Stand recommendations.

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
This is how far $60 got me with Harbor Fright. Does anyone know of a preferred stand that can actually keep its chin up to a B/RB?
20180620_040127.jpg

I bought an HD one from Summit many years ago and it had a good lean to it with a B/RB on it. It did have 4 legs with casters, so it was a less nerve wracking, but I was careful when rotating the motor around. Handles an LA much better

I used the same one on my RB did not even come close to that lean, bring it back. Still was a bit nerve wracking.

HF stuff is cheap. (to buy and built) The metal they use is undersized and soft. If you need a 750# capacity you better get a 1500 or 2000# capacity to get the job done. Parts store stuff is better depending on manufacturer. Tool truck stuff is better but quite expensive.

A welder and 20 bucks or less worth of steel will turn a cheap HF stand into as strong as you will ever need

I wonder what bent. The arms or the plate?
Nothing bent it's just pulling down on the whole stand because the arms have no way to reach the upper bellhousing bolts no matter how I mess with it. It's an Rv 440 with six pack rods so it's a little heavier then normal but surely it's nowhere near the load limit.

Nothing bent it's just pulling down on the whole stand because the arms have no way to reach the upper bellhousing bolts no matter how I mess with it. It's an Rv 440 with six pack rods so it's a little heavier then normal but surely it's nowhere near the load limit.
100_4782.JPG
I see. You need to re position the arms. They always need to bolt to the top bolts on both sides. The center of the pivot tube needs to be centered and just above the crank centerline for good balance.

View attachment 1715189668 I see. You need to re position the arms. They always need to bolt to the top bolts on both sides. The center of the pivot tube needs to be centered and just above the crank centerline for good balance.
Unfortunately repositioning the arms into a position to reach the top bolts is simply not possible, I might get one arm in a top bolt but then two others have nowhere to hang because they cant reach anywhere else. I feel like this stand was made for a small block Chevy.

Unfortunately repositioning the arms into a position to reach the top bolts is simply not possible, I might get one arm in a top bolt but then two others have nowhere to hang because they cant reach anywhere else. I feel like this stand was made for a small block Chevy.
True that.

Did you try to flip the plate with the arms 180? Think I had to and add washers.

If you mean flip it so that the horizontal slots are on the bottom/top yes I did. I've seen pictures of people successfully mount a B/RB but i cant seem to work it out.

Last edited:
Been a few years remember it was a pia for some reason. I do remember I took the head off the stand and mounted it to the engine then put it back in the stand.

Think all four arms were facing up like in that other picture

Been a few years remember it was a pia for some reason. I do remember I took the head off the stand and mounted it to the engine then put it back in the stand.
That's what I like about those stands. My gear head doesn't come off. You have to line it up hanging from the chain.

That's a good idea, I'll try that when I get a chance, it's going to be easier then trying to man handle a dangling engine around.

Think I had to add washers on the block side of the bolts to get it to clear the crank also.

I have a couple and had to drill holes way out on the plate to get to the lower bell bolts

I bought a Lakewood stand 30 years ago and it has handled small block mopar, small block ford to Hemi's.

HF stuff is cheap. (to buy and built) The metal they use is undersized and soft. If you need a 750# capacity you better get a 1500 or 2000# capacity to get the job done. Parts store stuff is better depending on manufacturer. Tool truck stuff is better but quite expensive.

That's what I did (bought the heavier stand even though I only use it for small blocks)
Nice and stable.

This worked for me (not a HF unit), would have been nice to lower the engine some more. I have seen people use the arm as a spacer and not an extension by using one bolt not two. I think I may try that next time.
2014-07-20_001.jpg

Alan

Okay fellers looks like I've been riding the short bus this whole time
20180621_083131.jpg

-
Back