SSBC front disc conversion?

-

Six5Cuda

Reaction score
Just bought a set of ten inch drum spindles from Ebay today and am planning on ordering the SSBC front disc kit soon. Has anyone else installed this kit, and how did it go? I know there was an install in either mopar muscle or mopar action, but I would like to hear from some of us regular guys that have done the installation. I have a 65 Barracuda with a 273 and a 904. Any feedback would be appreciated. Don't mind the geo avatar that's my "race car" haha

Just bought a set of ten inch drum spindles from Ebay today and am planning on ordering the SSBC front disc kit soon. Has anyone else installed this kit, and how did it go? I know there was an install in either mopar muscle or mopar action, but I would like to hear from some of us regular guys that have done the installation. I have a 65 Barracuda with a 273 and a 904. Any feedback would be appreciated. Don't mind the geo avatar that's my "race car" haha

geo avatar that's my "race car" :angry7:

i just got done doing this to a 64 valiant vert. it stops great. in about 200 or so miles it'll stop even better. the brakes need to temper themselves and break in(especially new rotors). i did it in 10 hours of labor. that included bending new lines for the fronts since the old ones were rusted and broke.

I installed them a few seasons ago, the only problem I had was that my factory steelies wouldn't fit. The caliper got in the way. I could have probably just ground off some of the caliper, instead I used a very small spacer. I'm switching to the big bolt pattern this summer, so I can do away with the damn thing. Brakes work fantastic though!

I bought and installed one from them in 2000. I wouldn't recommend installing one without a power booster. I find myself pulling on the steering wheel to get enough pressure on the pedal to stop. Maybe they've made changes since then to make it better, but that's how mine is. Mopar Muscle said the same thing.

this kit they use the 1 1/32" bore master. it works great as a manual disc setup.

put mine on last march. It went well, i rebuilt the entire front suspension and new brake lines front and rear. I dont remember having any problems other than the 14" steel rims scraping on the caliper a little. I wanted new rims anyway...

went with 15" aluminum, on 4" pattern.

i think they work good as a manual setup. I don't need power brakes, they stop great compared to the drums.

I installed this kit on my 1965 Barracuda last year. The kit is very complete and includes everything. I only needed to buy some additional brake line due to the location I chose on the frame rail for the proportioning valve. The instructions do not have pictures. I used Mopar Muscle magazine's article as a guide.

http://tinyurl.com/29ds3g

My car had 10" drums so I did not have to change the spindles. I spent a Saturday installing the parts and Sunday plumbing and bleeding the brakes.

When the brakes were finished, I took the car out for a test drive and thought the brakes did not work as well as the drums (more foot pressure required). After driving a couple hundred miles, the brakes now feel superior to the original drum system. No need for a power brake booster. My car originally came with 13" wheels. I've read that the steel 14" wheels will not fit but the 14" Rallye wheels will work. I chose to go with 15" small bolt pattern Rallyes from Wheel Vintiques.

Don

IMG_1113 (Small).JPG

IMG_1062 (Small).JPG

IMG_1056 (Small).JPG

I installed this kit on my 1965 Barracuda last year. The kit is very complete and includes everything. I only needed to buy some additional brake line due to the location I chose on the frame rail for the proportioning valve. The instructions do not have pictures. I used Mopar Muscle magazine's article as a guide.

My car had 10" drums so I did not have to change the spindles. I spent a Saturday installing the parts and Sunday plumbing and bleeding the brakes.

When the brakes were finished, I took the car out for a test drive and thought the brakes did not work as well as the drums (more foot pressure required). After driving a couple hundred miles, the brakes now feel superior to the original drum system. No need for a power brake booster. My car originally came with 13" wheels. I've read that the steel 14" wheels will not fit but the 14" Rallye wheels will work. I chose to go with 15" small bolt pattern Rallyes from Wheel Vintiques.

Don

that's because there is a difference between 14" steel disc brake rims and 14" drum brake rims. the car i just did, the customer had the rims sent to me, and 2 were disc and 2 were drum.

14" Ralleys do fit. I didn't know there was 2 different types of 14" steel rims. We tried most of the rims I had and none would fit so we had to use the ralleys to roll the car around.

frontwheels.jpg

Thank you for all your feed back. Your pictures of your cuda made me want mine to be finished so much more. Your car looks like mine's twin. I will definately be ordering that kit soon.

Did mine a few months ago. They are really easy to install. I had to use a 5mm spacer because my wheels hit the caliper. I didn't want to grind it either. I have 15" sbp wheels. I didn't get the power setup because my cam is a little too radical. I don't think they are necessary in our small cars.

47b7d632b3127cceb9ad8a774cfe00000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc25b3127cceb25c2bc5e04500000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

where did you get the kit from?---I want to redo the front on my 66 valiant signet 100 convertible to disk brakes....what sites sell the kits?....have a link?

Anytime you change the rotor, pad or both, no matter what, you need to bed (aka brake) them in. This heat cycles the rotor and pad removing any impurities and beds them in together. Google search brake bed in there are plenty of how to's. Some pad compounds require more bed in then others.

Don

Why not use the kit that changes the bolt pattern to 5x4.5 instead of the sbp? The sbp is limited to stock or SS Cragars or Anson sprints. All of the Torq Thrust wheels are bbp. Just curious ???

My 65 Barracuda formula S has this kit and loves it! Runs good with a 1970's 318 that is painted and set up just like a 273 original motor! This car has been mostly restored mechanically and runs great! In fact will be in Fox Lake Illinois mopar meet this Sunday! I love to drive it rolls straight and stops quick on the manual dual brakes! I did run down the quarter mile after it was done cutting a smooth 15 second run! Keep it simple silly KISS methodology is my way these days!!

65Cudalover!

I read through the Mopar article which was great. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it says this brake kit can be set up for 4 inch SBP or can be set up for 4.5 inch large bolt pattern. Just knockout the studs.

So if you keep SBP and eventually switch to LBP can you keep these brakes?

I read through the Mopar article which was great. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it says this brake kit can be set up for 4 inch SBP or can be set up for 4.5 inch large bolt pattern. Just knockout the studs.

So if you keep SBP and eventually switch to LBP can you keep these brakes?

Yes that is correct. They also give you 2 sets of studs when you get the kit.

-
Back