on it when he bought it. The previous owner installed the lower blocks also.

Mind if I hijack slightly and ask where to get the lowering blocks for 8 3/4 - SS Springs?
Thanks!

Honestly, i like the way the car looks as is.
If you alter the springs, you are defeating the purpose for what they are intended to do, which is launching the car at the drag strip.
You should just buy springs that are more suited to the car for your tastes and just install them......

Honestly, i like the way the car looks as is.
If you alter the springs, you are defeating the purpose for what they are intended to do, which is launching the car at the drag strip.
You should just buy springs that are more suited to the car for your tastes and just install them......
-- X2 --
icon7.gif
--

Putting lowering blocks on super stock springs will put more leverage on the springs by the axle. This will increase spring wrap on hard launches which is exactly what ss springs are designed to eliminate. Any competent spring shop should be able to de arch the spring which is better than putting lowering blocks in.

De arching is easy if you have the correct equipment. I have de arched and re arched springs in my driveway. Just take the spring pack completely apart and place each individual spring in a jig working the spring against or with the arch depending on which way you are trying to go. Be subtle with your changes. If done correctly this will flatten the spring out and you will still have the extra half leaf that is on the ss springs ring to control axle wrap. Get an old set of springs to take apart and experiment with.

Putting lowering blocks on super stock springs will put more leverage on the springs by the axle. This will increase spring wrap on hard launches which is exactly what ss springs are designed to eliminate. Any competent spring shop should be able to de arch the spring which is better than putting lowering blocks in.

De arching is easy if you have the correct equipment. I have de arched and re arched springs in my driveway. Just take the spring pack completely apart and place each individual spring in a jig working the spring against or with the arch depending on which way you are trying to go. Be subtle with your changes. If done correctly this will flatten the spring out and you will still have the extra half leaf that is on the ss springs ring to control axle wrap. Get an old set of springs to take apart and experiment with.

This is very true. The same effect happened on my '68. I am running two passenger side, 2800lbs SS springs and 1" lowering blocks purchased from Speedway Motors.(they have the largest selection including billet, which is the way to go.)

I run the exact same 2800lbs springs on my 1970 e-body with a big block & 5-speed. The car launches very hard, barely wraps the springs and rides better than it has with any other combination back there. It rides like a regular car now. First time in nearly 40 years.

I could feel the spring wrap after the install of the blocks. I am currently using slapper bars, because I don't like the harsh ride a properly adjusted pinion snubber gives by limiting the travel of the differential. Slapper bars work excellent and have only a very minor affect on the ride quality. I painted mine low sheen black, so they are hard to see on the car. :burnout:

Here's a picture of the stance with 1" lowering blocks. Those rear tires are 275/60-15's

Attachments

• Santa Cruz'ing.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 458
I usually set my shackles close to 45 degrees to the rear for the rear shackles to travel. If you race with super stock springs ; the rear end of the car wants to rise. the shackles take up the travel in the suspension[as car rises,the rear shackles come forward as the spring bends with the rise] If you start with less arc in your springs,you have more suspension travel and you won't need longer shocks or the shock extensions you see on a lot of cars. de-arc cost without taking springs apart was $20 [they use a hydraulic press]

-
Back