Stainless braided trans lines

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I got a new of stainless steel braided transmission lines with 6an fitting on the transmission side and 6 SAE fittings (5/16 inverted flare) on the radiator. I got them on ebay and one was about 12" too long, I had asked if I could send it back and simply get a new one 12" shorter with the same fittings, instead he suggested that I cut the line and he would send me an aeroquip 6an reusable fitting. So I followed the instructions put it in and no problems for about a week, then it started leaking. I pulled it off cut it again and put the fitting back according to the instructions, it worked again for about a week, now it is leaking again. The guy is no longer on ebay and won't answer my e-mails. So I need to find somewhere that will make a custom line with appropriate the fittings on each end. or some suggestions on how to make the fittings I have work, or new leak proof fittings. Thanks

Greg

I know this won't help your problem and just an observation but a 6AN fitting is a 3/8" fitting. AN fittings are in 16th of an inch, 6/16 rounds out to 3/8".

First off, I hope the braided lines you have are teflon lined or they will undoubtably have leak issues. The standard rubber AN line won't work well for long with transmission fluid. Check the Yellow Pages for any industrial supply house in your area that makes up hydraulic lines and they should be able to cut your existing line to the length you desire, permanently crimp on a new fitting and get you back in business.

Atomic Dog thanks for the info I'll do some checking tomorrow. Yes the lines are teflon coated, it's the fitting I am having problems with, not sure what the problem is.

The teflon fittings can be a pain if they use the small little ferrule, the biggest problem is not getting a single strand of wire between the fitting and teflon liner. I had the same problem before and the guys at the local hose/fitting/rubber supply place gave me a quick class. Make sure that you cut the teflon as straight and clean as possible, razor blade with a little tap from a hammer, after rolling back the outer stainless. The stainless is only there for abrasion help. Make sure the fitting fits nice and square to the hose and is not cockeyed or it will seep. Good luck.

Oh Yeah, TFE lines can be a pain. I've been doing them for years and still run a 95% leak-free rate on them. (It's just me, I get confused/rushed/distracted/stupid) Just take your time with them. Be methodical. Cut it, seperate the braid away from the teflon, insert the ferrule. Now this is where I learned my lesson. Seat the teflon to the inside of the ferrule with a rounded punch. This helps out so much. After it is seated, insert your fitting and then pull it back out to make sure you didn't mess up the hose. If it all is okay, reinsert the fitting, tighten that puppy up and go.

Revhendo

OH! One more thing I forgot. Use anti-seaze on the fittings when installing them. It can be messy, but muck one up dry and you'll know why.

-
Back