Stall converter recommendations

-

tonyp1987

Reaction score
Im running a 360 with a 727, and i just bought a new comp cam (XE268H). I dont know what brand or how high of a stall i should be running. Im running 3.23 gears for now, but plan on going 3.91 as soon as i can find someone to trade, or sell mine. any info will be appreciated.

you'll get a thousand different answers with that question....

in my opinion what i would do is call dynamic, ptc or ultimate and see what they recommend. make sure you are 100% honest about your combo and you intended use. if you are going to a 3.91 gear make sure you tell them that..

i called hughes and they told me that i should run a 3000 stall, but is there brands i should go for or stay away from? they wanted 450 bucks for the hughes too. what should i expect to spend?

Do you race the car?

If so, an expensive converter is the cheapest ET you'll ever buy.

I use Ultimate Converter for all my stuff.

Steve

I would stay away from Hughes. I second abodyjoes votes for dynamic and ultimate convertor.

i plan on using this car for mainly racing and summer weekends. I just had my 360 built and i haven't got it to run right. I was shooting for 400 horse but i feels more like 200. Im running a 360 with 10 to 1 compression, oregon cam grind 474 lift and 289 duration, 2.02 1.60 ported and polished heads, edelbrock air gap intake, 750 carter avs, and 340 manifolds. For the tranny its a 727 with a stage 2 shift kit, and a factory 340 high stall, and then a 8 3/4 with 323 suregrip. I dont have as much power as i expected. So i just picked up a set of headman headers, the new cam, and im searching for 391's and a stall converter. also how many inch converter should i run?

Something tight with a brake stall around 2400. If this is a street car first and foremost I like to keep the stall down below the typical "50mph" cruising rpm level. Otherwise you spend a lot of time driving a soggy responding car. that cam can be run with a stock convertor, and makes power just off idle.

You won't get 400hp with that set up. The exhaust manifolds and carb are not up to that. It might be a 315-340hp set up right now and with the 268H in it.

I have a couple of Hughes converters and the 3500 stall 10" converter one works great. Went 1.42 60' in a 3300# Duster 410", ~475hp, and not slipping up top. It's a good converter. Whether anyone else gets the same results? :dontknow:

I think as long as it can be tuned you're fine with the setup, and I would be surprised if you definately have 10:1 that it won't make 400. The manifolds flow very well, and the carb is about right but probably a little lean.

I got the TCI StreetFight 10 inch. Its great imo. Feels part throttle tighter than the TCI breakaway I used to have. Trans guy agreed with me, says its a better converter all the way around. Also told me its better to go with $500 converter than those $300.

Haven't run through the gears yet, got only 75 miles on it but today in 2nd gear on a two lane road I go to pass at 35 mph-with 3.91 gears, manual valve body. Darn thing pulled so hard I went on the shoulder on the other side of the road, ha ha. Just the two tires on the drivers side of the car People must have thought I was drunk, lol . Didn't lose control and was just one vehicle I passed, put on a scene none of less

my buddy is telling me there is a local place here in oregon that makes custom stall converters. I didnt get a chance to ask him what the company was. but he said it would be like 200 bucks.

If you want a good converter,don,t buy cheap!You,ll be wasting money.$200 for a stall converter=junk.JMO

IMO, if the engine is where you want it combo-wise, spend the coin on the best convertor you can get. If you might change more in short order, then I'd buy a cheap one that will work. The better convertors make street driving great and racing productive. The cheap ones compromise both of those.

A 3000 stall? They've lost their minds. If the rest of the engine matches that camshaft,a stock 340 converter would probably be best. Good grief. I thought they were supposed to be professionals. Remember, the stock 340 cam was bigger than that. It was 276 on one side, if I remember right.

ok so the local shop my buddy got a converter built for his sons car is called "superior converter". anyone heard of them? he said it was 200 bucks to get one built.

There used to be a local-to-me place. I never met them but some faster running friends of mine swore by the product. They built some great pieces and IIRC fairly cheaply. I don't believe they ever got to "household name" recognition. I think the place might still be there but the fellow that made the parts so good left. He started his own company. That would be Lenny at Ultimate. So while I wouldnt say that story is common, sometimes the local guys aren't as bad as some might be. If it was me, I'd ask for names of guys running them. Go to your local tracks and ask around. Usually the adadge "Speed costs money son. How fast do you want to go?" fits convertors the majority of the time but sometimes you find the diamond in the rough.

I'm getting a little more time on my 10 inch t.c. Its really nice...so much better than that pos breakaway I had..which was around $200 back then, lol.

Its really nice cause yesterday I took off easy making a U turn--Michigan has all these dumb turn arounds, where you have to drive past where you want to go and go to the left and make a U turn. "Michigan lefts" the media calls them with a smile. I call them a waste of time and fuel !! Anyhow traffic was coming fast up on me and AFTER I made 80% of the U turn I go squeeze the go-go pedal down about 50%. Both rear tires lit up spinning nicely--not super smoky fast but just enough. Was able to stay in my lane and still accelerate up to traffic speed-about 50 mph.

Was so easy and nice to handle. No jack rabbit start and in the past I could never lit the tires up that far in to a left turn due to the weight on the back tires...its a 1979 Magnum with amps and subwoofers in the trunk..and a 1/2 tank of fuel.

Now true I have a better motor with the rebuilt 340 but it was the stall speed. 3,000 is 3,000 even if you easily get on it. I drove it today and got the feel of it better. Can wait even like till 15 mph and start opening the throttle and I can hear the tires starting to loose grip. I have yet to floor it in 1st gear yet, only have 100 miles on it.

BUY a good 10 inch converter that cost at least $450, its well wroth it. Its like I got two converters. A hot stock converter at light throttle and a hot breakaway converter when ever I need it. Before I had too much slippage at 1,500-2,000 rpms and never a 3,000+ stall

-
Back