Stainless, Bushed PRW Rocker Arms

-
So I’m thinking that if the rocker is getting hot enough, it could expand the pin through the roller tip and stop it from from spinning causing it to wear a flat spot. What do the tips of your valves look like?

The roller doesn't actually spin , it usually just skids across the valve tip.

No, the roller rolls across the tip. If it skidded, every roller, no matter what brand, would soon develop a flat spot.

The cause of the worn bush seems obvious to me: poor/soft bronze. This particular valve train is lightly loaded, yet it still wore the bronze. I wouldn't be using grooved shafts either, you just remove surface area in a critically loaded area. One of the benefits of bronze is it requires minimal lubrication. Since two methods of oil supply were used, both normally very reliable, it is hard to believe the failure occurred through of lack of oil.

I agree that it looks like bushing failure. In that application I would use ampco 21.

The roller skips across the valve tip because of spring pressure.
This has been tested by Racer Brown on a running engine. and someone else I know. lol

And start running Amsoil hotrod oil. Talk to your local Amsoil.

bushed rockers require a banana groove on shaft, also oiling holes have to be angled down at 15 deg like factory shows, also, hyd cam with 1 turn preload is too much, best to run zero preload, i was informed by rocker outfit, roller rockers were not meant to be used on hyd cams, use on solid lifter cams, valve lash lets the roller rotate and not wear out, hyd lets it rock back and forth, in same spot causes wear pattern. just food for thought.

My thoughts...
Maybe bad bushing in them, all of them.

Or ..
Were the cam bearings clocked right feeding the heads? shafts oiling hole at stand large enough to feed needed amount to pressurize shafts? Was the cam journal full grooved like many are lately? Side clearance is to help prevent wear but along the same line also keep good pressure at the rocker =.010 side clearance.
Oil through push rods was a good idea etc.
Those are all things that would help 'outside of modifying the oiling at the rocker/shaft'.
Now i wanna double check the rockers on that 360...hmmm.

Is that a solid bushing?
My PRW stainless big block arms have 2 bushings with an oil well in the middle.

Wait.
Those have tiny grooves in them new.
They go the circumference...
I dont think they are honed properly, I think they fit tight iirr... that could be the 1st issue here.
Anyone have a new one?

My thoughts...
Maybe bad bushing in them, all of them.

Or ..
Were the cam bearings clocked right feeding the heads? shafts oiling hole at stand large enough to feed needed amount to pressurize shafts? Was the cam journal full grooved like many are lately? Side clearance is to help prevent wear but along the same line also keep good pressure at the rocker =.010 side clearance.
Oil through push rods was a good idea etc.
Those are all things that would help 'outside of modifying the oiling at the rocker/shaft'.
Now i wanna double check the rockers on that 360...hmmm.
I built the Engine with X Heads and stock non adjustable rocker arms and shafts
2 years before swapping to Trick Flows with PRW Rockers.
And had driven it about 20k Miles.
No problems with valve train at all.
The oil hole in the Trick Flow head is much smaller then factory, but they say it's plenty.
If it were a magnum with Trick Flow heads
All they get is pushrod oiling
The PRW Rockers are made to work with both LA and Magnum Engines.
So adding pushrod oiling to this 340 it's getting double the oil.
The side clearance was set at .010

I built the Engine with X Heads and stock non adjustable rocker arms and shafts
2 years before swapping to Trick Flows with PRW Rockers.
And had driven it about 20k Miles.
No problems with valve train at all.
The oil hole in the Trick Flow head is much smaller then factory, but they say it's plenty.
If it were a magnum with Trick Flow heads
All they get is pushrod oiling
The PRW Rockers are made to work with both LA and Magnum Engines.
So adding pushrod oiling to this 340 it's getting double the oil.
The side clearance was set at .010
What if I were to tell you I've seen that discoloration before with these rockers and on in LA roller motor with LA heads and very little spring pressure no geometry kit.

The bushing inside the rockers, were they micro grooved/have little lines you could feel like ours were?

Actually not on the first set but the second set did have one like that I sent it back to Mike @b3 he sent back another one.

Actually not on the first set but the second set did have one like that I sent it back to Mike @b3 he sent back another one.
They sold entire sets like that. Hundreds of people or more run them without knowing or reporting the problem. I never really thought to, I usually address ,correct and move on. Wish I thought to say something about it years ago...but I couldn't of though cause It was when I was banned . Around 2012.
Do the shafts feel worn too?

So the adjuster has been set correctly in the rocker to allow the oil feed window in the adjuster to line up with the hole in the rocker?
I'm still thinking bush quality..

It's either 1 full length bushing with a groove in the middle
Or 2 pressed tight together
Mine aren't pressed tight together, there's an oil well groove about an 1/8" or so wide, probably closer to 3/16

They sold entire sets like that. Hundreds of people or more run them without knowing or reporting the problem. I never really thought to, I usually address ,correct and move on. Wish I thought to say something about it years ago...but I couldn't of though cause It was when I was banned . Around 2012.
Do the shafts feel worn too?
I felt like the shafts should have been smoother / polished
I could feel very fine grooves with my fingernail.
I spoke with Mike about that he did not think that was a problem since it should have a film of oil between the rocker and shaft.

I have to say, I'd be interested to see what bronze is in those rocker.

It took me a fair amount of time cleaning and polishing before I was confident to set them up.
Even had to clearance the stand blocks to get the proper arm clearance and alignment

Thank you guys for all your input!
I'm really not looking for anything from PRW
Or Mike b3.
If there is a quality problem with the Bushings and rollers or shafts and if my experience can help them to produce a better product and or save someone else the trouble then I'd be Happy.
Thanks FABO!

-
Back